Yunie

Interview "Evidence of Relationship" question

8 posts in this topic

I'm filing for a K-1 visa in Montreal, Canada.

My fiance and I started this journey in January 2011 and my interview is in a couple weeks!

However, we thought this process would take much less time than it has thanks to confusing terms and such, and because of this we had a small wedding with family and friends in May 2011. We did NOT get LEGALLY MARRIED at this time. We knew if we did, we would have to start all over again with a different type of visa.

I was wondering if pictures from this would be a good idea to use as "proof of relationship"? Having a ceremony showing our commitment infront of god and family is pretty binding in our eyes, but I worry that it would raise suspicions that we are lying?

Also should I provide more information (on the back of photos, eg) for what I do end up providing? Such as date and location?

Thank you in advance :)

It's a potential double edged sword for sure, depending on the officer.

I would show pictures of you and your fiance with family members during the party/celebration after the service but I would not include pictures of the service.

I would describe it as a family gathering to give both families to meet each other and to celebrate the engagement.

Relationship and I-130 Process

Sometime in October, 2011: We met online talking about Argentina.
Later in October: Met in person in Philadelphia and became good friends.
March 4, 2012: Became girlfriend and boyfriend, officially.
March 21: Gloria leaves the US at the end of her J-1 Visa.
April 9: Got engaged!
May 12-26: Chris visits Buenos Aires.
May 18: Got married in Argentina :) Happy day!!
May 29: Sent out I-130
June 4: NOA1 received.
August 17-20: Chris visits again.
September 22-29: Chris 3rd visit, Gloria's birthday!
November 11-January 5: Chris stays in Argentina almost 2 months, Gloria is happy!
December 28: NOA2 YAY!!!
December 31: Package received at NVC.
January 18, 2013: Got case # and IIN.
February 6: Case complete!!
February 11: Interview assigned.
February 25: Package received at Embassy in Buenos Aires.
March 18: Interview Approved!!
March 28: Visa received.
March 29: Houston POE

April 11: received greencard!!!!!!!

January 9, 2015: sent out form I-751

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

To me it sounds like an engagement PARTY, but then again if the picture shows you in a wedding gown and the guy in a tuxedo, I (or the consul) might assume it's a wedding.

You might want to consider using that as evidence. Just my opinion.

Filed: Timeline

Since you are coming from Canada I think it would be safe to say you have had a spiritual ceremony already with friends and family but you are not legally married. The interview is pretty basic and they just want proof that you are who you say you are, proof that you tell the truth, and proof that you love your spouse to be. They are not overly concerned about English speaking Canadians defrauding the system so you can get a better life in America stealing their social systems.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Why give USCIS any ammo to delay or deny you? Find other photos.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I was wondering if pictures from this would be a good idea to use as "proof of relationship"? Having a ceremony showing our commitment infront of god and family is pretty binding in our eyes, but I worry that it would raise suspicions that we are lying?

Yep you may totally derail everything. Don't include those at all and don't mention it anywhere.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Why give USCIS any ammo to delay or deny you? Find other photos.

:thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

We went all out, basically, and had a "real" wedding. Mostly for personal and family reasons.

I guess I'll pass on using photos from this, since like many mentioned, it is a very double edged sword. After a year, I don't really feel like being delayed any more.

Thank you everyone.

:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.