misseshedquist

has anyone done the K2 for younger kids

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have been searching this site hoping to find out if someone has done the K2 visa for younger kids. My kids are 2, 8, 11.........I was hoping to read about someones experience with the K2.......One question I have , would you not marry if the father didn't approve of you leaving and taking the kids to another part of the world? Would you give up your kids to be with the one you love? How far would you go to be with the one you love? Hope to get some stories.

misseshedquist

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If my kids were your ages when I met my fiance (now husband), I definitely would not have left them in Canada to come to the U.S. I could not have left my kids at those young ages.

I came to the U.S. when my sons were 21 and 23 and my daughter was 16. That was hard enough for me. My daughter followed me a year later and now lives with my husband and I (she'll be 19 on Friday).

I only live 3 1/2 hours from my sons in Canada and I miss them more every single day, even though they are now independent adults. I am thankful to have my daughter here with me, but it does put a bit of strain on my marriage at times. It gets better the longer she has been here, and I'm hoping she will finish college and maybe decide to stay in the U.S. so I will have some family nearby.

If you do not have your children's father's permission to leave their home country and bring them to the U.S., you will not be able to do so. He must sign a notarized letter saying that he gives his permission for you to bring your children to the U.S. to live with you. It's called a Statutory Declaration in Canada.

Good luck with your journey!!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

I too left my children behind but they were 19, 21, 27 & 29. If they had been your childrens ages, there is no way I could of done it. I would of expected my fiance to move to me and if not, regardless of how much I loved my now husband, I would of abandoned the relationship. I miss my grandchildren enough as it is :(

Good luck to you.

Lorelle

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

hi

leaving children behind is a big decision and shouldn't be entered into lightly..i waited till my children were at an age where they were independent of me working left home ...

as the above tells you ... you can't bring the children into the country if you dont have the permission of the father..

weigh up your options talk to your fiance about it...but your kids are so young they need a mum their with them...(my opinion)

its hard enough for all of us that have left children behind of an age where we could..although i talk to my daughter every day on msn its still hard...and my son is living with his father which i didnt want but i cant do anything about which sometimes when i let it get to me really gets me down...

good luck on your decision making

kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Filed: Timeline

We (mags and I) had to do a K2 for her son. They (London) do require a notarised letter from the father saying that he is aware that the child/children will be moving to the US, and that he is ok with that.

Luckily, Jordan's father didn't put up too much fight about it and signed the letter quickly.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My youngest son moved here with me. He was 16 at the time.

I knew from the start if he didnt decide to come, I would not have moved here.

My oldest son is now 22 and still in Canada. I miss him EVERY DAY :(

Good luck on your decision

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Hello miss,

Our situation is the reverse, with myself having two young children ages 5 and 8 now. My fiance has always been supportive of, and understanding, that I could not leave my children behind to be with her. When I visited with her (finally) it was during a particularly rough part of an ongoing custody struggle with my x wife. The temptation to chuck it all and just stay with my fiance was great. But my fiance encouraged me to stick it out, return home and see it through, and now I have primary custody.

If your ex husband will not give you permission to leave the country with your children, perhaps your fiance should consider moving to you and your kids. I agree with the other posters, that at your children's ages, they should not be left without you.

If your ex husband won't give his permission, another option could be to go to court in your country and seek judicial permission to move your children.

Good luck!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

In the Uk, is it not true that you only need the fathers permission, if you were married?

As far as Im aware, if you were NOT married, the father does not automatically have parental responsibility and therefore has no say.

This is what I was advised by my lawyer.

any information on this?

My daughters father ( we were unmarried), was abusive, we parted company when I was pregnant and

he has no contact, pays no maintenance and has no desire to do either.

However, if consulted regarding our situation, would definetley NOT sign, purely from spite,

If anybody has been through the K1/K2 and was not married to the father of their children,

please offer some advice,

Im starting to wonder if my lawyer is wrong about this?

06.05.07 Entered US

06.24.07 Married!!!! xxxxxxx

07.23.07 Sent off AOS/EAD Express Mail

07.24.07 Email notification that package received!!!! (Day 1)

08.08.07 Money Orders Cashed (Day 16)

08.13.08 Biometrics letter rec. Still no NOA1 (Day 21)

08.27.07 RFE for tax transcript (sent already!!)

08.28.07 NOA1 date, received 09.02.07

09.04.07 Biometrics for AOS & EAD (Day 43)

09.18.07 RFE received by USCIS. Processing resumed.(Day 57)

10.04.07 Card Production ordered EAD..Woohoo!!!! (73 Days)

10.15.07 EAD card delivered in post as well as Approval email

10.15.07 Email to say Im on my way to California!

11.29.07 Card production ordered, still waiting for daughters!

12.04.07 received Green card in post!

Please talk to the father of the kids and let him sign to approve to allow the kids to leave.If he refuses and since 'pot' is legal in Netherlands, how about buying like $100 worth of it and letting him enjoy it then you ask him to sign the papers when he is happy? Generally, the kids are better off coming to the US at a young age. As they get older, it becomes harder for them to integrate, so i advice you to go for it now, no matter what it takes.

Hi everyone,

I have been searching this site hoping to find out if someone has done the K2 visa for younger kids. My kids are 2, 8, 11.........I was hoping to read about someones experience with the K2.......One question I have , would you not marry if the father didn't approve of you leaving and taking the kids to another part of the world? Would you give up your kids to be with the one you love? How far would you go to be with the one you love? Hope to get some stories.

misseshedquist

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
In the Uk, is it not true that you only need the fathers permission, if you were married?

As far as Im aware, if you were NOT married, the father does not automatically have parental responsibility and therefore has no say.

any information on this?

My daughters father ( we were unmarried), was abusive, we parted company when I was pregnant and

However, if consulted regarding our situation, would definetley NOT sign, purely from spite,

If anybody has been through the K1/K2 and was not married to the father of their children,

I'm in a similar situation myself. My fiancee has a 14 year old daughter who will be named in the K-1 Visa app as my step-child to be, and she will be coming with my fiancee to live here. Her father and my fiancee were never married, my fiancee has primary custody, receives no restitution from the childs father, and furthermore he has not attempted to even make contact with his daughter in 5+ years now. :(

Is what chloe said above true? Just attempting to figure out what we will need, as I am sure that, despite absolutely no effort to contact his own daughter, it may become a bit tedious to find him and get his permission.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Tommy(South Carolina) and Dawny(UK)

- January 17, 2007 - Sent I-129F

- January 23, 2007 - I-129F Received at TSC

- January 30, 2007 - NOA1 Sent!

- February 1, 2007 - Touched!

- February 2, 2007 - Check Cashed by CSC!

- February 5, 2007 - NOA1 Received(Hard Copy)!

- April 27, 2007 - NOA2 Received!!!

- April 28, 2007 - Touched!

- May 11, 2007 - NVC Received Case

- May 15, 2007 - NVC Forwarded Case to London Embassy

- May 29, 2007 - Received Packet 3

- June 7, 2007 - Dawn sent Packet 3 back!

- June 26, 2007 - Officially in the Embassy system

- July 11, 2007 - Received Packet 4

- August 16, 2007 - Interview Date!!

any information on this?

I'm in a similar situation myself. My fiancee has a 14 year old daughter who will be named in the K-1 Visa app as my step-child to be, and she will be coming with my fiancee to live here. Her father and my fiancee were never married, my fiancee has primary custody, receives no restitution from the childs father, and furthermore he has not attempted to even make contact with his daughter in 5+ years now. :(

Is what chloe said above true? Just attempting to figure out what we will need, as I am sure that, despite absolutely no effort to contact his own daughter, it may become a bit tedious to find him and get his permission.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Im in the exact situation with my fiancee from England who has a 15 year old daughter. She met with some sort of government offical who told her the same thing. If you were never married to the father of your child he has no legal rights and the child can leave the country. That law was changed within the last five years, but only effects kids born after that date. Which is good news. Since he hasnt been seen for the last 6 years. Last she knew he had traveled to Australia.

08/18/02 We meet

09/11/06 We get Engaged

10/21/06 Mailed I-129F & Documents to NSC

10/23/06 Discovered VJ Forum

11/03/06 K-1 NOA1

01/17/07 K-1 NOA2

03/12/07 Medical

04/13/07 Interview Sucess!

04/17/07 Visa Delivered

04/26/07 POE Minneapolis - 5 Stars !

06/02/07 Wedding

08/17/07 AOS Filed

11/19/07 Biometrics

12/17/07 Transferred to CSC

01/24/08 E-mail stating 2 Year Green Card production ordered.

01/04/10 Filed I-751

02/05/10 Biometrics

02/18/10 Ten Year Green Card Production ordered

02/23/10 10 Year Green Card Arrives in Mail!

899646.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Just in case any VJ's have young children, (UK)

the law changed on 1st December 2003.

Any births prior to this date are not affected, so therefore, even if the fathers name is on the birth certificate, he has no automatic parental responsibility, unless married to the mother.

He would have to apply for this in court.

For births after the date of change however, the father has automatic parental responsibility, even if never married to the mother.

If you do have difficulties with the father of your children, then my advice is to see a solicitor for more information, regarding the Hague Convention, as theres a lot more to it than this.

I saw mine, and feel better that Im aware of the laws regarding taking children abroad.

All the best

x chloe

Edited by chloe

06.05.07 Entered US

06.24.07 Married!!!! xxxxxxx

07.23.07 Sent off AOS/EAD Express Mail

07.24.07 Email notification that package received!!!! (Day 1)

08.08.07 Money Orders Cashed (Day 16)

08.13.08 Biometrics letter rec. Still no NOA1 (Day 21)

08.27.07 RFE for tax transcript (sent already!!)

08.28.07 NOA1 date, received 09.02.07

09.04.07 Biometrics for AOS & EAD (Day 43)

09.18.07 RFE received by USCIS. Processing resumed.(Day 57)

10.04.07 Card Production ordered EAD..Woohoo!!!! (73 Days)

10.15.07 EAD card delivered in post as well as Approval email

10.15.07 Email to say Im on my way to California!

11.29.07 Card production ordered, still waiting for daughters!

12.04.07 received Green card in post!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
I too left my children behind but they were 19, 21, 27 & 29. If they had been your childrens ages, there is no way I could of done it. I would of expected my fiance to move to me and if not, regardless of how much I loved my now husband, I would of abandoned the relationship. I miss my grandchildren enough as it is :(

Good luck to you.

Lorelle

Reading through this thread, I almost fell off my chair when I read the ages of your children! You don't look old enough to have a 19 year old, let alone a 29 year old! All I can say is "whatever you're on, I need to get me some!" lol

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well we were almost faced with a similar situation but a last minute phone call to clear up the matter allowed us to travel. So this was our experience; the father of my fiances's son was an absentee father, my fiance(e) changed her son's last name legally but the airport customs in her country would not allow her son to travel due to the fact that he was under age. She did not have a notorized permission slip from her son's father and no less than three customs officials told us that her son could not travel with us despite the fact my fiance(e) had followed all the procedures necessary. the plane was scheduled to leave at 8:30 a.m. We were kept in suspense until the very last minute. A last minute call made to a higher official in another city saved our day. He told the airport watchdogs that my fiance(e) had followed proper procedures and he was allowed to travel, however if he had not been allowed to go, he is 17 by the way, she would not have traveled either and I was prepared to stay until the sitaution was resolved one way or the other. Bottom line as much as I would have wanted her to go with me her responsibility was still to her children.

US1.GIFCOL.GIF

04-19-06 Sent I-129F

04-24-06 I-129F received at CSC

04-27-06 Received NOA1

07-03-06 Received RFE from CSC

07-03-06 Returned RFE to CSC

07-08-06 RFE received at CSC

07-31-06 Touched

08-05-06 Received second RFE from CSC

08-05-06 Returned RFE to CSC

08-07-06 Touched

08-09-06 RFE received at CSC

08-14-06 Touched

08-15-06 E-mail from CSC stating RFE received

08-16-06 Touched

08-18-06 NOA2 APPROVED- I-129F sent to NVC

08-19-06 Touched

08-25-06 NVC Received I-129F

09-01-06 NVC sent I-129F to embassy

09-05-06 Received at embassy

09-11-06 Packet 3 sent from embassy

10-06-06 Received Packet 3. Long delay in receiving the packet was due to postal miscue

10-06-06 Returned Packet 3

10-09-06 Received at embassy

10-31-06 Received Packet 4

11-14-06 Interview date

11-18-06 Travel to the States

This has been answered before. Aussiewench had her first born when she was 4 years old. She is around 33 years old at this point (in 2006).

Good luck to you.

Lorelle

Reading through this thread, I almost fell off my chair when I read the ages of your children! You don't look old enough to have a 19 year old, let alone a 29 year old! All I can say is "whatever you're on, I need to get me some!" lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.