2kissintherain

my boyfriend came on the VWP

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A Belgian national probably cannot adjust status in the US if he is here as a visitor under the Visa Waiver Program. After you get married, you could file for his I-130 while he is stateside, he can stay here as long as he is legally allowed (90 days max I believe) but he would need to go to Brussels or whatever local US consulate there is to get his passport stamped with an immigrant visa. If he were here on a student visa or another type of non-immigrant visa, that is a different thing. Although the statute (INA section 245 section ©(4)) seems to say it's ok for an alien to adjust status if he or she is here on the VWP can adjust status based on a US citizen spouse, it has been a contraversial issue and USCIS takes a different position. Here is a link to an article that might be helpful for you.

http://www.montaglaw.com/2012/03/11/visa-waiver-adjustment-no-love-in-the-city-of-brotherly-love/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

If you get married and start the immigration process, then take into consideration that

1 - han cannot visit back home until he either has greencard in hand or a temp. travel document. It takes around 3 months from receiving a receipt from USCIS after you've submitted the documents. If he leaves before greencard/travel document in hand - regardless of the situation - his application will be denied.

2 - the petition/application alone costs around 1400, not including the mandatory medical(and vaccinations if he's missing some), passport style pictures, travel to/from biometrics appointment/interview and other fees you might run into.

3 - Be prepared for the affidavit of support and what it requires. That'll most likely be the one form you'll spent the most time on. It's you as the USC who needs to fill this one out. All other documents are filled out by the non-USC.

4 - He cannot work until he has either greencard or work auth. On the bright side, if you submit the work application(and travel doc.) at the same time of I485(AOS) you don't have to pay for it - the fee for I765 and I131 is waived.

So - you guys need to get married first. Apply for marriage license, get married, get certified copy of the marriage certificate. Make copies of this one, probably around 5 while you're at it anyways. Gather his birth cert., translate it and gather all other documents needed. Find a USCIS approved civil surgeon in the area and get medical done(expect around 150-200 dollars for a full medical).

At this time you already have your supporting paperwork done for the I864(affidavit of support) so everything's ready to be submitted. I'm saying this because the faster you get in out there, the less of an unlawful stay he'll be in.

Read the guide on here (AOS from tourist visa) to see the full list of documents and the flowchart.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He came here for the full 90 days so waiting another 90 days or so to get work authorisation or being able to visit home is probably no biggie.

Adjust status is really a question of assembling documents and filling in forms, most people here do it themselves.

This is the wrong part of the site for marriage guidance, perhaps a Mod can move those questions in to their own thread.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

A Belgian national probably cannot adjust status in the US if he is here as a visitor under the Visa Waiver Program. After you get married, you could file for his I-130 while he is stateside, he can stay here as long as he is legally allowed (90 days max I believe) but he would need to go to Brussels or whatever local US consulate there is to get his passport stamped with an immigrant visa. If he were here on a student visa or another type of non-immigrant visa, that is a different thing. Although the statute (INA section 245 section ©(4)) seems to say it's ok for an alien to adjust status if he or she is here on the VWP can adjust status based on a US citizen spouse, it has been a contraversial issue and USCIS takes a different position. Here is a link to an article that might be helpful for you.

http://www.montaglaw.com/2012/03/11/visa-waiver-adjustment-no-love-in-the-city-of-brotherly-love/

I'm afraid you don't know what you're talking about, even if you talk like a lawyer.

There are lots of people on this site who have successfully adjusted status after entering under the VWP. The key is whether USCIS think the immigrant intended to marry and immigrate when entering the US, or decided to later.

http://www.montaglaw...brotherly-love/

Totally wrong. There is no issue with people from VWP adjusting status when they have a USC spouse. Many have done it, just read the all the stories on this site alone.

I'm afraid you don't know what you're talking about, even if you talk like a lawyer.

There are lots of people on this site who have successfully adjusted status after entering under the VWP. The key is whether USCIS think the immigrant intended to marry and immigrate when entering the US, or decided to later.

Yes, except intent is not the issue. The only issue is a bonafide marriage. Intent is assessed at the border when the visitor is entering the US. If they are allowed to enter, they were judged to have no intent. Although there have been some anecdotes of people being asked about intent at their interview, it is not used as a reason to deny. There must be other serious negative factors in the case for a denial.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

first off its noones busniess how or when or what we do in our relationship two,its no read flag this was as random as any,if he never met me he never would have came here no need to all his former life is set,doesnt really need to go back, all i was asking was what is the proccess im not on a high, im in love huge difference, also he is from belgium,so besides i just wanted advice not a hole speal on this thanks but you didnt help

IMHO the other poster made a series of valid and very true comments. Nobody leaves their job and their entire life behind in such an unplanned spontaneous manner.

However, having said that what does anyone know? It appears you and your new husband were made for each other.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No mention of job.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Sorry you have to go through all these idiots who think they know everything. My hubby and I did exactly what you are wondering about. We've been married a year now and never looked back. Sometimes things are just right. Good luck on your journey, feel free to add me as were going through the process right now.

From the time we submitted our forms till AOS approval (112 days).

Timeline:

January 9, 2012 : Arrived in the United States on VWP from Scotland to visit for a few months.
March 23, 2012 : Married in Pekin, IL
heart.gif
March 19, 2013 (day 1) : Forms sent into the Chicago Lockbox

March 26, 2013 (day 7) : NOA1 Reciepts for I-130, I-765, I-485; case accepted
April 4, 2013 (day 19) : Change of Address reciept
April 10, 2013 (day 25) : Biometrics appointment notice, appointment sent for April 23rd
April 15, 2013 (day 30) : RFE for I-485
April 23, 2013 (day 38) : Biometrics appointment in Naperville, IL. Super easy, no wait.
April 28 2013 (day 43) : Receipt of Evidence
May 5, 2013 (day 47) : Interview appointment to be scheduled

May 11, 2013 (day 53) : Interview set for July 9, 2013

May 27, 2013 (day 69): EAD has been ordered/sent out

June 6, 2013 (day 79): recieved EAD, applied for SSN

June 14, 2013 (day 87): Recieved SSN

July 1, 2013 (day 104): HIRED!!! (two jobs I might add!!))

July 9, 2013 (Day 112): AOS Interview @Chicago Office, APPROVED ON THE SPOT!!!

July 10, 2013 (Day 113): Illinois Drivers License!!!

July 12,2013 (Day 115): GC Production ordered

July 17, 2013 (Day 120): Green Card Recieved!!!

TWO LOVELY YEARS (July 2013 - October 2015)

October 27, 2015 (Day 1 ROC): Sent ROC packet with fee waiver and late explaination

November 11, 2015 (Day 15 ROC): Packet Denied based on lack of evidence for fee waiver

December 22nd, 2016 (Day 1 restart ROC): Packet resubmitted with better evidence

January 23rd, 2017 (Day 32 since restart ROC): Packet accepted and fee waiver approved

mbpndc.jpg

Edited because was on totally wrong topic, sorry

Edited by ValerieA

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.