Niels Bohr

Advice for tourist Visa

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hello VJers,

My cousin tried for a visa and was rejected with the NA 214(b) clause. States she doesn't have concrete establishment in Cambodia for her to return.

She has a hut that she rent to sell items such a coffee, snacks, etc.., a house in her name, land, and stable monthly income of 900/month. Plus, she's married but unable to have kids due to her medical condition.

I even gave her a copy of my previous tax return, and proof income to provide to the consulate that she will not be a public burden and that she will also have a place to stay here.

Anybody have any suggestions to persuade the consulate or provide helpful tips to help her with this problem?

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

and stable monthly income of 900/month.

$900?

Not a lot to pay for a US vacation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

LOL boiler.

$900/month in Cambodia, not in US.

Different cost of living. My income on the other hand is 120k.

$900?

Not a lot to pay for a US vacation.

Edited by Niels Bohr

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So she would be fine paying for a holiday in Thailand but not the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hello VJers,

My cousin tried for a visa and was rejected with the NA 214(b) clause. States she doesn't have concrete establishment in Cambodia for her to return.

She has a hut that she rent to sell items such a coffee, snacks, etc.., a house in her name, land, and stable monthly income of 900/month. Plus, she's married but unable to have kids due to her medical condition.

I even gave her a copy of my previous tax return, and proof income to provide to the consulate that she will not be a public burden and that she will also have a place to stay here.

Anybody have any suggestions to persuade the consulate or provide helpful tips to help her with this problem?

Unfortunately your income and your word will have no bearing on whether she gets the visa. She has to satisfy the requirements on her own. I would view the house and property in her name as a plus, but I agree that $900/monthly income is low for a vacation to the states. Dose she have a bank account with any monies saved?

Timeline

I can simply wire a few thousand into her bank account. But, don't know if that's legal. Should I do it?

Unfortunately your income and your word will have no bearing on whether she gets the visa. She has to satisfy the requirements on her own. I would view the house and property in her name as a plus, but I agree that $900/monthly income is low for a vacation to the states. Dose she have a bank account with any monies saved?

I can simply wire a few thousand into her bank account. But, don't know if that's legal. Should I do it?

That will probably backfire on you. They will want to see a pattern of money being in her account. If it all of a sudden shows up, they will see that and want to know why.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My understanding is they want to see regular deposits over a year or more. A sudden lump sum deposit will throw up flags. And remmember once you send it, it is hers to do with as she pleases and no garauntee it will help her get approved.

Timeline

Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe because of her age or something.

I think I'm going to write a letter to ask for a letter of invitation from the three people in office for my state. Don't know but worth a shot. People in Cambodia can eat a complete meal a day for less than 1 dollar.

Heck, an engineer in Cambodia gets paid $300/month. Police in Cambodia is $30/month. Doesn't make sense if they can't come over. I've seen lots of people come over.

That will probably backfire on you. They will want to see a pattern of money being in her account. If it all of a sudden shows up, they will see that and want to know why.

Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe because of her age or something.

I think I'm going to write a letter to ask for a letter of invitation from the three people in office for my state. Don't know but worth a shot. People in Cambodia can eat a complete meal a day for less than 1 dollar.

Heck, an engineer in Cambodia gets paid $300/month. Police in Cambodia is $30/month. Doesn't make sense if they can't come over. I've seen lots of people come over.

You can try the letters, but from what I've read here in previous posts, they really don't help. She has to satisfy the requirements on her own. No one can guarantee that she will follow the laws once she steps foot on US soil, so she needs to satisfy the immigration officials that she will.

She may make a good income in Cambodia, but she is not vacationing in Cambodia, she's attempting to vacation in the US, which has a much higher cost of living. $900 in the US for a vaction, might get you 4 or 5 days on a low budget trip and isn't all that realistic. Plus she would need a return trip ticket at POE or she would be turned around and sent home.

Timeline

I think you're concerned that she's incapable of paying for anything.

Remember now that her plane ticket isn't the problem in the first place. If she does or able to get here after the letter, I am more than capable of buying the round trip ticket, and capable of supporting her stay financially. It's nothing really.

I wrote the letter and sent it out. We'll see how it goes. I've heard it may or may not help. If it doesn't help, I'll attempt to open a business over there and let her own it. Cheap enough to start a business. :D

You can try the letters, but from what I've read here in previous posts, they really don't help. She has to satisfy the requirements on her own. No one can guarantee that she will follow the laws once she steps foot on US soil, so she needs to satisfy the immigration officials that she will.

She may make a good income in Cambodia, but she is not vacationing in Cambodia, she's attempting to vacation in the US, which has a much higher cost of living. $900 in the US for a vaction, might get you 4 or 5 days on a low budget trip and isn't all that realistic. Plus she would need a return trip ticket at POE or she would be turned around and sent home.

I think you're concerned that she's incapable of paying for anything.

Remember now that her plane ticket isn't the problem in the first place. If she does or able to get here after the letter, I am more than capable of buying the round trip ticket, and capable of supporting her stay financially. It's nothing really.

I wrote the letter and sent it out. We'll see how it goes. I've heard it may or may not help. If it doesn't help, I'll attempt to open a business over there and let her own it. Cheap enough to start a business. biggrin.png

There's obviously a reason why she was denied and from what you've said, it appears to me that the money is at least one reason. Your monies mean nothing as far as immigration is concerned. You've been a member here long enough to know that.

As for the return plane ticket, if she tries to enter the US without it, she will most likely be denied entry.

I wish you luck.

Filed: Timeline

the Myth of having millions in a bank account to be able to go to the States is wrong. My sister was approved a tourist visa to the states with just 3000$ in mom's account (not even her own account). You don't have to be insanely rich to get your visa approved. However, the officer can have other reasons other than the financial part. As for the plane ticket, she doesn't have to show it at all. if you look up the embassy's website you'll see that they advise to never purchase a plane ticket prior to visa approval. so the plane ticket is not a reason for her to be denied.

Maybe she was confused during the interview and that can be a reason for them to deny her visa.

Filed: Timeline

Im sorry but owning a whole business for the sake of a B2 visa is kinda a red flag. Do not give them any reason to deny her once again and remember what she said in the interview will be recorded and the second interview the officer may ask only one question "what changed in your situation" and she needs to have the golden answer for that.

Another thing is if she applies real quick after her denial, there is a big chance she'll be denied again unless there is a HUGE change in her situation ( the business is not one of them since she already owns a business and got denied the first time)...

Good luck & let us know how it all went

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

My mom's friend tried the visitor visa before. Believe it or not, her net worth is about $4 million dollars. She has various businesses, houses for rent, phone shop, a few expensive pieces of land under her name.

So the money factor is out of questions. There is zero evident that she would not come back. She was rejected.

She said to my mom " I can take my money elsewhere, if the U.S won't like it ".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.