Dr. A ♥ O

Warrant issued for "Egypt's Jon Stewart

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband is a fan of this guy and has at times shared with me clips of his on Youtube, or the time he was actually on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. He's pretty funny but even my Husband says he went too far in his jokes with the people in power and now they're after him and won't stop until they bring him down.

CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's official news agency says state prosecutors have issued an arrest warrant for a popular TV satirist for allegedly insulting Islam and the country's president.

The warrant issued Saturday is the latest in a series of legal actions against Bassem Youssef, known as Egypt's Jon Stewart.

Youssef's widely-watched weekly show has become a platform for parodying the government, opposition, media and clerics.

The comedian has faced a number of lawsuits in the past accusing him of insulting Islamist President Mohammed Morsi, and "corrupting morals."

One of Youssef's attorneys, Gamal Eid, said this is the first time an arrest warrant has been issued for Youssef, however.

The warrant comes amid what the opposition says is a widening government crackdown against its ranks, fueling concerns about freedoms of expression and assembly.

Source

This is an article I posted awhile ago about him. Maybe not on this site though now that I think about it? It's a good read: Meet Egypt's Jon Stewart who is under investigation for satire

Edited by Dr. A ♥ O

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband also watches Bassem every night, and we both like John Stewart, but I didn't hear my husband mention yet about an arrest warrant...

01-04-09 - Married in Egyptian Embassy - Qatar - honeymoon in Egypt (Ahmed's home country)

05-04-09 - I-130 Sent

12-13-09 - INTERVIEW PASSED (Qatar)....Spent 12 weeks in AP

03-03-10 - VISA IN HAND :)

03-06-10 - AHMED COMES HOME :)

03-12-10 - SS# card received

03-19-10 - GC received

05-15-10 - First job

06-01-11 - Better job!

03-2012 - Started our business

Removal of Conditions/10 yr GC

02-15-12 - Sent I-175 ROC

07-17-12 - approved!....card production ordered!!!!

07-21-12 - 10 yr card arrived in mail :)

03-2013 - Apply for Naturalization

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

Democracy, الإخوان المسلمون style.

Edited by Sarah and Adnan

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Awe man! That guy is funny!!!

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]
Sima Applies for B2: 12/2012
5yr B2 approved: 02/2012
Married: 03/09/2012
NAO1: 04/25/2012
NAO2: 07/26/2012
8/8/2012: NVC Case Received
NVC #: 8/29/2012

1/24/13: AoS and 230 accepted
01/31/13: Rec'd checklist (expectedly)
02/14/13: Item @ NVC

CASE COMPLETE: 2/24/13
03/15/13: Interview date received
03/17/13: Medical
INTERVIEW: 4/03/13
"Approved Pending AP"
11/07/2013: Request for Updated Documents (via Egyptian consulate AP page)

12/20/2013: Request for return of Passport to Embassy (phone call)
01/13/2014: Passport returned to embassy

01/15/2014: Status Changed (CEAC) Visa Printed
VISA RECEIVED: 1/17/14 dancin5hr.gif

POE: JFK on 3/12/14 CLEARED!
Baby1 1/2015 Baby2 8/2106 isA

2016 Beginning naturalization process later this year, isA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

A downhill spiral in search of freedom.... sad sad sad. The guy is funny and incredibly smart. I really do hope nothing happens.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Not a word about it in the English Egyptian media, that I've seen, anyway.

However, it's all over the Arabic press.

http://www2.youm7.com/News.asp?NewsID=999761

The government won't leave the guy alone. Evidently he's been accused of insulting the President, which pretty much everyone does openly, just not on television.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ya it's pretty big news over there and he's really funny. Anyone else have to have the concept of satire conversation with their Egyptian SO or family?

My husband and I get it and don't think it's going to far because we understand the humor. However from what I understand the comedian is in pretty big trouble with those that are the butt end of the jokes that have the power to do something about it. Freedom of speech and the concept of satire on broadcast television and making others look bad through his brand of comedy is kind of a new thing. He's doing a new thing mopping the floor with them and may be the screwed one. Not everyone gets it like those of us in the West. We've been doing this democracy thing for awhile longer though. Plus you know the thing about never scratch an Arab man's pride or you'll rue the day burning in his fire.

From the news today the comedian said he would go to the officials house and turn himself in because he doesn't want to give them the satisfaction of coming to his house and making a scene. I guess there is something else going on with the officials or judges there and being illegally appointed. I don't understand it all myself but is seems the comedian and others are in doubt about an investigation getting started on him because of what's going on with the officials there themselves. Plus they're saying this is the old system of corruption and this isn't a new trick. They're just doing the same old thing they know how to do with the people they don't like.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

Ya it's pretty big news over there and he's really funny. Anyone else have to have the concept of satire conversation with their Egyptian SO or family?

My husband and I get it and don't think it's going to far because we understand the humor. However from what I understand the comedian is in pretty big trouble with those that are the butt end of the jokes that have the power to do something about it. Freedom of speech and the concept of satire on broadcast television and making others look bad through his brand of comedy is kind of a new thing. He's doing a new thing mopping the floor with them and may be the screwed one. Not everyone gets it like those of us in the West. We've been doing this democracy thing for awhile longer though. Plus you know the thing about never scratch an Arab man's pride or you'll rue the day burning in his fire.

From the news today the comedian said he would go to the officials house and turn himself in because he doesn't want to give them the satisfaction of coming to his house and making a scene. I guess there is something else going on with the officials or judges there and being illegally appointed. I don't understand it all myself but is seems the comedian and others are in doubt about an investigation getting started on him because of what's going on with the officials there themselves. Plus they're saying this is the old system of corruption and this isn't a new trick. They're just doing the same old thing they know how to do with the people they don't like.

We had a big family night around the TV with auntie and cousins watching it and they laughed themselves to tears! That was on FIL's side. On MIL's side I think they would mostly get it lol-- maybe a few elders might not...idk. My girlfriend over there-- her and her family 'gets' it too. idk...

Sad really-- but I think he's known for some time that he is really walking a thin line. He is public enough though that if they're going to make an example out of them, they are going to have the world really glaring.

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]

"Approved Pending AP"

Oh those Arabs with their silly pride and satire incomprehension. Thank God for westerners willing to explain an Egyptian comedian/satirist to the bulk of his intended audience, lost as they were without westerners and their mad satire comprehension skills.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

I don't know the first thing about him, though it would probably take me nanoseconds to get what he's all about, what with my amazing western mastery of understanding satire, but I do appreciate that the man showed up to the high court today sporting a giant hat. Satirically. I'm sure it was way over the heads of all the Egyptians gathered there though, this funny, satirical hat...

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Timeline

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/68103/Egypt/Politics-/Bassem-Youssef-arrives-at-Egypts-high-court-for-qu.aspx

^ the aforementioned hat. I find this hysterical... If you're going down in flames, might as well crack jokes on the way. Y'know he'll just be a martyr for the cause.

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]

"Approved Pending AP"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oh those Arabs with their silly pride and satire incomprehension. Thank God for westerners willing to explain an Egyptian comedian/satirist to the bulk of his intended audience, lost as they were without westerners and their mad satire comprehension skills.

He has a big audience. I don't think westerners had to explain the satirical humor to Egyptians. Like in the US, I must say, there are some people that have no sense of humor whatsoever. Unfortunately for him, it's the "democratic government."

In 2001, right after 9/11 happened, every radio station received a "memo" from the White House. Yes, Bush had signed an order with a thick "thesis-like" list of all the songs we should NOT play. So, you can imagine the music we were supposed to play. Rage Against the Machine's entire catalog was banned. Zach and I still laugh about this.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." Shelley, Percy Bysshe

This applies to journalism, and now, comedy- hence, his comparison with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

Edited by NY_BX

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Yeah, no. It's well documented in the annals of neuroscience that Arabs need white peoples in western countries to explain their own comedians and satirists to them.

Thanks for the shared Zach de la Rocha chuckle though-did he still have those ratty dreads then?

Shelley quotes are always good too. Since this is an Egyptian related thread, someone should probably post Ozymandias in full.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.