shahry

Can the wife take the husband's first name as her last name?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi,

My fiance has arrived in the US on a K1 visa and we have been officially married in the US. Can she only take my last name as her last name after marriage or is it allowed for her to take my first name as her last name? Any references or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

In the United State when you marry you can pretty much change your name to whatever you want. Its a legal name change for the husband and wife if needed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi,

My fiance has arrived in the US on a K1 visa and we have been officially married in the US. Can she only take my last name as her last name after marriage or is it allowed for her to take my first name as her last name? Any references or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Your best bet is to call and check with the county clerk's office where you got your marriage license. Different states have different laws about changing your name after marriage.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline

Thanks, dstrausser83 and Jay-Kay. I called the local county clerk's office and they said that for anything other than the typical last name swap I would need a court order.

I went to the social security office, and they told me the same thing - that I'd have to get my name changed by the court. However, I went back again to social security office and was helped by a different person. They let me get my husband's first last name only.

09/28/10: I-129F packet sent Fed-Ex to Dallas Lockbox

10/01/10: I-129F packet received in Vermont

10/06/10: NOA1

10/07/10: Check cashed

10/13/10: Touched

03/25/11: NOA2

04/06/11: Packet left NVC

04/20/11: Papers from embassy

05/09/11: Turned in papers, received interview date, medical

05/31/11: Interview: Request court document

06/06/11: Brought requested paper, ANOTHER court document requested

06/13/11: Brought requested paper, embassy called to schedule appointment

06/16/11: Denied, but told he's eligible for a waiver

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I also got different replies depending which person was at the desk - social security changed my name to just his paternal last name, no questions asked. DMV wouldn't do it the first time I went, then did it the second time I went. I just filled out the paperwork with the name I wanted to take. If they put it through, then good. If not, I was prepared to go for the court order later.

M

event.png

event.png

NOA1 2/5/13 for AOS from K1

Biometrics 3/1/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I went to the social security office, and they told me the same thing - that I'd have to get my name changed by the court. However, I went back again to social security office and was helped by a different person. They let me get my husband's first last name only.

I also got different replies depending which person was at the desk - social security changed my name to just his paternal last name, no questions asked. DMV wouldn't do it the first time I went, then did it the second time I went. I just filled out the paperwork with the name I wanted to take. If they put it through, then good. If not, I was prepared to go for the court order later.

M

The OP in this instance was wanting his wife to take his first name as her last name, and not simply use only one of two last names.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

The OP in this instance was wanting his wife to take his first name as her last name, and not simply use only one of two last names.

I saw that - I'd use the same strategy - fill out the form with the name you want and see if it goes through. Also wondered whether that was actually the way he meant to say it. Either way though, it doesn't hurt to try. :)

M

event.png

event.png

Biometrics 3/1/13

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Thanks!

As far as the USCIS, they generally honor the custom of the wife's home country as far as the name change. That will make amending or renewing her passport easier. When she files for Naturalization, she will have the opportunity to change her name to whatever she wants.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi,

Thanks!

No, like totally no.

Mike Smith marries Jane Doe.

Mike Smith can become Mike Doe, Mike Smith-Doe, Mike Smith Doe (no hyphen), or stay Mike Smith.

Jane Doe can become Jane Smith, Jane Doe-Smith, Jane Doe Smith, or stay Jane Doe.

That's it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your input. Sounds like there is no certain answer.

Brother Hesekiel, you sound like you might have the actual specifics. Can you point me to any links or references to confirm this? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

No, like totally no.

Mike Smith marries Jane Doe.

Mike Smith can become Mike Doe, Mike Smith-Doe, Mike Smith Doe (no hyphen), or stay Mike Smith.

Jane Doe can become Jane Smith, Jane Doe-Smith, Jane Doe Smith, or stay Jane Doe.

That's it.

Not according to New Jersey. They say if Carlos Vargas Aquino comes here on a K1 visa with a Mexican passport that says Carlos in the first name spot, Vargas in the "primer apellido" spot and Aquino in the "segundo apellido" spot, then his name must appear on his marriage certificate as Carlos Vargas Aquino. When his new wife, 4th generation US Citizen Mary Ellen Smith takes that marriage certificate to New Jersey DMV to change her name, DMV will only permit her to change it to Mary Ellen Vargas Aquino, with two last names. Because that's what's on the marriage certificate for Carlos. And the marriage certificate has to match the passport, per the state's rules for town registrars, so it can't be changed. So the US Citizen is forced to use a two word, unhyphenated last name even though that is non-standard here in the US. That's how it's done in Jersey.

I speak from direct, personal experience 2 months ago.

It's ridiculous, considering if they then get divorced, they both *can* choose any name they want. There's a statute for that. But not for married names.

(eyeroll)

M

event.png

event.png

Biometrics 3/1/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.