Tandnan

After NOA2...

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Filing for a K1 for my fiancee, who lives in china. We got the NOA2 last friday.

I haven't been able to get a clear idea of what's next. I know she must wait until she gets something in the mail - this will come from the embassy in Guangzhou. After she gets that thing, what happens? Can she immediately schedule the interview, or must she mail something back to them, and wait for them to respond again?

Timeline

Specifically I am hoping to expedite any response my fiancee might have to make to her embassy. This may include preparing forms in advance, if those forms are requested by her embassy to be mailed to them prior to setting an interview date.

Based on my research, many forms are to be brought along for the interview, to be handed in the day before, during "document intake". So whatever might need to be mailed, must be different from those. It's unclear to me, even after reading the guides and many forum messages, what might need to be mailed. My fiancee and I would like to prepare those things even before she receives her first mailing from the consulate, so that she can mail them in immediately after she receives it.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Specifically I am hoping to expedite any response my fiancee might have to make to her embassy. This may include preparing forms in advance, if those forms are requested by her embassy to be mailed to them prior to setting an interview date.

Based on my research, many forms are to be brought along for the interview, to be handed in the day before, during "document intake". So whatever might need to be mailed, must be different from those. It's unclear to me, even after reading the guides and many forum messages, what might need to be mailed. My fiancee and I would like to prepare those things even before she receives her first mailing from the consulate, so that she can mail them in immediately after she receives it.

Welcome to the forum.

:guides: Become acquainted with the K-1 flowchart and the step-by-step K-1 visa guide.

Become acquainted with the China regional forum, there is a lot of good information there:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/94-china/

The Guangzhou consulate info page has some great information:

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=China&cty=Guangzhou

After doing more research, you will see that the Guangzhou consulate has recently changed their visa processing, it is so new that procedures are still being formulation, hence the recommendation to do more research.

Good luck. :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Thanks. I read the guides, as I stated already. Twice now. Thanks for your help.

Mail to her a copy of NOA2, a letter of intent to marry with a date after NOA2, plus your three last pay stubs (if you are her sponsor). The rest is up to her and is specific to the country. Why won't your fiancee check the info on the official website of Consulate General of the United States in Guangzhou?

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/

Timeline

Agree with A&B et al. above. You said thank you twice and that you read the guides above and scouted the Consulates website, but if true then you have the answer to your questions. Procedures have changed since March 2011 when we interviewed and October 2012 when we received our fourth (and final) "approval" notice. We endured the older procedures (i.e. snail mail). Warning: just because you receive an interview date does not mean that all of the Consulate's duplicate background checks are completed. Although USCIS completed background checks as required for your NOA2, you will have to endure this all over again... When we prepared, we had to await our "package 3" and mail it back, and then wait for our "package 4" documents to arrive in the mail. The Embassy said that we could've downloaded them from their website, but try convincing your bride-to-be that her lawyer is wrong! Like convincing her that you know better than her doctor, or anybody in her home town for that matter - best wishes! Currently, GUZ (per link already given you that you said you've read...) allows you to email most of your initial documents back to an Exchange Server that really speeds up the process. Rather than last 3 months of pay stubs, along with your NOA2 and intent to marry letter, I would recommend mailing your last 3 years of tax returns, along with a verification letter from your employer. Remember that your fiancee's notarized birth certificate (and any other documents, such as criminal background check from police department and/or divorce papers) must be translated into English by a notary public. It is good to be excited, to read all you can, to be prepared, but ... you can transmit nervousness to your fiancee. Recommend you try to prepare for "after" you are approved with your excess energy.

Edited by Big Baby

Timeline

Thanks, big baby. Now, answer me this: what documents will she need to send to the embassy after she receives her first packet?

You don't know. Neither do I. That's why I asked.

I'll let this site know the answer to this question when I figure it out. Nobody else knows. You're all welcome.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I'll let this site know the answer to this question when I figure it out. Nobody else knows. You're all welcome.
If you're being sarcastic, there are better ways to keep people on your side. Several good members have already tried to help you.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

If you're being sarcastic, there are better ways to keep people on your side. Several good members have already tried to help you.

I asked a question to which nobody knew the answer (surprising to me) and was told to essentially "read the FAQ". Ok, I get that. But in this case the FAQ (er, guide) doesn't contain the answer to my question - a small fact nobody on the "read the FAQ" side has admitted. I was very specific about detailing my question and that the guide didn't contain that answer.

Like it said, it's ok. I'll let this site know, and will answer the question in the future if others have it. It's an important question.

Timeline

I've read that. Thanks, Big Baby, for taking the time to look it up.

As I've stated previously, that explains the documents which must be brought during document intake. My question is about whether documents must be sent to the embassy before that, and before an interview can be scheduled.

Thanks again for your help.

Timeline

I don't know now. Times have changed over past year. When we went through, package 3 and 4 documents were delivered separately by mail.

The package 3 and 4 documents now (link below) are more comprehensive than the package 3 and 4 documents requested when we processed:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/guangzhou/47024/IV/K1%20Instruction%20GSS%202013.pdf

Our letter said to mail the package 3 documents back and we would be scheduled for an interview. We did, and we were. We received the request for package 4 documents in the mail and brought them with us, along with our copies of the package 3 documents, to intake/interview.

The package 3 and 4 document letter states that additional information can be requested by the immigration officer, and it was. But, we were prepared for it, because we read a lot from this website. Also, my wife's lawyer knew what was what. So, my fiancee had my last 3 years of tax statements which they did ask for. That was the only item, not in the packages, that they asked for. My fiancee took her medical exam just before interview, and she brought the medical exam records, the vaccination records, required passport photographs, receipt for payment of visa processing fees, along with her package 4 documents to intake. At the interview the next day, she had copies of all package 3 and 4 documents, medical and vaccination records, evidence of relationship (photos, emails, plane tickets, ring receipt, etc). The immigration officer said she was approved. She received a white letter congratulating her on her good news. She was told it would take 3 to 7 days for visa stamp. She listed the local post office as the place where she would like to pick it up. [About 8 months, $10,000 and four more "approval letters" later, she was on a plane].

Best wishes on your journey.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.