gattonero71

K-1 Fiancee Visa lawyer

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

5 years is not a big age difference. Don't be too worried about that. 1 visit? Maybe worry about that. People have been approved with only one visit but others have not. It doesn't mean the 1 visit was the reason those cases were denied.

They look for tell-tale "signs" of fraudulent intentions on the part of your fiance (not saying that is his intention), like professing love very early in the relationship, talking marriage very early in the relationship, predatory behavior like nurturing dependence, etc. These things can be gleaned from your skype chats and email exchanges that you send them as evidence of your ongoing relationship. Couples may not even be aware that they have said or done anything wrong but consular officers/investigators take notice of even subtleties. They also, hate to say it but it's true, look at the two of you and say - do they look like they fit together? Ever seen a mismatched couple walking down the street and say to yourself "what does he/she see in her/him"? They ask those questions too.

Personally I hired a lawyer because I thought it would give me peace of mind and she didn't catch a big clerical error, which is what I was paying her to do. I am very dissatisfied and think it was a waste of money and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you have a really complicated case or your fiance has a past with US immigration like removal proceedings or deportation. In your case I kind of doubt that. If you do decide to hire one know that immigration law is federal. You can hire a lawyer in any state.

Edited by Sarah and Adnan

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

As for age difference being a red flag, I find that statement stereotypical & even prejudice. Love between two people has no age limit as long as two consenting adults (legal age) to be in a committed relationship.

It really doesn't matter what you think. It's what the consular officers and case investigators think that matters because they are the ones who decide whether to approve or deny a visa. I'm not saying people can't overcome red flags, they certainly do, but this requires careful planning, a boatload of evidence, and not giving up if at first you don't succeed. It may not be fair but life is not fair. Immigration is a privilege, not a right.

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi, I'd like to find a lawyer for obtaining a Fiancee Visa for my fiancee who lives in Morocco. I live in New York and the fees are very high, but I noticed that the lawyer fees in other near states (like Connecticut or New Jersey) are much lower. Is it better to work with a lawyer from where I live? Can the lawyer make the difference for the case? Is Morocco a difficult country for immigration? Thank you !!!!!

Yes. :yes:And it depends on your case.

Welcome to VJ

It is your call when it comes to getting a lawyer most VJ's do not, but my advise is to READ here in MENA. Empower yourself, before u start your papers, with information on VJ.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/97-middle-east-and-north-africa/

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

of present and past posts and learn what you will be up against with Immigration from Morocco. That is even if you get a lawyer it is to you and your SO benefit to be well prepared.

BTW, I am not so sure it is fair to give OP a "clearance" of her 5 year age difference being completely NOT a red flag. Coupled with differences in Cultures, Religion, MAYBE a previous Marriage/Divorce/she having children and how they met (ONLINE?)...

USC being older might come into consideration for the consulate.

IMO everything is scrutinized because of past frauds.

event.png

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks, my friend's fiancee did that but ...I should spend one month in Morocco for the translation and all the papers. Unfortunately I can't do that because my job doesn't allow me to get long vacation..

Filed: Timeline

Consider a lawyer for a K-1 only if you are the kind of guy who will ask a lawyer to appear in traffic court for you - because you are too busy to do it yourself. Otherwise, unless there is a complicating factor, such previous crimes by the beneficiary, multiple marriages on one or both sides, the woman in the marriage is not of child bearing age and neither of you has kids and other possible red flags for fraud that the USCIS tends to scrutinize more closely, you don't need a lawyer. He or she will certainly not be able to expedite the petition, despite the claims of some lawyers who make such a claim.

Timeline

5 years is not a big age difference. Don't be too worried about that. 1 visit? Maybe worry about that. People have been approved with only one visit but others have not. It doesn't mean the 1 visit was the reason those cases were denied.

They look for tell-tale "signs" of fraudulent intentions on the part of your fiance (not saying that is his intention), like professing love very early in the relationship, talking marriage very early in the relationship, predatory behavior like nurturing dependence, etc. These things can be gleaned from your skype chats and email exchanges that you send them as evidence of your ongoing relationship. Couples may not even be aware that they have said or done anything wrong but consular officers/investigators take notice of even subtleties. They also, hate to say it but it's true, look at the two of you and say - do they look like they fit together? Ever seen a mismatched couple walking down the street and say to yourself "what does he/she see in her/him"? They ask those questions too.

Personally I hired a lawyer because I thought it would give me peace of mind and she didn't catch a big clerical error, which is what I was paying her to do. I am very dissatisfied and think it was a waste of money and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you have a really complicated case or your fiance has a past with US immigration like removal proceedings or deportation. In your case I kind of doubt that. If you do decide to hire one know that immigration law is federal. You can hire a lawyer in any state.

That's another problem, we always prefer to chat on Skype ( usually we write because the audio is not perfect very often), but how can I print the Skype history? ...and about the visit, i will make the second visit in May, I wanter to start the process after the second visit .....I hope it can help. Thank you

Timeline

Thanks to everyone for your help, I am glad that I found this site I feel less alone with this problem...however I am less optimistic than before now. I visited two lawyers (only free consultation)...the first one was like..."don't worry your fiancee will be here in 7 months"...the second one was more realistic however he let me understand that the difficult part is not the Fiancee Visa....it's the next step..the adjustment of approval....the both asked me $2500 to complete the process ....I am using that money to make a second visit to my fiancee now, hope it can help....it's so unfair that people who are really in love need to go through all of this hell because of people who used "love" and people in love to come here in a fraudulent way...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

I honestly don't know why people get a lawyer to get their K-1 visa. The process is fairly simple once you do a little bit of research. My husband and I did everything ourselves for the K-1 Visa process and Adjustment of Status and had no RFEs at all.

Really just do some research on this site and save yourself a ton of money. It seems confusing at first to do it on your own, but really once you research the process and what you need to do, and do it yourself, you'll feel like a pro at it once it's all done. :)

Edited by BirdyGirl85
VJAvatar.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Thanks to everyone for your help, I am glad that I found this site I feel less alone with this problem...however I am less optimistic than before now. I visited two lawyers (only free consultation)...the first one was like..."don't worry your fiancee will be here in 7 months"...the second one was more realistic however he let me understand that the difficult part is not the Fiancee Visa....it's the next step..the adjustment of approval....the both asked me $2500 to complete the process ....I am using that money to make a second visit to my fiancee now, hope it can help....it's so unfair that people who are really in love need to go through all of this hell because of people who used "love" and people in love to come here in a fraudulent way...

If he gave you $2,500 to do your K-1 and green card later that is a really good deal. And as for the first lawyer, as soon as he or she tells you something is a piece of cake, be very skeptical of any other claims because they may just want to take your money.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

That's another problem, we always prefer to chat on Skype ( usually we write because the audio is not perfect very often), but how can I print the Skype history? ...and about the visit, i will make the second visit in May, I wanter to start the process after the second visit .....I hope it can help. Thank you

Do you use a computer, not a smartphone, for Skype?

If that's the case you can click her from contact list, click "show messages from: 1 year". You can copy and paste the contents on a Word file.

K-1 Timeline
• Feb 22, 2013 – I-129F mailed via FedEx
• Feb 25, 2013 – USCIS Dallas Lockbox received
• Feb 27, 2013 – NOA1 date (CSC)
• Mar 04, 2013 – NOA1 hardcopy in mail

• Aug 07, 2013 – NOA2 (161 days)

• Aug 10, 2013 – NOA2 hardcopy in mail

• Sep 04, 2013 – file sent out from CSC

• Sep 12, 2013 – NVC assigned TKY case #

• Sep 13, 2013 – file in transit to TKY from NVC

• Sep 16, 2013 – CEAC site case status "READY"

• Oct 21, 2013 – Interview at Tokyo Embassy, approved in 3 minutes (236 days since NOA1)

• Oct 21, 2013 – CEAC site case status "Administrative Processing"

• Oct 22, 2013 – CEAC site case status "Issued"

• Oct 23, 2013 – K-1 visa delivered at around noon

j3sWp9.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
He also managed to get my application moved from California to Vermont.

Did he actually, or did he just say he did? I would be surprised if the USCIS had the time to bother playing Musical Processing Centers with an application, lawyer or no. I would call shenanigans unless I saw an actual notice from USCIS saying that it's been moved.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Did he actually, or did he just say he did? I would be surprised if the USCIS had the time to bother playing Musical Processing Centers with an application, lawyer or no. I would call shenanigans unless I saw an actual notice from USCIS saying that it's been moved.

You have a very good point. I have not seen a note. All i know is that the I129F went through Vermont pretty quick compared to most. I have no idea if the lawyer helped this or not.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.