Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Student In USA

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I wanted to know which option is a better to have more chance obtaining work permit for a student from Canada. So here is the story - The student is on a break in Canada, has a valid student visa, All the paper work is completed with F1 visa . The student has been in US and is an active student . This student wanted to obtain work permission from the guys sitting at US and Canadian border when he/she enters to US. The student has a social security with DHS authorization note on it.. The student wanted to do few hours of training but since the social security has been obtained via school the student can only work/train at that specific school.

The question is: Is it better to show the social security card at the border and ask, look I wanted to work for a few hours I have my social security and this is my issue OR Is it better to not even show that card and ask for a stamp on their passport. We know if they want, they can access details and eventually can see that the student do have a temporary social security card but which way is better or has more chance to obtain a work permit?

Thank you-

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they applying for a TN?

Not that that makes much sense.

So what work visa category?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What work permit does this student want? Honestly, he/she wants to show up at th border with a valid student visa knowing it is not authorized for work off campus and say 'hey can I work?"

Is the nature of the work actual work ir is it 'training'?

good luck

August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2

February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete

May 4, 2009

May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011


April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony


September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

A student can only work on campus. You can;t just go up to the border and ask for a work permit, if that is what you are asking.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are getting confused since your SSN card says DHS Authorization required.

Which means as a student you can work no more than 20 hrs per week on campus or you can work off the campus while you are on OPT.
At the moment student cannot just show their SSN card at the border and say I need work authorization.

Edited by Harsh_77

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.