Dr. A ♥ O

Warrant issued for "Egypt's Jon Stewart

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I know people have to explain British humor to me (and still I'm not sure I get it). And my husband says he doesn't get Saudi humor at all. Somethings just don't translate across cultures.

Mostly though I'm sure its just the lenses they are viewing this satire through.

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]
Sima Applies for B2: 12/2012
5yr B2 approved: 02/2012
Married: 03/09/2012
NAO1: 04/25/2012
NAO2: 07/26/2012
8/8/2012: NVC Case Received
NVC #: 8/29/2012

1/24/13: AoS and 230 accepted
01/31/13: Rec'd checklist (expectedly)
02/14/13: Item @ NVC

CASE COMPLETE: 2/24/13
03/15/13: Interview date received
03/17/13: Medical
INTERVIEW: 4/03/13
"Approved Pending AP"
11/07/2013: Request for Updated Documents (via Egyptian consulate AP page)

12/20/2013: Request for return of Passport to Embassy (phone call)
01/13/2014: Passport returned to embassy

01/15/2014: Status Changed (CEAC) Visa Printed
VISA RECEIVED: 1/17/14 dancin5hr.gif

POE: JFK on 3/12/14 CLEARED!
Baby1 1/2015 Baby2 8/2106 isA

2016 Beginning naturalization process later this year, isA

There's probably some MENA people that need to have the "concept of sarcasm talk" with their "western" SO.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I know people have to explain British humor to me (and still I'm not sure I get it). And my husband says he doesn't get Saudi humor at all. Somethings just don't translate across cultures.

Mostly though I'm sure its just the lenses they are viewing this satire through.

RFQ I have to have British humor explained to me sometimes too and other kinds of humor. Like today there was a joke by the Australian Easter bunny in that new movie Guardians where he picks up a bag of teeth and says "jack pot you're a brumbie." I had to ask what a brumbie was and then I got the joke. That's light hearted humor.

The story about the Egyptian Jon Stewart is reaching Western media more. It was covered in the guardian this morning and they explained it better with what's going on. Link

They even have video of him turning himself in. The "western media article" explains to their "western audience," why this new form of "Egyptian satire" has hit a nerve with the people who are the butt of his jokes. Namely it's the MB who are cracking down. It also goes on to explain the illegal appointees ect.

I am pretty sure we are talking about Egyptians understanding Egyptian satirists though. Which is why the suggestion is so dayumed funny.

It's obvious in this case that not all Egyptians are on the same page in regards to Satire. That's why it's mind boggling you disagree with the fact they think he's gone to far even according to their standards and you still don't get it.

There's probably some MENA people that need to have the "concept of sarcasm talk" with their "western" SO.

I guess I am the "some people" that you're targeting and I often get your tone of sarcasm. I just don't appreciate the persistent and belligerent ignorance towards me that's been going on for the past five years in your posts. For the most part I ignore your continued harassment of me, but lately you're bringing it to a new level of creepy, weird and obsessive. You don't surprise me anymore. This is the bazillionth time you've treated me badly and I can't say you've ever had a kind word towards me. I think we both know this isn't about me as much as it's about your ego.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Actually, "the talk" was in reference to the commenters after I posted, which up until now, did not include you.

And as long as I see people who ought to know better write ridiculous, condescending Arab or MENA generalizations that are completely bonkers, I see fit to comment on the absurdity. This is not exclusive to you by any means Olivia, but you sure provide a lot of fodder. Being the "mysterious white western wife, delivering the raw news" and all.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hmmm this reminds me of that song...you thought this post was about you, don't you, don't you? Whose ego were we talking about?

Edited by Mithra

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

It's obvious in this case that not all Egyptians are on the same page in regards to Satire. That's why it's mind boggling you disagree with the fact they think he's gone to far even according to their standards and you still don't get it.

Bassem wasn't served the arrest warrant because people don't understand his humor. He was served the arrest warrant because certain people don't like his humor. The powers that be are trying to get back to business as usual but feel paralyzed by the opposition parties who are unhappy with them being in power. They perceive any challenge to their authority as a threat, so they are dealing with it in a fashion they are more accustomed to - the old authoritarian route. Of course the opposition parties are understandably upset with the changes that the majority government are trying to make and they don't have much say (though it would help if they actually participated in parliament rather than boycott everything on principle). The whole thing is one big, flaming train wreck and is likely to be for many years to come. It's the perfect excuse for the MB to keep the exact same power structure from the Mubarak years in place.

On the plus side his legal troubles and international news attention have probably upped his credibility and netted him a much wider audience. Could end up being a boon for him.

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

He made CNN now: http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/31/world/africa/egypt-host-questioned/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Maybe the International attention will help him out with the authorities too.

Bassem wasn't served the arrest warrant because people don't understand his humor. He was served the arrest warrant because certain people don't like his humor. The powers that be are trying to get back to business as usual but feel paralyzed by the opposition parties who are unhappy with them being in power. They perceive any challenge to their authority as a threat, so they are dealing with it in a fashion they are more accustomed to - the old authoritarian route. Of course the opposition parties are understandably upset with the changes that the majority government are trying to make and they don't have much say (though it would help if they actually participated in parliament rather than boycott everything on principle). The whole thing is one big, flaming train wreck and is likely to be for many years to come. It's the perfect excuse for the MB to keep the exact same power structure from the Mubarak years in place.

On the plus side his legal troubles and international news attention have probably upped his credibility and netted him a much wider audience. Could end up being a boon for him.

What Parliament? There hasn't been a Parliament in Egypt for, sheesh, well, since a couple of months after it was elected and the Judges decided it was illegal and shut it down.

Court drops lawsuit against 'Egypt's Jon Stewart'

(Photo: Amr Nabil, AP)

CAIRO (AP) — A Cairo court turned down on Saturday a suit filed by a Muslim Brotherhood lawyer demanding that a popular Egyptian satirist's TV show be banned for allegedly insulting the president and excessive sexual innuendo.

Judge Hassouna Tawfiq said that the lawsuit against Bassem Youssef's "El-Bernameg," or "The Program," was dropped because the plaintiff did not have an interest in the case.

Youssef — known as Egypt's Jon Stewart — frequently satirizes President Mohammed Morsi. Morsi hails from the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt's best-organized political force.

Chief Brotherhood lawyer Abdel-Moneim Maqsoud told The Associated Press that plaintiff Mahmoud Abul-Enein brought forth the case on his own, without involving the Islamist group.

There have been multiple complaints filed in courts and to state prosecutors by Islamist lawyers against Youssef and other public figures for their political or religious opinions.

Opposition groups and activists say such lawsuits against public figures are part of a wider campaign to intimidate critics in deeply polarized Egypt.

Youssef was interrogated this week in a separate case for allegedly insulting Islam and the country's leader, questioning that drew criticism from Washington and rights advocates.

The president's office said it was not involved in the investigation, and that it recognizes the "importance of freedom of expression."

Brotherhood lawyer Mahmoud Abul-Enein filed the suit demanding the suspension of the license of the private satellite TV channel, the Capital Broadcasting Center, which broadcasts the show. He claimed Youssef's program "corrupted morals" and violated "religious principles."

Undeterred by the charges against him, Youssef was back on the air Friday poking new fun at the international publicity he received after lampooning the Egyptian president.

"Not everything has to be about the president. This isn't fear. I am not pulling back," he said on the show.

Youssef then said sarcastically that after his visit to the attorney general, he had decided not to talk on the show about Morsi — just the attorney general. The television audience erupted in applause and laughter.

Then Youssef spent a good part of his show ridiculing both the attorney general and the president.

Responding to a member of Morsi's Brotherhood party who said in a news clip that Youssef only focuses on the Islamist group and the president, he joked: "They are not two things. They are one."

It was a way of mocking the president's insistence that his policy decisions are made independent of the Brotherhood.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/04/06/court-lawsuit-egypts-stewart/2058527/

So it's all over? Probably not.

Edited by sandinista!

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

John Stewart defending Bassem Yousef:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.