aah

pregnant... what are my options?

84 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

And what if you go into labor early? What if there is a waiting period for the care in the state you're moving to? There are a lot of things to consider.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

MsHogan is correct. Most provinces have provisions that they only cover you to the end of the month that you become a resident of another country.

I would wait and POE after the baby’s born and you have all their documentation in place i.e. Birth Certificate & CRBA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

And the medicare you mention, that would be considered government assistance for the portion that covers the birth and recovery, since that's your health care and not the child's (I know, there's little difference, but still). So while your child could be covered under state health insurance, for example, you cannot be. Also, be wary of applying for things like WIC, since that provides nutritional support to the mother during the prenatal and nursing stages.

event.png

USCIS:
07/30/2012 - I-130 Sent
07/31/2012 - NOA1 Received (Petition sent to the dreaded VSC, rec'd by mail 08/17/2012)
03/22/2013 - RFE Received (email, rec'd RFE by mail 3/25)
03/26/2013 - Reply to RFE sent
04/03/2013 - NOA2 Received

NVC:
04/08/2013 - Case arrived at NVC
04/19/2013 - Received case #, IIN, gave e-mail addresses
04/19/2013- OPTIN Email Sent for EP
04/23/2013- DS-261 Sent
04/24/2013 - AOS bill invoiced & PAID
04/25/2013- OPTIN Email Accepted
05/01/2013 - AOS bill appears as PAID
04/30/2013 - AOS Package sent
05/03/2013 - AOS/I-864 accepted
05/07/2013 - IV bill invoiced & PAID
05/09/2013 - IV bill appears as PAID
05/09/2013 - IV Package sent
05/22/2013 - Case Complete
07/09/2013 - Interview date

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on the baby and immigration!I recently had my son in Canada and am now starting the process for my I-130. My son is american because of his father by filing a report of birth abroad (only cost 100$ and 165$ if you're getting a passport at the same time). I don't believe you lose your benefits unless you relinquish it. Canada is one of the few countries that can maintain dual citizenship and therefore maintain the benefits. As long as you have an address in Canada you are fine. I am so grateful to have given birth in Canada and saved a medical bill.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Canada regional forum; topic and subsequent discussion has been more about country specific issues than about the visa process itself.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Congrats on the baby and immigration!I recently had my son in Canada and am now starting the process for my I-130. My son is american because of his father by filing a report of birth abroad (only cost 100$ and 165$ if you're getting a passport at the same time). I don't believe you lose your benefits unless you relinquish it. Canada is one of the few countries that can maintain dual citizenship and therefore maintain the benefits. As long as you have an address in Canada you are fine. I am so grateful to have given birth in Canada and saved a medical bill.

I don't think this is technically allowed.

I've seen a lot of people in the canadian forum complaining about people coming back into Canada to have their babies for free.

Your healthcare system is paid for by the people living there.

It isn't REALLY free.

If you don't live there, then you are taking advantage of the system.

And now we're in the canadian forum so those people can weigh in!

Fantastic!

Edited by KDH

oldlady.gif

Health Care is definitely based on where you have your PRIMARY residence. You can’t be a resident of both Canada and the US, you have to pick.

The people who come back to Canada for surgeries or whatever when they are not fulfilling the residency requirement are defrauding the province and the people of Canada.

I hope they start cracking down on it more.

Timeline

Health Care is definitely based on where you have your PRIMARY residence. You can’t be a resident of both Canada and the US, you have to pick.

The people who come back to Canada for surgeries or whatever when they are not fulfilling the residency requirement are defrauding the province and the people of Canada.

I hope they start cracking down on it more.

Yeap, there you go, that's what I thought.

That was my hesitance in suggesting to POE and come back and have the baby and leave again.

There's no difinitive answer to this question, IMO until you find out an interview date.

OP- I just noticed your I-130 is already approved.

There's a VEEERRRRYYY good chance you'll already have a visa to move prior to having that baby.

The best option, if you don't have secure healthcare in the US, is to slow down the immigration process and move after the baby is born.

Take your time turning in papers to NVC because otherwise you could find yourself cutting the 6mo expiration on the visa POE very very close.

Not to mention mountains of bills in the US.

Otherwise have your husband add you to his employer insurance plan.

Edited by KDH

oldlady.gif

I had thought we can continue to reside in Canada after POE for a short time because you may need to move stuff, sell a house etc... Even when you move provinces it takes 3-6 months for residence to change over and I truly thought with the moving process that you may get that even if moving to the USA. I was not trying to tell someone to do something illegal in any way. I agree that slowing the process is probably the best choice due to legalities I didn't think of in my original post.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I had thought we can continue to reside in Canada after POE for a short time because you may need to move stuff, sell a house etc... Even when you move provinces it takes 3-6 months for residence to change over and I truly thought with the moving process that you may get that even if moving to the USA. I was not trying to tell someone to do something illegal in any way. I agree that slowing the process is probably the best choice due to legalities I didn't think of in my original post.

Well, I mean, if you still have a residence in Canada and you're still working on moving, then imo, that's fine.

I think there's a fine line there on what is right and wrong lol.

oldlady.gif

I had been starting to look into the POE and then head back up and finish everything up here thing (before I got my NOID) and it seemed like a big technical quagmire if it was too long of a delay.

First the health care mess because I had looked and saw that they only cover until the end of the month that you leave Canada. If you are a LPR of the US how can you say you are a resident of Canada still? What date do you use for your Canadian exit taxes & US tax returns. It should be your POE but if your working, living and claiming Canadian Health Care for months then it should be the actual date that you leave Canada to go live. Then if you do that, are you screwing with your chances of Removing Conditions and Citizenship because it should be the POE date instead.

I have read somewhere that the different government departments are going to have greater access to CBSA records of arrival and departure. I know they already check in-country EI claims against CBSA records and I think I read that some other departments are going to be looking at them more closely for fraud investigations.

Anyways, I had decided that it was going to be too much of a headache to try and figure everything out and make sure it was all completely above board and was going to just POE when we were ready to cross for good.

Timeline

I had been starting to look into the POE and then head back up and finish everything up here thing (before I got my NOID) and it seemed like a big technical quagmire if it was too long of a delay.

First the health care mess because I had looked and saw that they only cover until the end of the month that you leave Canada. If you are a LPR of the US how can you say you are a resident of Canada still? What date do you use for your Canadian exit taxes & US tax returns. It should be your POE but if your working, living and claiming Canadian Health Care for months then it should be the actual date that you leave Canada to go live. Then if you do that, are you screwing with your chances of Removing Conditions and Citizenship because it should be the POE date instead.

I have read somewhere that the different government departments are going to have greater access to CBSA records of arrival and departure. I know they already check in-country EI claims against CBSA records and I think I read that some other departments are going to be looking at them more closely for fraud investigations.

Anyways, I had decided that it was going to be too much of a headache to try and figure everything out and make sure it was all completely above board and was going to just POE when we were ready to cross for good.

Oh goodness.

Thank god we don't have to worry about all of that.

My husband works 1 day a week.

We don't own much stuff or a house.

We'll get the visa, my parents will drive up, and we'll gtfo of town lmao.

oldlady.gif

Well it's a good reminder to people to try and get most of their stuff done before POE and not to leave it until the last minute or POE before they're really ready to start living in the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think hikergirl has it right. You can't claim to be a resident of two countries at one time, it just doesn't work. There are consequences on both sides if it is discovered. If you use the healthcare services after you're claimed POE date, you may get stuck paying it back.

The medical assistance program you mentioned would be considered a means tested benefit. Your sponsor would be responsible for paying this back, which would be your husband. As the mother of a 4 month old, I would seriously suggest you securing health insurance before moving to the US with a baby. There are so many things that can and do happen. Relying on government assistance is not something I would mess with, there are too many variables.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.