YouAreMySong

Question # 8 on I-134 Affidavit of Support

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

"8. The following persons are dependent upon me for support (Check the box in the appropriate column to indicate whether the person named is wholly or partially dependent upon you for support.)"

Please help. I'm confused on what to put on this question. I see that the VJ sample form on this put "None". But is it not that the beneficiary's name should be put in here? Is this question referring to the beneficiary since they cannot work when they get here until they get the work permit, thus a dependent? Thanks for any input.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I,'m sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe Question 8 refers to people you currently support, kids, etc. Remember this form is establishing your financial ability to support the beneficiary. If your paying 25% of your salary to child support, that would effect your ability to support a new person.

Question 11 is where you address support for the beneficiary.

Edited by slowlyman

No, because she is not dependent upon you now. The form is not asking about any future situation.

Makes sense but what if the petitioner IS currently supporting the beneficiary while in another country. I just wish they added the word "currently". Thanks

I,'m sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe Question 8 refers to people you currently support, kids, etc. Remember this form is establishing your financial ability to support the beneficiary. If your paying 25% of your salary to child support, that would effect your ability to support a new person.

Question 11 is where you address support for the beneficiary.

I was thinking about this too, kids but wasn't sure. Thanks

Any other inputs are welcome

Edited by YouAreMySong

Timeline

Makes sense but what if the petitioner IS currently supporting the beneficiary while in another country. I just wish they added the word "currently". Thanks

Question 11 specifically addresses the beneficiary. I don;t think thats what they are after in #8

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I wanna ask some questions :

I am k1 , and we have 5 year K2. My soulmate have 2 sons from his first marriage and he pays child support.

1.My fiancée must fill 2 different Afiddavits or just one with both of us in it?

2.in question 8 he puts my kid's name (k2) or his kids names , to whom he pays child support?

3. Did he fills one Afiddavit on my name and one on my kid name? Different ones ? If yes,

Is it right to fill on both his kids names as partial support?

4. What level for poverty we must cover - for 4 ( me, my k2, him, 0,5 for each 2 kids he have , paying child support) or for 5 people?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Valia and Serghei

ROC
05/17/2016 Sending I-751 for me and my child
05/19/2016 Application received
05/26/2016 Check cashed
06/03/2016 biometric appointment letter
06/10/2016 biometrics done
08/13/2016 service request filled

11/14/2016 had tried to put service request - unsuccessful

11/15/2016 Approved

11/19/2016 Approval letter in mail

--/--/---- waiting for the GC

Question 11 specifically addresses the beneficiary. I don;t think thats what they are after in #8

Oh, I see. Thanks.

Another thing, on Question 11, on the sample form, why put "N/A (K1 VISA PROCESS FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE)" when it only asked --- "Intend" or "do not intend". If "Intend" then itemize, if "do not intend" then just N/A, right? Thanks (hah! I'm over thingking stuff huh2.gif sorry)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

"8. The following persons are dependent upon me for support (Check the box in the appropriate column to indicate whether the person named is wholly or partially dependent upon you for support.)"

Please help. I'm confused on what to put on this question. I see that the VJ sample form on this put "None". But is it not that the beneficiary's name should be put in here? Is this question referring to the beneficiary since they cannot work when they get here until they get the work permit, thus a dependent? Thanks for any input.

The beneficiary is not listed in #8. That is where all the petitioner's dependents, such as children, are listed. Beneficiary is listed in #3

I wanna ask some questions :

I am k1 , and we have 5 year K2. My soulmate have 2 sons from his first marriage and he pays child support.

1.My fiancée must fill 2 different Afiddavits or just one with both of us in it?

2.in question 8 he puts my kid's name (k2) or his kids names , to whom he pays child support?

3. Did he fills one Afiddavit on my name and one on my kid name? Different ones ? If yes,

Is it right to fill on both his kids names as partial support?

4. What level for poverty we must cover - for 4 ( me, my k2, him, 0,5 for each 2 kids he have , paying child support) or for 5 people?

Thanks in advance

1) Some say a K-2 needs their own separate I-134, but the form asks you to list those accompanying the beneficiary in #3. The FAQ here on VJ states(under 4.3.1) listing the K-2 on the one I-134 is enough> http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-application.html Email and ask your consulate to be positive.

2) #8 is for his own dependents, so he will list his children there. They are wholly dependent.

3) This is the same question as 1) and is answered already

4) He will need enough for a household of 5: himself, his 2 kids, you and your child.

Oh, I see. Thanks.

Another thing, on Question 11, on the sample form, why put "N/A (K1 VISA PROCESS FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE)" when it only asked --- "Intend" or "do not intend". If "Intend" then itemize, if "do not intend" then just N/A, right? Thanks (hah! I'm over thingking stuff huh2.gif sorry)

You do not check either one. That is why it is marked N/A. Or, if it makes you feel more comfortable, check 'intend' and leave off N/A and just put 'K1 VISA PROCESS FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE- All necessary expenses will be covered'

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

For question #8 do I list the same name of person that I claimed on my taxes? I am confused.

For example, last year I claimed both of my parent and a sibling, however in previous years I only claim my sibling. All of them are partially dependent.

So do I list all the names and info that was reflected on my 2012 taxes? Or does this only apply if I have a child, which I don't.

Timeline

My understanding is, they are trying to determine if you can financially support the beneficiary. So, I would list everyone on your 2012 return. You will be sending the return with your packet, so it may raise a red flag if you claim them on your return, but don;t list them on your 134.

If you feel an explanation is in order, add an addendum.

Also, I would suggest starting a new thread if you have on going questions.

Edited by slowlyman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

For question #8 do I list the same name of person that I claimed on my taxes? I am confused.

For example, last year I claimed both of my parent and a sibling, however in previous years I only claim my sibling. All of them are partially dependent.

So do I list all the names and info that was reflected on my 2012 taxes? Or does this only apply if I have a child, which I don't.

Yes, anyone you claimed as a dependent on your most recent taxes would be listed there.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 5 years later...

{Mod Action}

Zombie thread from 2013 closed.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.