helpguys

Oath Ceremony without Green Card !?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm still under age of 18.

I applied my U.S. passport early December together with my mom, who naturalized 2 years ago.

I got my Oath Ceremony next week Friday, and It says on the letter that I have to surrender " your alien registration card(and any United States travel documents) "

The problem is I've already surrendered my green card for U.S. passport application , and I haven't received my passport or the green card back yet.

I don't have my driver license as well, all I have now is my native country passport.

Do I must surrender my green card during the ceremony?

What should I do now ? Any advices?

http://travel.state.gov/passport/status/status_2567.html

You can check the status of your passport application on-line. Hopefully it will be there by the time of your Oath Ceremony.

I’m not sure about your questions, but I wish you well :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I applied my U.S. passport early December together with my mom, who naturalized 2 years ago.

I got my Oath Ceremony next week Friday, and It says on the letter that I have to surrender " your alien registration card(and any United States travel documents) "

The problem is I've already surrendered my green card for U.S. passport application , and I haven't received my passport or the green card back yet.

I don't have my driver license as well, all I have now is my native country passport.

you will need to surrender it. You don't have a choice

jkshrmfeqk.png

ooOcm7.png

event.png

Why do you have an oath ceremony? Did you apply for N-600?

One solution is that you can re-schedule your oath ceremony to a later time.

---

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am not sure I understand- if you are entitled to a US passport, you are already a US citizen, so no need for an oath ceremony.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I am not sure I understand- if you are entitled to a US passport, you are already a US citizen, so no need for an oath ceremony.

I think they do a "mini" ceremony when you apply for N-600 Certificate of Citizenship for your children even when they have already US passports.

Edited by nwctzn

I'm not sure as well.

My understanding is that the N-600 grant you a certificate, which ONLY PURPOSE is to prove your citizenship.

I was told that the N600 was actually NOT NECESSARY in my case, since I can apply passport with my mother, which I did, but didn't expect it to be coincident with the ceremony.

However my mom applied my N-600 long time ago. I missed one appointment before already; this is my rescheduled oath ceremony, and I don't really want to mess it up again.

Bottom line is, can I still do my ceremony without those documents?

I'm not sure as well.

My understanding is that the N-600 grant you a certificate, which ONLY PURPOSE is to prove your citizenship.

I was told that the N600 was actually NOT NECESSARY in my case, since I can apply passport with my mother, which I did, but didn't expect it to be coincident with the ceremony.

However my mom applied my N-600 long time ago. I missed one appointment before already; this is my rescheduled oath ceremony, and I don't really want to mess it up again.

Bottom line is, can I still do my ceremony without those documents?

You could schedule an infopass appointment at your local USCIS office and ask about your situation. Given that you already have applied for a US passport, they might be fine if you surrender your green card at a later time.

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm afraid your mommy has dropped you one too many times when you were still a baby.

The ONE and ONLY purpose of the N-600 and the ("Mini" Oath) ceremony is to have a piece of paper that allows you to get the VERY FIRST U.S. passport. Thereafter you can throw the $600 piece of paper away since it's worthless. The U.S. passport is the best proof of citizenship a human being can have. Period.

So if you became a US citizen by act of law, you don't and didn't need a Certificate to get a a U.S. passport. Duh!

Since you have applied for a U.S. passport already, there is no need, no purpose, no nothing for an N-600 and an Oath Ceremony. You go to the Oath, get your Certificate of Citizenship, and can immediately throw it away.

So why exactly have you tried so hard to flush $600 down the toilet?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I'm afraid your mommy has dropped you one too many times when you were still a baby.

The ONE and ONLY purpose of the N-600 and the ("Mini" Oath) ceremony is to have a piece of paper that allows you to get the VERY FIRST U.S. passport. Thereafter you can throw the $600 piece of paper away since it's worthless. The U.S. passport is the best proof of citizenship a human being can have. Period.

So if you became a US citizen by act of law, you don't and didn't need a Certificate to get a a U.S. passport. Duh!

Since you have applied for a U.S. passport already, there is no need, no purpose, no nothing for an N-600 and an Oath Ceremony. You go to the Oath, get your Certificate of Citizenship, and can immediately throw it away.

Well, believe it or not, I read about a person who could not convince a DMV clerk that the US passport is sufficient proof since in their system he showed up as permanent resident :bonk:

Many folks in the US have not seen a passport in their lifetime. But when you show them a certificate (which they also see the first time), they are magically convinced. :whistle:

At the end, I do not think it is $600 down the toilet. It can really become handy.

Edited by nwctzn

I'm just asking for advices. I don't see why you have to put out all those insulting remarks.

My mom applied for my N600 because she wants to assure everything.

Even though it's useless paper, it's been applied, and I want to get it. Like you say, grabbing my $600 worthless paper.

Lets get back to my MAIN QUESTION: Have anyone got their certificates without surrendering their documents because of other reasons(stolen,lost..?) or know a good deal of what to do ?

Lets get back to my MAIN QUESTION: Have anyone got their certificates without surrendering their documents because of other reasons(stolen,lost..?) or know a good deal of what to do ?

Did you check the link that I gave you to look on your passports processing? It could be a moot point with your passport on it’s way to you.

I think that the one poster above is on the right track with an info pass appointment if your passport is not going to be back in time. When you go bring your receipt for mailing off your passport to show them that you mailed off the documentation. USCIS are the only ones with definitive answers.

Edited by hikergirl

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Would think telling the USCIS you already surrendered your green card to the DOS should be enough.

This is all water under the bridge now and most people have not dealt with our some odd 1,525 governmental agencies, with forms, always make backup copies and save information those forms were sent. Either by registered mail or a return receipt.

With my stepdaughter and with very long AOS processing paid extra for an EAD card with that. With and EAD or green card, can go to your local DMV office and get a state ID card. Can't do that with a foreign passport. We wanted to do domestic air travel, and was the only way she could board the plane. And with that state ID card, looked like everyone else.

You could go to your DOS agent and get a letter verifying you applied for your US passport and had to surrender your green card in the process. Have them notarize it. This should take five minutes. As a minor, you have no say in these matters, your mom is going to have to do the explaining. Not easy when dealing with governmental agents that don't even know their own jobs.

And you have to keep your appointments, ha, had problems with my own stepdaughter in this situation, always had something else to do. But just told her, if she doesn't comply, she won't even be here to do something else.

I read about cases where people lost their cards and were still able to attend the oath. In your case, your card is not stolen but you have a valid reason since it is out for passport processing.

As I indicated earlier, just schedule an infopass appointment at your local USCIS office and get a direct answer from USCIS. Most likely they will allow you to attend the ceremony and just surrender the card at a later time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.