Williamzcj

Please help

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

My interview was done on December 12, 2012 For n 400, I passed the test but the officer gave me a letter saying that the decision cannot be made now.. Two days later I received request for evidence letter.. They requested my petition for divorce.. My green card is based on marriage that only lasted two years.. The condition was removed after the divorce.. I sent a copy of the petition for divorce on December 21.. I have not received anything since. Has anyone been asked to provide a certified copy of the petition for divorce before? Please help I am confused. How long will they respond after receiving the document.. Should I hire a lawyer? Please advise.

Has your online status changed to reflect that they have recieved the information? I would suggest that you make an infopass at the office where you were interviewed to make sure that they did receive your documentation and nothing further is required.

Timeline

I did the info pass today .. The officer wasn't helpful at all.. She said they don't change the status online immediately after receiving the requested evidence. She said once they receive it they attached to my file and put in line for final approval.. But she couldn't say if they actually received it or not.. I sent it by FedEx and i have a signature of the person who received my package..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

(This was my reply to the essentially duplicate thread in the Military forum. That thread was just transferred to this U.S. Citizenship forum but will be removed after this reply here is posted. No need to post more than once on the same subject.)

I can't say whether the request for the divorce petition is standard or not, but they asked for what they wanted. Given the holiday period just past, with USCIS people on vacation and paperwork continuing to stream in from all sides, I'd wait a couple more weeks before worrying. From what you say, I see no need to hire a lawyer.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Divorce decree, additional evidence for marriage like a completely worthless joint utility bill, evidence that you paid a five year old parking ticket, etc. It all causes delays, some excessive. Friend had to wait 15 months, joint taxes, joint home ownership, joint health and auto insurance, join vehicle ownership, life insurance beneficiary policies wasn't enough for them.

You have to give them at least 30 days to respond, if not, can contact your senators office. Key reasons given to us for delays was our file was misplaced, (three times?), other one was a miscommunication error.

Just want to you to know, you are not the only one exempt from extra evidence requirements and should be okay as long as you didn't marry a person from your home country and trying to bring that person here.

Timeline

Actually my ex huusband was american. I met him in iraq while he was serving there as a us army officer so we met in a war zone.. Thats why the relashionship dindnt work out..i will wait 30 days before i take the next step..my n 400 is based on 5 years residency not 3 years marriage because the marriage lasted only 2 years..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Actually my ex huusband was american. I met him in iraq while he was serving there as a us army officer so we met in a war zone.. Thats why the relashionship dindnt work out..i will wait 30 days before i take the next step..my n 400 is based on 5 years residency not 3 years marriage because the marriage lasted only 2 years..

Did you submit the divorce decree with your application? And are they asking for you I-751 petition for waiver, or the divorce filing papers?

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Timeline

This is my opinion - I don't think the online status will change to reflect receiving what you sent for the RFE. The status will show that they issued you a RFE letter, but not that they have ever received your response to the RFE. If your response is good for what they wanted, then your status should change at some point to "approved" and placed in the queue for an oath ceremony.

It is very hard to get through the time period after they issue you an RFE, because they make it clear that if you don't respond, it is the same as abandoning (stopping) the application for citizenship. Knowing this led me to send my wife's RFE response three different ways through the mail. Nothing was ever acknowledged by USCIS, but at least I had Certified Mail receipts showing a response had been sent.

For my wife, we had to let the "normal" processing time pass and then we did the electronic request (e-request) for information. We don't know if the e-request had any effect, but the approval of my wife's application came in within the 30 days they allow themselves to respond to the e-request.

Good luck,

kenk3z

Edited by kenk3z

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Guys help please

My interview for citizenship was done on December 12, 2012 For n 400, I passed the test but the officer gave me a letter saying that the decision cannot be made now.. Two days later I received request for evidence letter.. They requested my petition for divorce.. My green card is based on marriage that only lasted two years.. The condition was removed after the divorce.. I sent a copy of the petition for divorce on December 21.. After not hearing from them for a month i did the e request thing online and they replied today with this

Based on your request we researched the status of this case. We are actively processing this case. However, we have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please contact customer service at the number provided below.

I am confused what does this mean, may it take another 6 months to be approved??? Oh my god i am crying its been already 7 months.. I dont know what to do..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Guys help please

My interview for citizenship was done on December 12, 2012 For n 400, I passed the test but the officer gave me a letter saying that the decision cannot be made now.. Two days later I received request for evidence letter.. They requested my petition for divorce.. My green card is based on marriage that only lasted two years.. The condition was removed after the divorce.. I sent a copy of the petition for divorce on December 21.. After not hearing from them for a month i did the e request thing online and they replied today with this

Based on your request we researched the status of this case. We are actively processing this case. However, we have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please contact customer service at the number provided below.

I am confused what does this mean, may it take another 6 months to be approved??? Oh my god i am crying its been already 7 months.. I dont know what to do..

What is the issue date on the first green card you ever received?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It was aug. 20 , 2007

So you're definitely over the 5 years. I would give them a copy of the divorce paperwork they are asking for. Doesn't seem like it's a big deal.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

So you're definitely over the 5 years. I would give them a copy of the divorce paperwork they are asking for. Doesn't seem like it's a big deal.

I already did on dec 21 but nothing yet. Then when i did the e request online they replied with the message above

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.