Bckapp

Assistance?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is the beginning of my journey into the visa process.. I am going to apply for the K-1 visa, and i have been reading and hearing that there must be no misakes... I am either going to attempt to file myself, and learn as much as i can so things go fairly smoothly, or , so there will be no mistakes, have some help. Maybe Cherry Blossoms visa assistance? Any advice would be appreciated.. ;) Thanks, Brian

Whether or not to seek outside assistance is really a choice you will have to make. It can seem like a daunting process at first, however, my experience has been that if you are thorough, are good at doing research and have time to do that research, and have a straight-forward case, then with the help of VJ, you should not have to hire a lawyer or any other such entity. VJ should be all the 'outside help' you need.

Now all of this rests on your own peace of mind and your own comfort level.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's really up to you, but I advise you to read this forum's guides and threads to see that you can actually do it on your own, if you have all the requirements and not a unique or complicated case. Good luck!

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We were worried at where to start and is required ... Once we found VJ and read all the guides here we decided that we could do this on our own ... I just received my green card and we did all of the paperwork from the begining so it isn't really difficult ... When you run into problems the people on VJ are always eager to help out ... But some people might not feel comfortable with the paperwork and the process ...

The best advice that I can give you is if you choose to use a lawyer that you make sure that you pick one that is very experienced in the type of Visa you are applying for ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

When I first found my way here nearly two years ago I was planning to use an attorney but wanted to learn as much as I could about the process and what I would be facing. The more I read the more I realized that doing it yourself is the faster and easier way. I will add, as Luis said, as long as your case is pretty straighforward.

I have heard some real horror stories about using an attorney. There are some good ones and there are some bad ones and an advertisement that someone has a 100% success rate is not an assurance they are a good one. In fact if someone advertises that they have a 100% success rate and will get your visa faster than doing it on your own, I would look at that as a red flag. There is nothing they can do that will speed up the process and it is false advertising.

Using an attorney you have an extra link in the chain. Insted of the paper work going right in you have it going back and forth between you and your attorney and it sitting on his desk until he gets to it. You have an extra set of eyes and fingers that can make mistakes. You have the correspondence going to him and not to you so you have less of an idea of what is going on if he does not forward things to you.

I had a friend who used an attorney and the attorney mailed his K-1 in the exact same day I mailed mine both to the same center. I gained a month on him in the process.

If you have complications then it is another story.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

I did choose a lawyer, for the initial filing/processing of the K-1 and for explaining all the steps/implications/timelines and the entire overview. The lawyer was very helpful, and I feel as though he gave me my money's worth (he wasn't too expensive).

I didn't know of VJ at the time, and I was working and traveling a lot at the time also. So, my situation was that I wanted to keep the stress of the entire situation down by having some 'expertise' on my side. I got that from my lawyer and it did reduce the stress for both of us. We had no RFEs, and the process (so far) has been perfectly in line with his explanation of how things proceed.

After I found VJ a few months ago, I don't think I will need any more lawyer assistance, through the interview process and then on to Advanced Parole/AOS/GC etc. The people on here have a great wealth of knowledge, and I've learned from their experiences. However, the initial 'push' in the right direction that our lawyer gave us was invaluable.

Peace,

Mark -n- AAm

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My fiance and I were going to hire a lawyer to file our K1 when we first looked at it. It looked liked a headache, and we were really scared of messing up. But when we thought about the lawyer fees, we figured we could do it ourselves. With the help of this website, it was not hard at all! Just make sure you double check everything at least 3 times!! If you have any questions, just post a thread, or message me and maybe I can help.

Best of luck!

Jackie

Edited by Kinsey

Met online February 2006

Went to England on working visa June 2006

Sent off I-129F October 2006 <3 <3 <3

In England until visa expired December 2006

We leave England for a stateside Christmas December 17, 2006

Karl goes back to the UK January 7, 2007

I make a scene at the airport January 7, 2007

I head back to the UK to wait it out with him February 9, 2007

K-1 Journey

10-20-2006 Mailed I-129F

10-31-2006 NOA1

01-29-2007 NOA2 via e-mail!! Woo Hoo

01-30-2007 Touch

02-02-2007 NOA2 via snail mail

02-06-2007 NVC received case

02-07-2007 NVC fowarded case on to London

02-16-2007 Packet 3 received

02-19-2007 Packet 3 mailed out

02-21-2007 Packet 3 received at Embassy

03-01-2007 Packet 4 received

03-02-2007 Karl's medical

03-30-2007 Interview - Approved!!

05-01-2007 - Flying home to Chicago

My posts are purely opinion and should not be taken as legal advice... obviously :)

Filed: Timeline

I have always been of the opinion that if you prepare and file your own taxes, you can handle any of the normal immigration paperwork. Now if there is something out of the ordinary involved, i.e. past visa overstay, criminal record, etc. you might want to at least speak to a lawyer to see where you stand.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is the beginning of my journey into the visa process.. I am going to apply for the K-1 visa, and i have been reading and hearing that there must be no misakes... I am either going to attempt to file myself, and learn as much as i can so things go fairly smoothly, or , so there will be no mistakes, have some help. Maybe Cherry Blossoms visa assistance? Any advice would be appreciated.. ;) Thanks, Brian

[/quot

based on my experience, we prepare and submit everything without the help of anybody. all the things u need can be found here in VJ. u just have to read and understand, just like in our case. we followed instructions for K1 by reading this site and were happy that we are almost getting there, we mailed I-129F last june, and for now its only 2 more agony to go and were done, hopefully we will make it. good luck...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
My fiance and I were going to hire a lawyer to file our K1 when we first looked at it. It looked liked a headache, and we were really scared of messing up. But when we thought about the lawyer fees, we figured we could do it ourselves. With the help of this website, it was not hard at all! Just make sure you double check everything at least 3 times!! If you have any questions, just post a thread, or message me and maybe I can help.

Best of luck!

Jackie

:no: Never good advice. It is best any questions be posted on the forums in case of misinformation.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Best of luck!

Jackie

:no: Never good advice. It is best any questions be posted on the forums in case of misinformation.

Yup, cos we can ALL be wrong at times or misinformed. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Let me clarify for those who misread. Message me if you need to know where you can find information that might help you with your filing. I.E. resources that can help you; not my personal help in filling your case.

I thought my intentions were clear. Sorry

Best of luck!

Jackie

Edited by Kinsey

Met online February 2006

Went to England on working visa June 2006

Sent off I-129F October 2006 <3 <3 <3

In England until visa expired December 2006

We leave England for a stateside Christmas December 17, 2006

Karl goes back to the UK January 7, 2007

I make a scene at the airport January 7, 2007

I head back to the UK to wait it out with him February 9, 2007

K-1 Journey

10-20-2006 Mailed I-129F

10-31-2006 NOA1

01-29-2007 NOA2 via e-mail!! Woo Hoo

01-30-2007 Touch

02-02-2007 NOA2 via snail mail

02-06-2007 NVC received case

02-07-2007 NVC fowarded case on to London

02-16-2007 Packet 3 received

02-19-2007 Packet 3 mailed out

02-21-2007 Packet 3 received at Embassy

03-01-2007 Packet 4 received

03-02-2007 Karl's medical

03-30-2007 Interview - Approved!!

05-01-2007 - Flying home to Chicago

My posts are purely opinion and should not be taken as legal advice... obviously :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.