IuliiaS

Taking Alaska cruise without a green card

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I need your help!!!

I got here on a K-1 visa. Got married and applied for adjustment of status (green card). My status is pending right now. I got my fingerprints taken and waiting for my interview to be scheduled. My I-94 and K-1 visa expired.

I am planning to take a cruise to Alaska and there is a stop in Canadian port on the way back to Seattle.

My questions are:

1. Am I allowed to take this cruise just with my Ukrainian passport while my status is pending?

2. And if there is a stop in a Canadian port and I shouldn't leave the territory of the USA before I get my green card, am I allowed to take this cruise without leaving the ship in Canadian port?

The ship is U.S-flagged.

Looking forward to your responds.

Thank you!

1. If you do, you will not be allowed back to the US. You would also need a tourist visa to Canada. So basically, no.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

But Alaska is US state . . . And I've heard if the ship is U.S.-fluffed it is a US territory . . . And what about airports, if you don't go out, you don't need a visa. There should be law about this. Don't know where to look for?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I need your help!!!

I got here on a K-1 visa. Got married and applied for adjustment of status (green card). My status is pending right now. I got my fingerprints taken and waiting for my interview to be scheduled. My I-94 and K-1 visa expired.

I am planning to take a cruise to Alaska and there is a stop in Canadian port on the way back to Seattle.

My questions are:

1. Am I allowed to take this cruise just with my Ukrainian passport while my status is pending?

2. And if there is a stop in a Canadian port and I shouldn't leave the territory of the USA before I get my green card, am I allowed to take this cruise without leaving the ship in Canadian port?

The ship is U.S-flagged.

Thank you!

If you are not a U.S. citizen, Canada requires a visa.

Without your green card, you need something to get back into the U.S. You will be sailing in international waters, and you will be visiting another country (Canada) so as far as the U.S. is concerned, you've left the country. You should have applied for Advanced Parole when you submitted your I485 petition. It is meant for situations like this.

Hope this helps.

hummm what if never get off ship?

What if cruise gets in trouble, like the recent ones in the Caribbean, and is then towed to the nearest port where everybody is required to get off?

Filed: Timeline

What if cruise gets in trouble, like the recent ones in the Caribbean, and is then towed to the nearest port where everybody is required to get off?

Of all the things to do, learn and discover in this wonderful country, I cannot understand the need to bolt that some new arrivers have.

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I need your help!!!

My questions are:

The ship is U.S-flagged.

Thank you!

They are not going to let you board the ship without the correct visas for all the ports. There is immigration while you board the ship . I worked and traveled on ships and I promise you there is no way around it. You can't use " I will not get off the ship in Canada" because nobody can be prevented from getting of the ship in port. So either you wait for your greencard and then you don't need a Canadian visa or you apply for one. It is a simple procedure done via mail and you'll get your visa in less than 2 weeks.

Also you can't leave the US until you have your EAD/ AP card in hand otherwise your AOS will be considered abandoned and your greencard denied.

Edited by Mariana2012

Adjusting from B1/B2

Exactly 3 months from the day we got married till the day I had both SSN and GREENCARD in hand !

Day 1 01/22/2013 AOS package sent

Day 8 01/28/2013 NOA 1 received

Day 15 02/04/2013Biometrics appt letter for 2/25/2013

Day 16 02/05/2013 Succesful walk in biometrics 20 days early

Day 25 02/14/2013 USCIS status changed to Testing and Interview ready for interview scheduling

Day 31 02/20/2013 Email notification that my interview is scheduled for March 21st

Day 57 03/19/2013 EAD/AP card ordered

Day 59 03/21/2013 Interview at 10.30 am Seattle Approved

Day 67 03/29/ 2013 Greencard Arrived . Applied for SSN

Day 68 03/30/2013 EAD arrived

Day 74 04/03/2013 SSN card arrived

Eligible for ROC December 21st 2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.