mike42979

Christian wedding in the Philippines???

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, Me and my wife already married in the U.S by civil ceremony would like to have a church or garden wedding in the Philippines. We are both catholic but catholic wedding has been ruled out because according to our church deacon I the husband was never confirmed and they can not confirm me because i married my wife civilly within 90 days. Anyways we want to go in the Philippines and find someone that can marry us or should i say renew our vows in a larger propper ceremony weather its outside or in a church it doesnt matter. Do they have pastors that do this?

Thanks for your help!

My Proposal to kristine!!! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-25

I-129F RFE(s): NONE!!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-02

Interview Date : 2011-09-01

Interview Result : Approved

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you're talking about Roman Catholic wedding, the Church is very strict when it comes to the wedding requirements like Baptismal and Confirmation certificates. Even if you're just asking for renewal of vows (since you're already legally married in the US), they will still require you to submit those certificates. They won't perform the ceremony if you haven't complied with the requirements.

Try to find a judge at the Local Municipal Office where you reside in the Philippines. Maybe they can officiate the renewal of vows without so much hassle. Better to inquire at the Local Civil Registry of the Municipal Office too for the requirements.

There are nearly just as many Christian sects in the Philippines as there are in the US. If you just want a renewal of vows and a large ceremony you shouldn't have any problem finding a pastor that can help you arrange something nice. However your wife's family may not be comfortable with a non-Catholic ceremony so keep that in mind.

You say you are Catholic but are not confirmed? Do you mean you just attend a Catholic church and have not officially converted?

Timeline

There are nearly just as many Christian sects in the Philippines as there are in the US. If you just want a renewal of vows and a large ceremony you shouldn't have any problem finding a pastor that can help you arrange something nice. However your wife's family may not be comfortable with a non-Catholic ceremony so keep that in mind.

You say you are Catholic but are not confirmed? Do you mean you just attend a Catholic church and have not officially converted?

No, i was baptized catholic as a child but my Family didnt continue practicing the faith and i never went through holy communion or confirmation.

No, i was baptized catholic as a child but my Family didnt continue practicing the faith and i never went through holy communion or confirmation.

I would question your local deacon (I would always talk directly to my priest and skip the elders and deacons myself) to be honest. Have your wife's mother inquire as to what the requirements would be for a renewal of vows ceremony at the local parish. You'll most likely need a copy of your baptismal certificate as well as your wife's. If you can't get proof of your baptism you may be able to get a dispensation from the Bishop. This may take some time but shouldn't be impossible.

It is possible. However, be prepared for a tedious paperwork process if you want to have a Catholic wedding. The church will still require Baptismal and Confirmation certificates from both parties along with other requirements which you need to complete before the Church will perform the renewal of vows. You may refer to this site to have an idea of the requirements: http://www.weddingsatwork.com/2008beta/wp-content/themes/WeddingsAtWork2/philmarriage.php

Or you may have a simple renewal of vows with a judge, but with all the works like ring bearer, flower girls, your wife in a wedding gown, you in a barong tagalog perhaps. It's like a civil wedding ceremony but complete with the traditional wedding scene (walking down the aisle, reception and party after the ceremony).

If your wife has a specific venue in mind already, she may also get in touch with the hotel or resort to know what the possible options are.

Good luck!

CR-1 VISA

USCIS

06/20/2012 - I-130 mailed

06/27/2012 - NOA1 (SMS)
08/28/2012 - I-130 Approved (2 months after NOA1; No RFE)
09/01/2012 - NOA2 (Mail)

NVC
09/18/2012 - NVC Case number, I-864 invoice and DS-3032 received via e-mail (3 weeks after I-130 Approval)
09/18/2012 - I-864 fee paid; DS-3032 e-mailed(used DS-3032 e-mail template)
10/02/2012 - DS-3032 acknowledged(2 weeks after e-mailing DS-3032)
10/03/2012 - IV invoice received via e-mail
10/04/2012 - IV fee paid
10/22/2012 - I-864EZ packet delivered
11/05/2012 - I-864EZ accepted (No RFE)
11/09/2012 - IV packet delivered
11/27/2012 - Confirmed case complete via phone call; received NVC instruction letter with interview date via e-mail

US EMBASSY - MANILA
12/18 & 26/2012 - Medical
01/04/2013 - Interview @ 6:15 AM (APPROVED @ around 10:10 AM)
01/10/2013 - Passport and IV packet delivered (in 4 business days)

04/30/2013 - POE: SEATTLE, WA

05/14/2013 - SSN received

05/21/2013 - GC received

10/07/2013 - 1st Day @ 1st Job

ROC

02/21/2015 - I-751 mailed via USPS

02/27/2015 - Received NOA1 in the mail (Receipt date: 02/23/2015)

05/14/2015 - Biometrics appointment (Original 3/24)

08/28/2015 - GC ordered

Naturalization

05/16/2016 - N-400 mailed via USPS

05/23/2016 - Received NOA

06/15/2016 - Biometrics appointment

Timeline

Or you may have a simple renewal of vows with a judge, but with all the works like ring bearer, flower girls, your wife in a wedding gown, you in a barong tagalog perhaps. It's like a civil wedding ceremony but complete with the traditional wedding scene (walking down the aisle, reception and party after the ceremony).

If your wife has a specific venue in mind already, she may also get in touch with the hotel or resort to know what the possible options are.

Good luck!

I think this is going to be the best option because were going to visit in June, anyone know where i can find a civil judge to renew our vows for hire in Manila?

I think this is going to be the best option because were going to visit in June, anyone know where i can find a civil judge to renew our vows for hire in Manila?

You may have to get in touch with the Local Municipal Office for that, as mentioned in post #2.

Just a heads up, June is a peak season for weddings here in the Philippines (just assuming that you plan on having your renewal during your June visit). Key wedding venues are usually booked at least a year early, weekend dates are the first to go.

Happy planning!

Edited by CJ8611

CR-1 VISA

USCIS

06/20/2012 - I-130 mailed

06/27/2012 - NOA1 (SMS)
08/28/2012 - I-130 Approved (2 months after NOA1; No RFE)
09/01/2012 - NOA2 (Mail)

NVC
09/18/2012 - NVC Case number, I-864 invoice and DS-3032 received via e-mail (3 weeks after I-130 Approval)
09/18/2012 - I-864 fee paid; DS-3032 e-mailed(used DS-3032 e-mail template)
10/02/2012 - DS-3032 acknowledged(2 weeks after e-mailing DS-3032)
10/03/2012 - IV invoice received via e-mail
10/04/2012 - IV fee paid
10/22/2012 - I-864EZ packet delivered
11/05/2012 - I-864EZ accepted (No RFE)
11/09/2012 - IV packet delivered
11/27/2012 - Confirmed case complete via phone call; received NVC instruction letter with interview date via e-mail

US EMBASSY - MANILA
12/18 & 26/2012 - Medical
01/04/2013 - Interview @ 6:15 AM (APPROVED @ around 10:10 AM)
01/10/2013 - Passport and IV packet delivered (in 4 business days)

04/30/2013 - POE: SEATTLE, WA

05/14/2013 - SSN received

05/21/2013 - GC received

10/07/2013 - 1st Day @ 1st Job

ROC

02/21/2015 - I-751 mailed via USPS

02/27/2015 - Received NOA1 in the mail (Receipt date: 02/23/2015)

05/14/2015 - Biometrics appointment (Original 3/24)

08/28/2015 - GC ordered

Naturalization

05/16/2016 - N-400 mailed via USPS

05/23/2016 - Received NOA

06/15/2016 - Biometrics appointment

Hi, Me and my wife already married in the U.S by civil ceremony would like to have a church or garden wedding in the Philippines. We are both catholic but catholic wedding has been ruled out because according to our church deacon I the husband was never confirmed and they can not confirm me because i married my wife civilly within 90 days. Anyways we want to go in the Philippines and find someone that can marry us or should i say renew our vows in a larger propper ceremony weather its outside or in a church it doesnt matter. Do they have pastors that do this?

Thanks for your help!

You are already married in the US, so you will not be getting married in the Philippines. You will just be having ceremony to renew your vows. You can get anyone you like except a catholic priest, they are rules for renewing vows also, similar to getting married in a catholic church. So you can get a pastor of another church like Baptist church, or you can have a mayor, or anyone else you like to perform the ceremony since it will not be a official wedding, and no marriage license required.

The ceremony can be just like a wedding, down to every detail, just you can't be officially married again.

Edited by Mimi and Gary

Timeline

They want an original marriage, not a renewal of vows. They've never been married in the Church, nor had a ceremony.

The had a civil marriage. A judge at a municipal office cannot give them a church wedding. Local Civil registry has no requirements for this, since it's none of their business.

OP knows that the Church will not grant them a proper Church/Catholic wedding because they have not met the requirements (re: Confirmation).

I never said that a Judge will give them a Church wedding. I said a judge can OFFICIATE the wedding (a civil one). If they will need to get a license, they will have to verify with the Local Civil Registry.

Edited by apple21

Timeline

Why would they know that? Did you read my post? Do you know anything about Catholicism?

Even if he refuses to become Catholic, there are plenty of churches in the Philippines that have no such requirements.

Why would they need a licence? A licence for what?

Why would they want a judge to give them a civil wedding? They are already married. That was the whole point. They want a church wedding. Did you read the initial post?

Even if there are many Catholic churches in the Philippines, they still have the same requirements (re: Baptismal & Confirmation certificates). Now, if they can comply with this, no problem.

If they are non-practicing Catholics (NO baptismal and/or NO confirmation) then, no Catholic church would marry them.

Now, if you're referring to churches of ANOTHER RELIGIOUS GROUP (aside from Roman Catholic), then that's another story. You will have to be at least a member of a religious group before they can perform any ceremony for you, subject to their own rules too.

The LICENSE part I posted is MY ERROR. My bad. Kindly disregard. :bonk:

Edited by apple21

Do Filipinos require you to join a church in order to get married there?

We don't have that in the West. You think in a nation where money talks, even to clergy it should not be an issue.

Most organized Christian churches even in the US require some form of association (even if it is only one of the parents or godparents of the couple that is a member) to conduct a wedding within their sanctum. Yes, money can talk here in the Philippines just as it does in the US, but the OP was looking for a church or garden wedding and even specifically rephrased his request as a renewal of vows towards the end of his post. As they are already married a marriage of any sort in any location is impossible. Only a renewal of vows is possible and one can be conducted in a Catholic church as long as his wife has her baptismal certificate and he can get a dispensation from the bishop (a simple request and a week or two of waiting for the paperwork). The local parish priest may ask for additional requirements and that is why I suggested he ask his mother-in-law to request the local requirements from the parish priest directly. Renewal of vow ceremonies are common here, usually done for 25th and 50th anniversaries though doing one at an earlier date is not out of the question.

Didn't say they wanted to renew their vows. Just asked if we suggested that would be easier.

Doesn't matter if they are married. They can still get married anywhere they want. As many times they want. The Catholic church, for example, considers them single individuals. A civil tax union is not a Holy Sacrament.

Even a civil marriage is possible. There is no law forbidding multiple marriages to the same person. Though that's not what's being asked, if you would have read the question. You should probably re-read it.

At this point I have realized that Hank_ is quite correct about you and you are providing members of this board nothing but misleading and incorrect information. You cannot ever have multiple marriages to the same person. You can only get a renewal of vows once you are married. Anything else is legally impossible. Marriage is and always will remain solely a legal construct.

or should i say renew our vows in a larger propper ceremony

The OP was very clear that he was in fact asking about a renewal of vows.

Shame on you for being Catholic but not doing Holy Communion on Sundays!

You can remedy this by becoming an official Catholic. Then any church has to marry you. And in case you don't know, the Holy Sacrament of Marriage is completely free. There is no fee to be paid. Me and my wife were married in the most famous church in the Philippines. The priest tried to scam us outta some money, but we used the chain of command, and he was reprimanded. They cannot charge you. And there are a lot of famous Mexican churches here that are kinda cool to do it in.

Conversely, there are pastors here as well.

"Mexican" churches in the Philippines? :no:

Stiffing the church out of a customary donation? That deserves it's own chapter in The Ugly American. :yes:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Donations for a Holy Sacrament are strictly voluntary.

Racist comments are against the ToS of this site. You have been reported.

do not bait other members. further posts like that will result in admin action.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.