Mark88

Our story: CRBA for our child denied, entering the US with a baby transportation letter and Citizenship through the CCA

182 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Thank you everyone who follows this thread. I wanted to give everyone a short update:

After over 3 years I did go ahead and file N-600 for my daughter. It was a very simple and straight forward process. From the day of the filing until the date of approval it took only 3 months. I got an interview appointment only 2 months later. So total 5 months to get this done. A question I had and couldn't find answer for was, if the child has to present at the interview. If your child is under 14, he/she does NOT have to be present. The interview is not really an interview, it's more like a confirmation of the documents you submitted. The N-600 certificate is printed in the office on the spot.

Also the reason for applying for the N-600 was for us the fact that my daughter would have an official US document that would suffice as something like a birth certificate (since she was born abroad and didn't qualify for CRBA, she has no US birth certificate). It also ends the USCIS process and there won't be any confusion.

Like I mentioned all the way on the beginning of this post, the N-600 is not necessary, but we figured it might make things in her later life much easier, since the N-600 certifies her citizenship.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wheww..!!!.what an ordeal for you to go through all of that.? Glad it works for you at the end. You seems very positive person and never gives up. Thank you for sharing this very informative topic. This will help others a lot especially when dealing with USCIS. You can't really afford less than perfect. Good luck to you and your family. And thanks again.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

• The original foreign birth certificate. - Make sure the father and mother are listed in it. If not, get an "international certificate of birth" at the local civil registry office in the country of birth
  • Translation of the foreign birth certificate. - We had it translated by a certified and public sworn translator. It cost us around $50 but is worth it. This way you can avoid problems of the translation not being legitimate. Oddly USCIS doesn't require a certified translation, BUT CBP, the Social Security Administration (SSA) and Passport Agency at the Department of State (DOS) do

If we have the international birth certificate already, is it required that we get the foreign BC translated as well ? I am in Germany as well and I have both Foreign and International BC for my baby.

Edited by linh.ng2310

We almost have the same situation our son got denied last july 2015 for crba, because his USC father stayed in US for 4yrs and 6months, now we are here in the US just this May 2016, we were just waiting for the interview scheduled for our greencard, but i found out that my son dont need to undergo to file a the adjustment of status, because he is already a US citizen upon entry to US, now my questions are:

1. Do we need to wait for the approval of our greencard before we file our son for naturalization?

2. Do we still need to apply again in Uscis the n-600 which cost $600 ?

3. Or we can automatically apply him for a us passport?

4. Can we be able to get a birh certificate here?

5. What specifiy the act or law that isuite his situation.?

6. The consul before in the philippines get our denial letter for crba and i dont have any copy of that, do i still need to provide that? How?

7.what is the easiest way for us apply my son a passport? And how much it cost?

Thank you so much! Coz we are planning to go back to the philippines for a vacation this coming february.

Timeline

• The original foreign birth certificate. - Make sure the father and mother are listed in it. If not, get an "international certificate of birth" at the local civil registry office in the country of birth
  • Translation of the foreign birth certificate. - We had it translated by a certified and public sworn translator. It cost us around $50 but is worth it. This way you can avoid problems of the translation not being legitimate. Oddly USCIS doesn't require a certified translation, BUT CBP, the Social Security Administration (SSA) and Passport Agency at the Department of State (DOS) do

If we have the international birth certificate already, is it required that we get the foreign BC translated as well ? I am in Germany as well and I have both Foreign and International BC for my baby.

USCIS no, all other want a translation of the original

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline

We almost have the same situation our son got denied last july 2015 for crba, because his USC father stayed in US for 4yrs and 6months, now we are here in the US just this May 2016, we were just waiting for the interview scheduled for our greencard, but i found out that my son dont need to undergo to file a the adjustment of status, because he is already a US citizen upon entry to US, now my questions are:

1. Do we need to wait for the approval of our greencard before we file our son for naturalization?

2. Do we still need to apply again in Uscis the n-600 which cost $600 ?

3. Or we can automatically apply him for a us passport?

4. Can we be able to get a birh certificate here?

5. What specifiy the act or law that isuite his situation.?

6. The consul before in the philippines get our denial letter for crba and i dont have any copy of that, do i still need to provide that? How?

7.what is the easiest way for us apply my son a passport? And how much it cost?

Thank you so much! Coz we are planning to go back to the philippines for a vacation this coming february.

The answer to all your questions will depend on which visa your son entered the USA?

Timeline

Ah okay did you apply for your daugther the n600 form? Is it required to apply those form? And what are the requirements for applying US passport? Thank u sir

The process for N-600 is described on the top of this page, all other info you can read at the first post of this entire thread.

Timeline

We enter here through k1/k2 visa

If your son entered on a K visa, he is most likely not a US citizen yet, since technically this visa category is a non immigrant visa. You will have to clear this with DOS (by applying for a passport). Question is, if the USC father is the biological father, why didn't he file for IR-2 instead of K-2?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

USCIS no, all other want a translation of the original

does it matter where you get it translated because i can get it done in Vietnam for $5 instead of $50 in Germany. And where can I go to get it translated in Germany if you dont mind me asking ?

Timeline

does it matter where you get it translated because i can get it done in Vietnam for $5 instead of $50 in Germany. And where can I go to get it translated in Germany if you dont mind me asking ?

Is it a German or Vietnamese certificate?

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I will be embarking on this same journey in Vietnam and I was wondering if I can email anyone at the US Embassy in Hanoi to ask questions before we start the process? Any ideas on this?

I am the father and US citizen, our baby was born out-of-wedlock. I've read there are other requirements for this.

Can anyone explain this?

1. While the person is under the age of 18 years --
  • the person is legitimated under the law of his/her residence or domicile,
  • the father acknowledges paternity of the person in writing under oath, or

I feel confident I will be able to prove I lived in the USA for over 5 years because I've been there my whole life. But how do I make "writing under oath"

Also is there any issue with custody? I thought I read somewhere when doing initial research that custody must be given in writing to the US citizen but now I can't find that anywhere. Any ideas on this as well?

And lastly, where do you get "certified" english translations? I could easily translate all documents myself... but this is not allowed?

Thanks so much

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.