YayaYiyi

Tragic Story

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just want to share this story so that anyone who may also be impacted by the scenario can be wiser. It relates to my fiancee who is currently working at Abha Private Hospital in Abha Saudi Arabia. I know a lot of fils work in Saudi Arabia, so this is why I share on this forum.

My fiancee has worked in two hospitals in Arabia, one in UAE and another in some other place in Saudi. In February of 2012, she began working a 2-year contract at Abha Private Hospital. We met online through Match.com not too long after she began working there. We communicate through Skype everyday for at least an hour.

My fiancee and I fit perfectly in regards to our goals in life. Our primary goal is to have children. I am 41 and she is 35 and neither of us have had children. I was in a bad marriage with a woman that didn't want kids and now that I am looking again that was a main goal to look for in a next wife. She is also very nice and just a good person. So, I proposed to her.

From the beginning of her working at Abha, things with the management were obviously different than any other hospital she had worked. The management there were always holding people past their contract. Extension after extension, excuse after excuse...one man missed his wedding day in phils, another missed a funeral...the list is long and sad...on top of this, they assessed fines on those wishing to leave early. Things were so bad and there were so many complaints, that the hiring agency was suppossedly banned in the Phils to hire anyone for this hospital. This could be not true, but the fact is that many, many people were made to suffer.

Enter our situation....She decided to wait until Feb. of this month to leave. 3 months ago, she put in paperwork to be released this February. She got a lawyer friend of her draw up some paper work saying that she was needed in the phils to attend to an estate issue. She wanted a legit reason to apply for a leave and she didn't want to say she was engaged to an American because she feared the consequences. So, she puts in this paperwork and every 2 weeks she followed with a letter attesting to her situation.

So, a few weeks ago, she is putting pressure on them to leave and suppossedly the paperwork was cleared. She got a confirmation number for a plane ticket. Then, not long after receiving this confirmation, like the next day, she got a text message saying the plane ticket was canceled. So, she goes to department after department to figure out what is wrong. She finally talked to the director of HR there and he finally signed her release. This put it into motion. Numerous people have to sign the release in order for her to get her passport and have the ability to leave the country. Time goes by, and still no finalization of her paperwork. Finally, yesterday, she is told by someone that she needs to wait for her replacement which is a common thing they do to people to hold them. Considering she has trained another to do her job and there is more than enough staff in her department, she knew this was bs.

So, finally, today, she goes to the owner of the hospital with her department manager. Sheikh Abdulla Al Thumairi is the owner. The owner said that she has to pay 10,000 SR or $2500 USD which is more than 1/4 of her salary there after taxes. Considering this man is the law in this region, there is nothing she can do but to pay this amount. She has the money to pay it, but she was hoping to save it for a review to pass her medical exams for the US.

The Sheik is a very wealthy man. He has businesses all over the world. He has like 4 wives living in different mansions. Typical Arab rich man. But, he stuck my fiancee for this huge amount of money.

This is common, fining to leave early, but her colleagues said that they have never seen a fine so large, even with people that are leaving earlier in their contract than my fiancee.

My fiancee has a contract and no where in her contract does it say anything about a fine if you leave unless you leave in the 1st 3 months. But, considering this is not a country of fair laws, there is nothing that stops them from abusing people.

So, my point of writing this is to warn anyone with family members in the Phils...DO NOT ACCEPT work at Abha Private Hospital in Saudi Arabia. The owner is the one who fined my fiancee which means all the other persons horror stories are a result of this man's policy. In other words, if a company hiring for this hospital states that previous complaints were a result of bad management that was replaced...ie...things are better now...that will be a bunch of tae since it is the owner himself who is setting this policy. If I can save 1 person from making a decision not to go to this place, then I will feel glad.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

yaya thanks for sharing. The word "enslavement" comes to mind when I visit the mid-east region. It's difficult to get the locals to honor their contracts (and their spoken word is supposed to be their honor).

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just want to share this story so that anyone who may also be impacted by the scenario can be wiser. It relates to my fiancee who is currently working at Abha Private Hospital in Abha Saudi Arabia. I know a lot of fils work in Saudi Arabia, so this is why I share on this forum.

My fiancee has worked in two hospitals in Arabia, one in UAE and another in some other place in Saudi. In February of 2012, she began working a 2-year contract at Abha Private Hospital. We met online through Match.com not too long after she began working there. We communicate through Skype everyday for at least an hour.

My fiancee and I fit perfectly in regards to our goals in life. Our primary goal is to have children. I am 41 and she is 35 and neither of us have had children. I was in a bad marriage with a woman that didn't want kids and now that I am looking again that was a main goal to look for in a next wife. She is also very nice and just a good person. So, I proposed to her.

From the beginning of her working at Abha, things with the management were obviously different than any other hospital she had worked. The management there were always holding people past their contract. Extension after extension, excuse after excuse...one man missed his wedding day in phils, another missed a funeral...the list is long and sad...on top of this, they assessed fines on those wishing to leave early. Things were so bad and there were so many complaints, that the hiring agency was suppossedly banned in the Phils to hire anyone for this hospital. This could be not true, but the fact is that many, many people were made to suffer.

Enter our situation....She decided to wait until Feb. of this month to leave. 3 months ago, she put in paperwork to be released this February. She got a lawyer friend of her draw up some paper work saying that she was needed in the phils to attend to an estate issue. She wanted a legit reason to apply for a leave and she didn't want to say she was engaged to an American because she feared the consequences. So, she puts in this paperwork and every 2 weeks she followed with a letter attesting to her situation.

So, a few weeks ago, she is putting pressure on them to leave and suppossedly the paperwork was cleared. She got a confirmation number for a plane ticket. Then, not long after receiving this confirmation, like the next day, she got a text message saying the plane ticket was canceled. So, she goes to department after department to figure out what is wrong. She finally talked to the director of HR there and he finally signed her release. This put it into motion. Numerous people have to sign the release in order for her to get her passport and have the ability to leave the country. Time goes by, and still no finalization of her paperwork. Finally, yesterday, she is told by someone that she needs to wait for her replacement which is a common thing they do to people to hold them. Considering she has trained another to do her job and there is more than enough staff in her department, she knew this was bs.

So, finally, today, she goes to the owner of the hospital with her department manager. Sheikh Abdulla Al Thumairi is the owner. The owner said that she has to pay 10,000 SR or $2500 USD which is more than 1/4 of her salary there after taxes. Considering this man is the law in this region, there is nothing she can do but to pay this amount. She has the money to pay it, but she was hoping to save it for a review to pass her medical exams for the US.

The Sheik is a very wealthy man. He has businesses all over the world. He has like 4 wives living in different mansions. Typical Arab rich man. But, he stuck my fiancee for this huge amount of money.

This is common, fining to leave early, but her colleagues said that they have never seen a fine so large, even with people that are leaving earlier in their contract than my fiancee.

My fiancee has a contract and no where in her contract does it say anything about a fine if you leave unless you leave in the 1st 3 months. But, considering this is not a country of fair laws, there is nothing that stops them from abusing people.

So, my point of writing this is to warn anyone with family members in the Phils...DO NOT ACCEPT work at Abha Private Hospital in Saudi Arabia. The owner is the one who fined my fiancee which means all the other persons horror stories are a result of this man's policy. In other words, if a company hiring for this hospital states that previous complaints were a result of bad management that was replaced...ie...things are better now...that will be a bunch of tae since it is the owner himself who is setting this policy. If I can save 1 person from making a decision not to go to this place, then I will feel glad.

It sounds to me like she has a legal contract for a set amount of time. She wants out of the contract so she has the lawyer friend lie in writing the letter about the " estate " problem to cause them to release her early. They have seen this type of thing so much they wont allow it unless the person pays the fine.

I think the warning should show people that if they sign a contract they need to understand they will need to honor that contract.

My husband worked in the Kingdom for two years. His original contract was for 18 months but he extended it for 6 months. When that time period was over he was given the cash bonus promised when he left with no problems. Later he was paid his Saudi social security money; also with no problem.

The laws in the Kingdom basicly follow the teachings of the Koran. Saudia Arabia has labor laws that are stricter then those of the USA according to my husband who witnessed a few situations where they were applied in conflicts with the employer. In each case the worker prevailed.

The problem is more likely centered in the P I with the hiring agency that made all the promises. As in Thailand they will do anything to get someone to take the job. Lying is considered part of the normal procedure.

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

It sounds to me like she has a legal contract for a set amount of time. She wants out of the contract so she has the lawyer friend lie in writing the letter about the " estate " problem to cause them to release her early. They have seen this type of thing so much they wont allow it unless the person pays the fine.

I think the warning should show people that if they sign a contract they need to understand they will need to honor that contract.

My husband worked in the Kingdom for two years. His original contract was for 18 months but he extended it for 6 months. When that time period was over he was given the cash bonus promised when he left with no problems. Later he was paid his Saudi social security money; also with no problem.

The laws in the Kingdom basicly follow the teachings of the Koran. Saudia Arabia has labor laws that are stricter then those of the USA according to my husband who witnessed a few situations where they were applied in conflicts with the employer. In each case the worker prevailed.

The problem is more likely centered in the P I with the hiring agency that made all the promises. As in Thailand they will do anything to get someone to take the job. Lying is considered part of the normal procedure.

Oh well i can feel urs n ur fiance pain. Daudia and their stupid laws do not protect the rughts of expatsthis is called monarchy my friend

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

... don't get me started as I would get banded for sure.:ph34r:

Same here, and I'm thin ice...

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Oh well i can feel urs n ur fiance pain. Daudia and their stupid laws do not protect the rughts of expatsthis is called monarchy my friend

What do you think the rights of any expat are in Saudi? As in any country we vist we have to comply with the laws of that country. Do expats follow different laws while in Pakistan for example?

Timeline

I will tread litely.. I have not worked in Saudi, but I have worked and stayed in all of the Emirates, Qutar. I had quite a few co-workers who i'm close to, working in Saudi and flying back and forth to the Phils as thats where they lived on their days off. This is both American's and filipino's.. We worked for an American company so we didn't personally have to put ip with the bs, but we all witnessed it on a daily basis. The stories are horrifying and I have never witnessed such abuses and disregargs of humanity anywhere else.

I understand the great opportunities that they project for the filipinos, but they do what they want and go against there word as soon as you arrive. I do know of people that have done ok, but that those have been primarily in Dubai..

Sorry to hear about your fiancees issues. I would pay the amount and never go back. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

NO RFE'S

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

Timeline

So you saw the warning sign.... :lol:

ample.deviantart.com%2Fart%2FWalking-On-Thin-Ice-15883318&ei=b1gFUaayMcSRygGYmIDgAg&bvm=bv.41524429,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNHHweGMWWlJC1dRgW9WlVFXIPtK0g&ust=1359391216129928'>

Walking_On_Thin_Ice_by_X_ample.jpg

It was too late.... Good ice up here now in the Northwoods so I should be all good... Lol

NO RFE'S

Timeline

in regards to the contract, yea, her contract stated that if she leaves in 3 months, then she is liable for her plane ticket. That is what her contract says. This is the ONLY stipulation in the contract regarding fines. Not too long ago, a Muslim woman from another country left after only being there for a much shorter time than 1 year and her fine was 1/2 this amount. Even non-Muslims have not had fines like this one. This issue goes beyond people wanting to leave early. There are numerous cases of people having completed their contract, yet are still prolonged for as long as 6 months at a time before they are finally released. My fiancee said that other places she has worked never had so many problems as this hospital. This is reason I feel it is important to try to warn people.

Personally, I don't care about the money. I keep telling her that she can make 8x her fine simply working at McDonald's in the US for a short period of time. So, to me, it is laughable that these people think they can dictate her life for a few thousand dollars. That is their rationale, they think they impose such a heavy fine, then people will be forced to stay. This reminds me of the American mafia and 'offers you can't refuse.'

The only reason I wrote what I wrote is to warn people who may not have the fortune of being able to go to a place like the States. My fiancee is fortunate, many others are not. Since other places my fiancee has worked did not do such things, I find it important that this hospital should be known by any fils person wanting to work in Arabia.

I do want to state that I am not prejudice against Arab people and I respect Islam. In fact, I find Muslims to be one of the most devout persons in the world and am still impressed with taking time out 5x a day to pray to God. To me, this issue is not about religion, it is a very very secular issue. Greed.

Please contact Migrante: http://migranteinternational.org/ They have often helped in this type of situation. Good luck.

Met in Ormoc, Leyte, Philippines: 2007-05-17
Our son was born in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-04-01
Married in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-10-24
CR-1 Visa - California Service Center; Consulate - Manila, Philippines
I-130 mailed: 2010-04-13
I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-24
I-130 NOA2: 2010-09-30
NVC received case: 2010-10-14
Case Complete: 2010-12-01
Interview scheduled: 2010-12-06
Medical, St. Luke's, Manila: 2010-12-09 and 2010-12-10
Interview at US Embassy in Manila 8:30 AM: 2011-01-05 - Approved!
Visa delivered: 2011-01-08
CFO Seminar completed: 2011-01-10
My beloved wife Sol and my beautiful son Nathan arrive in the U.S. (POE San Francisco): 2011-01-26
Lifting Conditions - Vermont Service Center
Date mailed: 2012-11-01
Receipt date: 2012-11-05
NOA received: 2012-11-09
Biometrics letter received: 2012-11-16
Biometrics appointment date: 2012-12-10
Biometrics walk-in successful: 2012-11-20
Removal of Conditions approved date: 2013-04-27
10 year green card mailed: 2013-05-03
10 year green card received: 2013-05-06
Citizenship
N400 mailed: 2013-10-28
N400 delivered: 2013-10-31
NOA1: 2013-11-04
Biometrics: 2013-11-18
In Line: 2013-12-26
Interview scheduled: 2013-12-30
Interview: 2014-02-03

Oath ceremony queue: 2014-02-07

Oath ceremony: 2014-03-28 Sol is a U.S. citizen

Applied for expedited passport: 2014-04-01

Passport received, Priority Express: 2014-04-09 This is journey's end at last!

Naturalization certificate returned, Priority Mail: 2014-04-12

Passport card received, First Class: 2014-04-14

1457 days, I-130 mailed to passport in hand

Timeline

It was too late.... Good ice up here now in the Northwoods so I should be all good... Lol

Ya my sister and her hubby are up on Gull this weekend doing some fishing plus I think there is some car racing on a lake over by the Treasure Chest . They are in the midst of building a house just outside of Cross Lake.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Ya my sister and her hubby are up on Gull this weekend doing some fishing plus I think there is some car racing on a lake over by the Treasure Chest . They are in the midst of building a house just outside of Cross Lake.

With all due respect, what are you two posting about?

I have several friends and relatives working in the Middle East. Jena has 2 brothers working in Dubai and this topic is of interest to us. I wish we didn't have to wade through the extra stuff. Sorry, that's the best way I can put it.

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.