SAT

Our Own.....Bizarre Foods...Thread !

352 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Well, I haven't personally eaten too many strange things, and compared to southeast Asia it's probably not too strange... but here it goes.

1. This thing called "guatita" which I believe is either sheep or cow stomach. They always make it with peanut sauce, and I actually really like the taste, but the chewy texture just kills it for me. Hubby is a BIG fan of it, though.

recetaguatitaii.jpg

2. Guinea pigs are a big thing in the capital (I live on the coast, where people luckily don't eat it). I just don't think I could do it after having childhood pets! Their little squeaky noises are just too cute. I do have friends that have eaten it, though, and my husband's grandfather used to have a guinea pig farm where he'd raise them for restaurants. Apparently if you go to eat them, you get to personally pick out which one you want from the corral. :blink:

cui05.jpg

3. These big fat worms called "gualpa". They live in coconut trees. Apparently they taste like coconut milk, but I'll have to take the hubby's word for it, since I've never tried them. They usually stick them on a stick and grill them. I would actually give it a try if given the chance, but I've never happened upon them. Guess they're more of a specialty dish.

gualpa%20o%20mayon.jpg

4. Assorted organ meats and body parts which are probably quite normal for most, but too squishy for me: liver, pig ears, hooves, tongues, etc. There is also a whole different category of soups that have organs, the most popular of which is probably "menudencia"; it's a normal chicken soup but they throw in hearts, feet, etc, so you never quite know what your next spoonful will hold. I actually like this soup... if I happen upon any little hearts or anything I just give them to my husband. :P

thumb_600.jpg?1295202344

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Um...partiv...that's pretty bizarre. But please, foods that YOU have eaten......not your hubby, not his cousin's grandma.......

So the grubs and the guinea pigs don't count !

Timeline

Um...partiv...that's pretty bizarre. But please, foods that YOU have eaten......not your hubby, not his cousin's grandma.......

So the grubs and the guinea pigs don't count !

Damn. :bonk: They're the weirdest out of the group! Does willingness to try them count? :P

OH, I forgot one!

Octopus and conch! Conch is very grainy and slimey, so I didn't care for it too much, but octopus was okay! The suckers sometimes get stuck to the inside of your cheeks, which is a bit creepy, and it's a little chewy, but the taste is good!

30816.jpg

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

Latest Dates

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

Timeline

Damn. :bonk: They're the weirdest out of the group! Does willingness to try them count? :P

OH, I forgot one!

Octopus and conch! Conch is very grainy and slimey, so I didn't care for it too much, but octopus was okay! The suckers sometimes get stuck to the inside of your cheeks, which is a bit creepy, and it's a little chewy, but the taste is good!

30816.jpg

That's pretty good. I think most sea-going cultures have these in their diets.

OK, we'll let you count the groundhog and grubs.....only because your hubby ate it.

Timeline

That's pretty good. I think most sea-going cultures have these in their diets.

OK, we'll let you count the groundhog and grubs.....only because your hubby ate it.

:dance:

Your turn. Spill the weird food stories. If your wife is from Malaysia, I KNOW you've tried some good bizarre foods!

Latest Dates

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

Timeline

:dance:

Your turn. Spill the weird food stories. If your wife is from Malaysia, I KNOW you've tried some good bizarre foods!

Now that would be true if I ever was in Malaysia......

But I am pretty well traveled. And I will get some pics, or google it. and post them.

But right now, I am getting ready to drive half way across NYC to go see my friend's baby in the furthest hospital from me (well, almost). If you ever been to NYC, it takes on a sunday afternoon, about 1 hr to travel 12 miles. (this should be on the rant thread).

Edited by SteveAndTiff

Timeline

Now that would be true if I ever was in Malaysia......

But I am pretty well traveled. And I will get some pics, or google it. and post them.

But right now, I am getting ready to drive half way across NYC to go see my friend's baby in the furthest hospital from me (well, almost). If you ever been to NYC, it takes on a sunday afternoon, about 1 hr to travel 12 miles. (this should be on the rant thread).

Is this the friend that sends twelve texts at a time? I've never been to NYC but have heard that the traffic is legendary. Lots of luck on that hellish journey. :thumbs:

Latest Dates

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

Timeline

Is this the friend that sends twelve texts at a time? I've never been to NYC but have heard that the traffic is legendary. Lots of luck on that hellish journey. :thumbs:

yes thats her. Machine gun mary. gave birth last night. 10 lbs 3 oz. she gave birth to a 2 year old...

Timeline

yes thats her. Machine gun mary. gave birth last night. 10 lbs 3 oz. she gave birth to a 2 year old...

:rofl:

Latest Dates

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

Timeline

OK I'm back. For starters, when I was a young Marine in the Philippines, I tried a balut (a fermented duck egg with a late stage fetus in it). and I've gotta say.........it was pretty good. For pics, please refer to my "The World's Most Interesting Man" thread........actually, here...........

balut.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

In Nigeria any wild meat is called bush meat. One of the common forms is the cane rat. Because they frequently serve it with head/feet/tail attached it can be a bit hard to get past ( although in meat pie it is ok )

bm-ghana.jpg

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Grilled locusts

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12