courtsk1

I-485/I-130 concurrent filing

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I've noticed that a lot of people are filing an I-130 first for their spouse, waiting on an approval notice, then filing their I-485. I was under the impression that these two forms could be filed together in the same packet. Am I wrong in this assumption? My husband and I got married in feb. and I am currently an H1B worker here in the US from Canada. We will be filing I-130 and I-485 at the same time. This is correct, yet?

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

** Moving from CR-1 spousal visa to AOS from Work Visa forum ****

OP, you are not actually filing for a CR-1 spousal visa like your profile says; visas are for entering countries, and you are already here. You are trying to Adjust Status from a work visa to a greencard based on marriage. See our Guide here on how to file: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes you are correct

I'm the immigrant

F1 => AOS

Married 12.21.12
4.11.13 Day 0 Mailed AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS Priority mail (3rd Floor address) (I-130, I-485, I-765)
4.13.13 Day 2 Package arrives at USCIS 10:24am
4.23.13 Day 12 Email and text arrives for all 3 forms 11:45pm EST
4.24.13 Day 13 All 3 money orders cashed

4.29.13 Day 18 NOA hardcopys received for I-130, I-485, I-765

5.3.13 Day 22 Biometric Notice arrives. Appointment date 5/22/13.

5.3.13 Day 22 Walk in Bio successful. No reason given.

5.8.13 Day 27 RFE mailed for I-485

5.13.13 Day 32 RFE Hardcopy received (Tax return for JS and Computerized copy of my BC)

5.23.13 Day 42 RFE Response mailed off to Lee's Summit

5.28.13 Day 47 RFE Package delivered to Lee's Summit

5.31.13 Day 50 I-485 status updated to RFE review

6.4.13 Day 56 Biometrics background check came back clear to USCIS (got this from L2 cust serv)

6.11.13 Day 64 I-485 updated to Testing and Interview (email notification)

6.17.13 Day 70 Faxed a request to NBC to Expedite EAD

6.17.13 Day 70 I-765 updated to Card/Document production

6.19.13 Day 72 Email notification, interview scheduled for July 24th

6.20.13 Day 73 I-765 updated to Card/Document production (2nd Email)

6.21.13 Day 74 I-765 Email notification, Card mailed (no tracking)

6.24.13 Day 77 EAD arrives in mail

7.24.13 Day 107 Interview!!! APPROVED ON THE SPOT

8.02.13 Day 116 Green Card arrived

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I've noticed that a lot of people are filing an I-130 first for their spouse, waiting on an approval notice, then filing their I-485. I was under the impression that these two forms could be filed together in the same packet. Am I wrong in this assumption? My husband and I got married in feb. and I am currently an H1B worker here in the US from Canada. We will be filing I-130 and I-485 at the same time. This is correct, yet?

Thanks.

yes you can file them together , I am kinda in the same boat on H1B and filing (I130,I485) through my wife .

1.usa.gov/ddKZtH

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

yes you can file them together , I am kinda in the same boat on H1B and filing (I130,I485) through my wife .

1.usa.gov/ddKZtH

Please update your timeline and share your journey

I'm the immigrant

F1 => AOS

Married 12.21.12
4.11.13 Day 0 Mailed AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS Priority mail (3rd Floor address) (I-130, I-485, I-765)
4.13.13 Day 2 Package arrives at USCIS 10:24am
4.23.13 Day 12 Email and text arrives for all 3 forms 11:45pm EST
4.24.13 Day 13 All 3 money orders cashed

4.29.13 Day 18 NOA hardcopys received for I-130, I-485, I-765

5.3.13 Day 22 Biometric Notice arrives. Appointment date 5/22/13.

5.3.13 Day 22 Walk in Bio successful. No reason given.

5.8.13 Day 27 RFE mailed for I-485

5.13.13 Day 32 RFE Hardcopy received (Tax return for JS and Computerized copy of my BC)

5.23.13 Day 42 RFE Response mailed off to Lee's Summit

5.28.13 Day 47 RFE Package delivered to Lee's Summit

5.31.13 Day 50 I-485 status updated to RFE review

6.4.13 Day 56 Biometrics background check came back clear to USCIS (got this from L2 cust serv)

6.11.13 Day 64 I-485 updated to Testing and Interview (email notification)

6.17.13 Day 70 Faxed a request to NBC to Expedite EAD

6.17.13 Day 70 I-765 updated to Card/Document production

6.19.13 Day 72 Email notification, interview scheduled for July 24th

6.20.13 Day 73 I-765 updated to Card/Document production (2nd Email)

6.21.13 Day 74 I-765 Email notification, Card mailed (no tracking)

6.24.13 Day 77 EAD arrives in mail

7.24.13 Day 107 Interview!!! APPROVED ON THE SPOT

8.02.13 Day 116 Green Card arrived

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Please update your timeline and share your journey

I am still working on gathering some documents , i will do it after mailing my application

Timeline

Thanks everyone! I'm putting together my packet and so worried that I'm missing something that will cause me to be denied or something! I didn't want to spend the money on an immigration attorney, but I kinda understand now why people do. Money well spent, I'm sure! Here's another question: as an H1B holder, I have a I-94 document. Canadians don't require visas to live in the US, so this is my only document. When we went on our honeymoon, the US immigrations officer issued me another I-94 card in miami when we returned. Do I need to submit a copy of this as well as my original H1B I-94 card? I don't want to overwhelm the person reviewing my file with too much information, but I also don't want to omit important information that could be considered as fraud. :(

Are you in possession of your original I-94? If yes, then include it. If not, then send what you have.

I do know that Canadians can be given F-1 "status" at the border without applying for a formal visa, but I have not heard of this for H1B. Surely the company had to write letters to the US gov explaining that you were the only person available to do the job? Do you have any of that? Who vetted that information?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

I was originally in the US under F1 status, so I have a I94 card for that. I also have one for the H1B status. And now I have this other one from that officer in Miami. I feel like the last one is sort of arbitrary, but I'm pretty sure thats not my call. lol

I have an employment letter from my HR person stating the information needed. I'm thinking I'll include all 3 I94 cards. My port of entry initially was Buffalo, NY Peace Bridge, so I'm going to put that as my port of entry, rather than Miami (where we entered from our honeymoon),as I was already a temporary resident (H1B) when we entered. Does that sound correct?

Okie, so you changed status from F-1 to H1B within the US.

Include what you have and spell out very clearly what you are showing. You are supposed to give away your I-94s at the border, but I suppose the fact you have many of them will help show the evolution of your statuses.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Perfect! Thank you so much! I figured it was better to just give all the information then for me to decide what was important and what was not. And am I correct to put my A# on absolutely everything in my application packet? I figure its probably a good idea.

I know I'm asking a million questions! :) I'm just excited to have found people who actually know what they're talking about and are going through the same process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.