Ryan S

K1 visa, not married within 90 days, overstay?

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Ryan S you have to understand the frustration some of us might feel by your situation. Most of us are struggling being away from the loves of our lives & she got approved & your not even sure you want to marry. Doesn't seem right that you brought her here using a k-1 visa & took up time & space away from other people's petitions. If you both knew you weren't sure about marriage before hand why didn't you just have her apply for a tourist visa once she received her Spanish citizenship? Now to answer your question the answer is simple.. If she overstays her 90 days there's no way they are gonna grant her a tourist visa. She would of demenstrated that she's not trustworthy & it would show that she may overstay her tourist visa as well. Have her leave get her citizenship over there & then attempt for a tourist visa but she may be denied.. So keep that in mind

You cannot have her come LATER on a tourist visa, then get married, and then attempt to adjust status based on that marriage. If you're thinking you can, I don't understand your reasoning.

On a tourist visa: she could get married but would have to leave the USA and wait in Spain while you file a brand-new CR-1 process, including the 8-12 month wait for that. She cannot stay in the USA because she would have immigrant intent, and that is violating the terms of her tourist visa, it will lead to fraud charges and a lifetime ban on entry into the USA.

On the K-1: you must marry within 90 days. That's it. If you don't marry within 90 days on the K-1, you cannot adjust her status to legal residency afterwards.

Marriage within 90 days or go home, most likely forever since a second K-1 would prove difficult.

I've seen several of these threads now and I have to admit I'm running out of patience/empathy for the posters. If you wanted to "get to know her" that was NOT a reason to file the K-1, as the K-1 specifically leads to marriage. I also feel very badly for her, if this is your unilateral decision that is majorly impacting her life and legal status.

Per the bolded area...if they do get married after the 90 day mark, they would need to file the I-130 and I-485 paperwork: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

But, if you know before the 90 days are up that no marriage will occur, it's best for her to return home as soon as possible rather than be out of status.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

So what if the poster is asking what happens if they dont get married?

Its no one place to pass judgement on them or speculate on their situation.

Thats my last post on the matter!

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

" If you marry after the 90 days, you will have to concurrently file the I130 and I485 as she would no longer be eligible to adjust based on the K-1 visa."

- I understand the K1 would be dead but I could still adjust her status to legal residency based on the comment above. I'm not sure who is correct here.

On the K-1: you must marry within 90 days. That's it. If you don't marry within 90 days on the K-1, you cannot adjust her status to legal residency afterwards.

Timeline

So you're saying file the I-130 and I-485 after she leaves? I'd rather take a chance and file while she's here so we can still be together if there's a chance her status could be adjusted while living here illegally. Is that impossible or just more unlikely to happen than if we filed while she was in Spain?

Per the bolded area...if they do get married after the 90 day mark, they would need to file the I-130 and I-485 paperwork: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

But, if you know before the 90 days are up that no marriage will occur, it's best for her to return home as soon as possible rather than be out of status.

Not passing judgement, but he was asking these same types of questions in Nov 2012. Joined Nov 10, 2012 and this is first post.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/399160-what-are-the-consequences-of-not-marrying-your-fiance/

So, I am thinking he has been pondering this longer than the 90 days.

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

So you're saying file the I-130 and I-485 after she leaves? I'd rather take a chance and file while she's here so we can still be together if there's a chance her status could be adjusted while living here illegally. Is that impossible or just more unlikely to happen than if we filed while she was in Spain?

No. As was told to you in this thread and your earlier thread, if a marriage does occur, but doesn't happen before the I-94 expires, you would have to concurrently file the I-130 and I-485. She would not be able to leave the U.S. until she receives her green card because she would have a very difficult time re-entering.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

If you both knew you weren't sure about marriage before hand why didn't you just have her apply for a tourist visa once she received her Spanish citizenship?

Because it takes a long time to arrive in the mail, she's not going to have her Spanish passport in hand until September at the very earliest, even though she was notified that it was approved several months ago. We wanted to be together, plain and simple. Living together before getting married was very important to us.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Not passing judgement, but he was asking these same types of questions in Nov 2012. Joined Nov 10, 2012 and this is first post.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/399160-what-are-the-consequences-of-not-marrying-your-fiance/

Yes you're right! I knew this didn't just happen.. I had a feeling marriage wasn't something they were sure of for a long time & THAT is what upsets me!

Timeline

Yes I have, good work Nancy Drew!

Timeline

Yes you're right! I knew this didn't just happen.. I had a feeling marriage wasn't something they were sure of for a long time & THAT is what upsets me!

Maybe I'll go home tonight and we'll finally decide to get married, would that make you happy? I can see how much you've invested your feelings in my relationship so I'll be sure to send you a wedding invitation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.