meljon

wrong answer to question #17 (I-130)

25 posts in this topic

Hi to all,

Good day everyone! "On the form I-130, question #17 asks to list the spouse and all children including the ones from previous relationship, but I overlooked at it and I marked N/A. I'm worried about this, has anyone had any issues with this?"

Many Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Are there children and spouse from a previous relationship? if yes,then that is very important information you left out there and could be interpreted as misrepresentation of facts.

If you already have your case number etc, you may just want to send in an attachment referencing your case number with this omitted information and hope they macth it to your file. Make sure you keep copies of the additinal info you send,in case it comes up in future. That way you can show you made an independent attempt to correct it.

Someone correct me if what I am suggesting is wrong.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Are you saying if you were married and got divorced, you have to list your x-wife in Block #17, even if you have not seen her for the last 25 years??? And if you have previous children you have to list them also? even if they are adults and married now???

DCF Manila

December 12, 2009 Married Lapu-Lapu, Philippines

October 2, 2013 Submitted I-130's

October 8, 2013 I-130's Approved

October 16, 2013 MNL Case Number's Issued

October 30, 2013 NBI Clearance

October 31, 2013 DS-260's Submitted On- Line

October 31, 2013 Cemar CRS Form No. 5

November 23, 2013 Received Packet #3 From US Embassy Manila

January 8-10 2014 Medical Exam's Passed

February 11, 2014 IR-1/IR-2 Visa's Approved

February 17, 2014 Passport's/Visa's in Transit from Post

February 19, 2014 Passport's/Visa's Arrive Via 2Go

February 28, 2014 CFO Completed

June 2, 2014 POE & Immigration at Guam

Thanks for your responses. We're both single when we got married and we don't have a child yet. I'm just confused and want to make sure that I'm right since it says "list your spouse" which I didn't notice. But if my answer is okay, I'm glad to know it and still waiting for my NOA2, mAR'13 MSC-CR1 filer.

Thanks for your answer again, at least now I'm worry-free. :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Are you saying if you were married and got divorced, you have to list your x-wife in Block #17, even if you have not seen her for the last 25 years??? And if you have previous children you have to list them also? even if they are adults and married now???

Yes to all questions!.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi to all,

Good day everyone! "On the form I-130, question #17 asks to list the spouse and all children including the ones from previous relationship, but I overlooked at it and I marked N/A. I'm worried about this, has anyone had any issues with this?"

Many Thanks!

For this question, you would list yourself as your foreign spouse's "spouse" and your foreign spouse's children as their children. There is no place on the I-130 that ask about the US Citizen petitioner's children.If your foreign spouse has no children, then N/A where your own name should have been will not be a problem as long as you checked the husband or wife box at the top of the form.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

No. Section 17 is about the foreign spouse's current spouse and any of the foreign spouse's children, regardless of age.

I just stumbled across this thread, so apologies if I'm not supposed to write here since its been moved (still learning to navigate my way around here)- this question is going to come up for me and my future husband.. I have three children, all under 5, but they fall under Australias jurisdiction and there is no way I could even hope to bring them to the USA, my ex basically stripped me of my parenting right as soon as I divorced him, so is the fact that I have three kids going to be an issue, even though I am not allowed to financially support them, etc?

It's not a problem unless your parenting rights were removed due to criminal activity. THEN, the problem would be the crimes, not the children.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Yes to all questions!.

This is wrong. Former spouse's are not listed in section 17. Former spouse information goes in #11, not #17. Former spouses are also listed on the G325a.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

In section 17, the petitioner enters their own information on the first line because they are their foreign spouse's "spouse". They then list any children of their foreign spouse. If the foreign spouse has no children, then the petitioner's name, DOB and place of birth are all that is entered there when filing for a spouse.

As an example if you were instead filing for your mother, who is married to your father, your father's name would appear as your mother's spouse and your name would appear as one of your mother's children, along with any of your brothers and sisters, of any age, unless deceased.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Hi to all,

Many Thanks!

Just to add, NO, #17 does not ask about former spouses. It asks about the beneficiary's children, no matter who the other parent was. If the foreign spouse was married 4 times and has 8 children, list all their children, but list yourself as their current spouse.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Sorry pushbrk is right. I was thinking of a completely different question when I answered. I apologize for the wrong answers. /blushes. I'll be more careful in the future.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Just to add, NO, #17 does not ask about former spouses. It asks about the beneficiary's children, no matter who the other parent was. If the foreign spouse was married 4 times and has 8 children, list all their children, but list yourself as their current spouse.

yes you're absolutely right. but what will happen to N/A answer? I hope our petition will not be affected by this.

For this question, you would list yourself as your foreign spouse's "spouse" and your foreign spouse's children as their children. There is no place on the I-130 that ask about the US Citizen petitioner's children.If your foreign spouse has no children, then N/A where your own name should have been will not be a problem as long as you checked the husband or wife box at the top of the form.

Oh okay, got it! Thank you so much for being kind answering my query. And thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts about this. Really much appreciated!

Oh okay, thank you so much! Really much appreciated! Yes I put my name on the first part. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.