TheNewGirl

How long (if at all) can I use my foreign drivers license?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi,

I’ve been in the Stated for 5 years now. 4 years in college and 1 year on OPT.

I just received my second EAD and am waiting for my interview to get my AOS approved.

I have not owned a car since I’ve been here but had a moped in college. When I bought the moped, the salesman said all he needed was my Swedish drivers license and it has also been enough when I got stopped by a cop once because my back light was out.

I also borrow my husbands car from time to time.

Now, I know that I should have gotten a US license by now but always thought I didn’t have to until I was a resident (or I bought a car) and until then I could use my Swedish license (which is still valid) :blush:

Am I wrong? Anyone who knows how long, if at all, i am able to keep going on my foreign license.

Thanks!!

04/13/2008 - Officially became a couple

11/26/2012 - Married

12/27/2012 - Sent in AOS Package

01/04/2013 - Received NOA

02/06/2013 - Biometrics appointment

02/19/2013 - Received interview date

03/02/2013 - Online notice of Approved EAD

03/08/2013 - Received EAD card in mail

03/26/2013 - INTERVIEW (rescheduled)

Hi,

I just received my second EAD and am waiting for my interview to get my AOS approved.

I have not owned a car since I’ve been here but had a moped in college. When I bought the moped, the salesman said all he needed was my Swedish drivers license and it has also been enough when I got stopped by a cop once because my back light was out.

Now, I know that I should have gotten a US license by now but always thought I didn’t have to until I was a resident (or I bought a car) and until then I could use my Swedish license (which is still valid) :blush:

Am I wrong? Anyone who knows how long, if at all, i am able to keep going on my foreign license.

Thanks!!

I can't tell you the actual answer, but it will definitely depend on which state you are in. You should be able to find out the answer from your state's DMV/DOT website.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Sorry for the confusion, I do realize there are no “US licenses”.

I used to live in Hawaii but live in California now.

Any ideas on how Cali is with foreign licenses?

04/13/2008 - Officially became a couple

11/26/2012 - Married

12/27/2012 - Sent in AOS Package

01/04/2013 - Received NOA

02/06/2013 - Biometrics appointment

02/19/2013 - Received interview date

03/02/2013 - Online notice of Approved EAD

03/08/2013 - Received EAD card in mail

03/26/2013 - INTERVIEW (rescheduled)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Sorry for the confusion, I do realize there are no "US licenses".

go to the DMV site for Cali, they will have the info there.

Hi,

I've been in the Stated for 5 years now. 4 years in college and 1 year on OPT.

I have not owned a car since I've been here but had a moped in college. When I bought the moped, the salesman said all he needed was my Swedish drivers license and it has also been enough when I got stopped by a cop once because my back light was out.

Now, I know that I should have gotten a US license by now but always thought I didn't have to until I was a resident (or I bought a car) and until then I could use my Swedish license (which is still valid) :blush:

Thanks!!

The key is the term "resident" as it is used by each state. For example here in Colorado you are not a resident unless you claim one of several benefits or have a physical presence of 90 days. Then you have 30 days to get a Colorado DL. So a max of 4 months to use the old license--that applies to any state DL as well as your Swedish license. Check the CA DMV and see if they allow the EAD to get a DL. If not, then you will have to wait for the GC. In the mean time, I think you are running the risk of a ticket of operating a vehicle without a proper license.

Dave

If you have your EAD and a social security number, go and get a California driver's license already. It's easy, and you are required to do it once you've lived in the state for some short period - 10 or 30 days, I think.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Filed: Timeline

People visiting can use their out-of-state or out-of-country licenses for as long as they want.

However, "residents" must get a California license within 10 days of becoming a resident.

But exactly how "resident" is defined is kind of murky. I think it's a common sense thing based on whether you're considered to be "living here". I don't think it has anything to do with your immigration status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

People visiting can use their out-of-state or out-of-country licenses for as long as they want.

However, "residents" must get a California license within 10 days of becoming a resident.

But exactly how "resident" is defined is kind of murky. I think it's a common sense thing based on whether you're considered to be "living here". I don't think it has anything to do with your immigration status.

I agree with you, I read plenty of times the NYS booklet to try to understand the meaning of resident.

There are also the intent to stay, if for example you have a K1, just married, so you have the intent to stay in NYS. So you need a valid NYS licence (around 30 days after your entrance in usa).

There is no link between being a resident for usics and being a resident for DMV, and to add to the mess each state has its own requirement.

Edited by MIDUVIL

Filed: Other Timeline

Short answer: after 5 years in the Land of the Brave and Free, you absolutely need a California Driver License when operating a motor vehicle, even if you are blond and good looking.

If you just arrived fresh off the boat, you could drive with your Swedish one 'til you become a resident. However, California spells out "until you become a resident up to a maximum time of 1 year." Since you are in the U.S. for several years now, they definitely write you a ticket that will make your head spin like a UFO that has been shot.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

Sorry for the confusion, I do realize there are no “US licenses”.

So this is an interesting thing here in California. There's a written law, but the funny thing is, if they find out that you've lived here longer than a month they won't accept your Swedish driver's license and you can get in trouble for driving "without the license". I can't remember the exact number of days you can cruise around with your European license, but I had a friend who was here for a year, and in her 2nd month of stay she got stopped by a cop and got penalized for driving "without a license" since they did not accept her European DL. So, if I were you I would just apply for a DL as soon as you can. You need social security card (I think) and show legal status in the US. Good luck!

Short answer: after 5 years in the Land of the Brave and Free, you absolutely need a California Driver License when operating a motor vehicle, even if you are blond and good looking.

If you just arrived fresh off the boat, you could drive with your Swedish one 'til you become a resident. However, California spells out "until you become a resident up to a maximum time of 1 year." Since you are in the U.S. for several years now, they definitely write you a ticket that will make your head spin like a UFO that has been shot.

LOL :D I like your analogy! I even visualized it...LOL :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

Now, I know that I should have gotten a US license by now but always thought I didn't have to until I was a resident (or I bought a car) and until then I could use my Swedish license (which is still valid) :blush:

Thanks!!

I'm in Cali also and according to the California DMV you should have gotten a license within ten days of residing in the state.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500

Also how did you get insurance? In the state of California they will not insure you if you don't have a state license or are you driving uninsured?

I was able to get insurance before I had a CA license. It was a bit expensive though.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was able to get insurance before I had a CA license. It was a bit expensive though.

Weird when I got here I tried to go on my husband insurance and then looked around because no place would insure me without an American licence from some state and most wanted me to get a California one. Did you have a licence from another state?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.