Jump to content

US dual citizen -how long can he visit overseas


5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline


I am reading all the lovely comments and posts here. I am so happy to have found this community which I can relate to.

My fiancé is American - we have been engaged since May of 2012.

He is coming to Ireland for a few months to work.

Can anyone confirm for me, whether my fiancé, should he overstay the 90 day limit, will get into troubles with the American authorities? My fiancé also holds a valid British passport. Currently, there is free travel of Irish and British people between England and Ireland, (one of the conditions agreed to when peace was signed between the two nations). Therefore, my fiancé is allowed to stay in Ireland for as long as he wants on his British passport, however, we are worried, that he could be run into trouble if the American authorities see that he has been away for over 90 days.

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Many thanks in advance!



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

US citizens who hold citizenship in other countries can receive the benefits of their other citizenship while in foreign countries, if those benefits are better or safer than the ones accorded to Americans. He needs to enter that country using that passport. He needs to use his US passport to return to the US, however, so he will need to have both passports with him. The US does not technically 'recognize' their citizens as having citizenship in other countries, however, that is not up to the US to decide - that is the right of the foreign country to decide if they will accept the individual as their citizen or not.

No, your fiance will not run into any problems in the US if he stays outside of the US for more than 90 days. He is allowed to remain outside of the US for however long he likes. The 90 days limitation is one put in place on foreign citizens by Ireland, not by the US. The US is only concerned with US rules and regulations. Irish authorities would be 'interested' if your US fiancee was only a US citizen and he would incur an overstay if he remained beyond the 90 days. Since he is a dual citizen with Britain, however, he can claim the rights and benefits allowed to British subjects while he is in Ireland, which means he should have no problems with remaining in Ireland for as long as his British citizenship allows.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia

No. He could leave the US for life and it wouldn't matter, except he would need to file taxes on his worldwide income (like all other USC's).

I am British and Australian and hopefully this year American. None of my passports dictate how long I'm allowed "out" of the country, only the country I'm in dictates how long I'm allowed to stay in that country. I could move to the UK and Australia wouldn't care. I was born in Australia so obviously the UK doesn't care that I lived there all my life (save a few weeks visiting the UK). I could also (if I get US citizenship) move back to Australia. It hone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia

Literally, thousands of young American boys went up to Canada to avoid the draft during the Viet Nam war, it was up to the Canadians to kick them out, they never did. Only other way to avoid the draft was to knock up your girlfriend in high school or have an old man rich enough to send you to Harvard where you could get drunk every night and join that skull club. When that terrible war ended, US government gave these kids amnesty so they could come back home.

Canada is not like this anymore.

Wife was born in Colombia, but moved to Venezuela as a teenager and became naturalized there. For whatever reason, she could travel freely back home to see her family with her Venezuelan passport with her Colombian place of birth listed in it. With her new US passport, same place of birth, they would no longer permit her to enter. Only way she could travel back to see her mom was to renew her Colombian citizenship, only way for her to get a Colombian passport thanks to our DOS.

As an LPR, her stays were limited to meet the residency requirements, that is history now that she has become naturalized in the USA. But she can stay in Venezuela or Colombia as long as she wants. I am the one with problems as a natural born US citizen. Technically, limited to 90 days, but know of other Americans that are staying there as long as they want as long as they are independently wealthy. Just can't get a legal job or health care benefits. But sure I could get that citizenship just by handing a few bucks under the table. Can do anything you want to do in those countries with a few bucks under the table.

Just saying not up to the USA to make that decision as to how long I can stay, up to those countries to decide that. Ha, after paying our huge property and income tax bill, asked my wife if we should move down there, she said, no thanks. At least we don't have to live in a cage, yet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...