32 posts in this topic

Is it me or is it a pain to use a lwayer than not to use one !!!?? I mean getting things done in that office is so hard I wonder why I paid them. Im just hoping no one goes thru what Im going thru. For instance when they got my letter for the RFE no one contacted me to let me know they needed something !! If not for me being computer wise I would probaby find out after they think my application was abandoned. Well I just feel like complaining.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, a lot of friends of mine have had bad experiences with lawyers to going through the immigration process. Having a lawyer should help, but often just adds another layer to the amount of people that aren't telling you what's going on with your case. This is why I only really recommend people get a lawyer to handle their case if there's something unusual about it, as the expense and possible annoyance isn't worth it otherwise in my opinion.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
Is it me or is it a pain to use a lwayer than not to use one !!!?? I mean getting things done in that office is so hard I wonder why I paid them. Im just hoping no one goes thru what Im going thru. For instance when they got my letter for the RFE no one contacted me to let me know they needed something !! If not for me being computer wise I would probaby find out after they think my application was abandoned. Well I just feel like complaining.

Yes...using a lawyer is a pain. It takes them forever to file anything. I left them and do everything on my own after months of waiting.

i think u should CONSULT with lawyers on your case to make sure u are doing everything correctly but maybe file the actual papers yourself if u have lot of free time.

most lawyers charge like $100 or more for an hour of consultation. and u can do it over the phone too.

Yes...using a lawyer is a pain. It takes them forever to file anything. I left them and do everything on my own after months of waiting.

March 11- mailed out AOS to chicago

March 31- I-485 touched.

April 3- got letter in mail saying Initial interview on May 15.

interview came way too fast..

approved 2 yr card on july 2007

Feb10 - mailed out I-751 to CSC

Feb20 - did biometrics

waiting waiting waiting for the 10 year card......................................

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

It's just you ;)

Ok......maybe your not the only one who has had a hard time with their lawyer (I've seen a few other posts , frustrated like yours)......but I've had nothing but good fortune with my lawyer so far. No rfe's...(yet, we're at the packet 2 stage of NVC). She always contacts me when she receives anything (we email pretty frequently), and overall, I have been very happy with her performance and some of the insights she's had.

I really tried to call around(yellow pages) , and also looked at the internet, consulted with a few (the ones that gave free initial consulatations over the phone:), and paid for one consulation, etc.......before I made my decision to hire her. I asked her about her background, read information about their law firm etc.......

One thing I can empathize with you...is that some lawyers ARE frustrating, and one in particular, I considered hiring, but then got put off by the fact that he would not come to the phone in person just to answer a few basic questions I had , before I made a decision to hire him. Instead, he asked me to pay for a second consulation if I wanted them answered (and you could hear him right next to the secretary as I spoke to her on the phone.....aggravating :angry: ). That really put me off toward him, and I went with the other lawyer who was MUCH more accomodating tham him.

So far, I made the right decision. Prior to hiring her, it was a LOT of frustration for my wife and I in dealing with immigration.

Lawyers are just like any other profession....you have the good ones....and the bad.

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

Now if I fire my lawyer I will be wasting money coz she cannot return it to me. Although Im already loosing have her lazy butt doing the filing for me. I mean she was recomended by a friend who @ the time had no idea she was a bee eye tee cee h. Anyway all I can do is cross my finger , toes and pray. So much for my $1,200 ouch.................

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am in same boat Shoe.... just out of curiousity, when someone has a lawyer, does USCIS send RFE to the lawyer only. I never received mine. My lawyer got the RFE and sat on it for 4 weeks. I called her furious after checking my status online. I think most lawyers takes too many cases than they can handle in timely manner.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Exactly what happened with the lawyer we used for the K1 visa!! When I called to ask him about the RFE he was very dismissive, he didn't seem to care after he got his money!! Not empathy for what we, his clients, were going through and didn't seem to understand that we went with a lawyer for peace of mind, and to be sure we got it right first time. (I hadn't realy used Visa Journey at that point)

Good luck with the rest of your journey

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Hey shoe,

I got the same problem. He still has not gotten my RFE together. I called my lawyer last Monday and said what the F***. He totally forgot I had a damn RFE. Then he claimed he sent me and my co- sponsor some forms to sign and they should arrive in a couple of days. So far I or my co-sponsor have not received anything. I’m really upset with him and believe me when this is over I’m going to write a letter to the Bar association. :ranting:

I am in same boat Shoe.... just out of curiousity, when someone has a lawyer, does USCIS send RFE to the lawyer only. I never received mine. My lawyer got the RFE and sat on it for 4 weeks. I called her furious after checking my status online. I think most lawyers takes too many cases than they can handle in timely manner.

Yes the USCIS just sends a RFE letter to the Lawyer.

Like shoe... if I wouldn’t have contact my Lawyer I would never been contacted by them that they had the RFE letter.

Edited by scooby06

Sep. 19-06 send AOS papers

Oct. 02-06 received NOS of papers

Oct. 02-06 received Biometric appointment letter

Oct. 11-06 Biometric appointment

Oct. 12-06 RFE for I-485

Dec. 05-06 USCIS recived RFE package

Dec. 15-06 Recived Email EAD approved.

Dec. 21-06 Recived EAD card in mail

Jan. 05-07 send AR-11 to HLS

Feb. 12-07 Recived SS card in mail

Mar. 09-07 Recived USCIS updat notification on change of address (at new address)

Aug. 01-07 Interview date

Aug. 01-07 Interview in Memphis. Approved

Aug. 12-07 Conditional GC in mail

May 01 -2009 Start of Removing Conditon of Residancy send I-751 off

May. 04-09 I-751 package deliverd at USCIS Vermont

May. 16-09 NOA for I-751

May. 29-09 recived Biometric appointment letter

Jun. 09-09 Biometric Appointment

Oct. 13-09 Letter arrived. Approved

Oct. 26-09 10 Year GC in mail

May 04 - 2010 Start of Natruralization process sent N-400

May 06 - 10 N-400 delivered to Uscis Texas

May 18 - 10 recived NOA

Jun. 14 - 10 Biometric appointment

Aug. 11 - 10 Interview appointment

Spt. 29 - 10 Oath letter asrrived

Oct. 21- 10 I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN

i just want to add myself to the list of people who had bad experiences with immigration attorneys.

our lawyer gave us wrong information, we could never reach her on the phone, etc.

we used her for the K1 but we did not use a lawyer for the AOS.

i am extremely disappointed by attorneys.

Summer 1998 ... beginning of our love

Fall 1998 .......... beginning of our long distance relationship

K1

03/2006 I-129F filed

07/2006 I-129F approved

10/2006 visa received

AOS

11/2006 AOS filed

02/2007 conditional Green Card in mail

Removal of Conditons

12/2008 I-751 filed

05/2009 Green Card in mail

Thank you VisaJourney

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband and I didn't hire a lawyer, but we did consult with one at the time we were about to send our I-864 to the NVC. He paid about US$75 for the hour and went to their office. They were of great help! And he was told by the lawyer that I did a great job organizing the documents!! :D

We didn't hire a lawyer because we thought we could do it all ourselves, but we should have at least consulted with one before we sent the I-130...it would have avoided much of the confusion we had and that later on had me almost deported from the US!!! We also had no idea that VJ existed! Fortunately we had no RFE's and soon we'll have the interview.

Just a question...did you pay her all that you owe or do you still have to pay more? If you still have to pay more I'd consider firing her and doing the rest on your own. It really surprises me that some lawyers are so careless with their clients lives...especially if you are paying with your hard-worked-for money!!!!

Good luck!

Alix :star:

N-400 (based on 3-year marriage rule)
06/05/2014 Application Sent
06/06/2014 Application Received in Phoenix

06/09/2014 Priority Date

06/11/2014 Notice Date

06/12//2014 Check Cashed
06/12/2014 Received email/text receipt confirmation from Phoenix Lockbox

06/17/2014 Biometrics Letter mailed
06/20/2014 Biometrics Letter Received

06/24/2014 Biometrics Walk-in

06/26/2014 In line for Interview

07/03/2014 Original Biometrics Appointment

07/29/2014 Yellow Letter Received

09/05/2014 Interview letter Received

10/07/2014 Interview

10/17/2014 Received email/text that oath has been scheduled

Filed: Timeline

shoe,

It's not you and it's not "a lwayer" - it's this particular lawyer.

Well, it's partly you - your the one who selected this particular lawyer.

Yodrak

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
shoe,

It's not you and it's not "a lwayer" - it's this particular lawyer.

Well, it's partly you - your the one who selected this particular lawyer.

Yodrak

Can't really blame the client! All lawyers have the gift of the gabb and can talk you out of your money, that's what lawyyers are good at. It's just bad uck that the silver tongued lawyer changed into a "I don't give a damn about your case" lawyer. I researched many lawyers in New York and eventually went with a friend of a friend of the future father-in-law. Despite the research and a good feeeling bout him, he sucked.

When I spoke to him he was unhelpful and uninformed about current issues. We have since gone it alone on the AOS, fingers crossed there.

Just stick with himuntil you are over here, keep track of your case yourself. After that, stick with Visa Journey (unless you have any circumstances which will complicate your case - if so find another lawyer)!!

Use the wealth of knowledge that is Visa Journey, they helped me, theyv'e helped thousands of others.

Good Luck

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.