DefunctAccount

The first Gay K-1 Fiance Visa Progress with DOMA repeal on the Horizon (Tim & Keno)

138 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Keno and I are starting to slowly prepare all the documentation we are going to need to submit our I-129F. We want to take our time with the whole process to make sure every 'i' is dotted and every 't' is crossed. Being one of the first same-sex bi-national couples to immigrate to the US on a K-1 visa on the heels of a potential victory in the Supreme Court on June 27th means we don't want anything to go wrong on our end.

While we cannot file our I-129F until DOMA is repealed, we want to be ready the instant it is to submit our paperwork because it is such a time-consuming process.

Keno is currently securing his passport quality photos which he will include in his packet of info (G-325a, statement of intent to marry) that he will send to me in late January. He should have them within the week.

To everyone who supports us, thank you very much - you have no idea how much kind words and support means to us.

To those who wish us ill or dislike us because of our sexuality, please just avoid posting inflammatory comments and leave us be - that's all we ask and we do wish you the best of luck on your journey to bring your loved one to the US.

Tim and Keno,

Thanks for the great thread. The support and assistance is great here. Haris and I are wondering now with the repeal how is your process is going? We just found the thread yesterday so I apologize if you have already updated but we just didnt see it. And thanks again and best of luck.

Hey Guys! I think you are right about the SSM eligible state issue. I sent an email to a one of the big Immigration Law Firms and got the following:

"Thank you for your message. If you have met your fiancé in person within the last 2 years you can apply for the K-1 fiancé visa to bring him over here.

It does not matter if you live in a state that does not allow gay marriage. You can always get married in a state that does. Because immigration law is federal, once you get married your spouse will be eligible for immigration benefits, no matter where you reside. If you would like to start the process please let us know."

One of the other threads closed by the moderator. Which was ok. They were giving out wrong information about the state issue and really making weird statements. I really got freaked out about some of the info and thats when I sent the email off to the attorney.

Plus the ImmigrationEquality.org site seems to confirm that we are ok.

Really appreciate the support.

And HEY what about England... awesome!

Hi Mr Texas, good luck on your petition. You are ahead of me in the process. I am the foreign partner in my relationship. So far, case laws are in favor on SSM approval based on the state where the couple plans on marrying. The case cited in that other thread as well as a trans-gender case is actually helpful for us. I do strongly disagree with one member's suggestion on us preparing to move state. That is simply bad advice and unsupported by past cases. USCIS has already approved Adjustment of Status petition for a SS couple in Florida and a green card petition was approved for another couple in Colorado, both are non marriage equality states and you can bet they got married in a state where it is legal!

Beware that those were all USCIS decisions under the DHS. K1 is further complicated by having consulate processing which is under the Dept of State. The President and his cabinet have pledged to process our petitions without further delay but DoS is traditionally a little slower. We won't have any successful consulate interview or K1 stamp for at least another 6 months, but hang in there!

K1 Visa Adjustment of Status

Consulate : Hong Kong, China CIS Office : Cincinnati OH

I-129F Sent : 2013-07-24 Initial Processing Center : MSC

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-08-06 Case Transferred to: NSC (According to Case Status)

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-10-04 Date Filed : 2014-04-22

NVC Received : 2013-11-08 NOA Date : 2014-04-29

Consulate Received : 2013-11-19 RFE : 2014-05-19

Packet 3 Received : 2013-11-21 Bio. Appt. : 2014-05-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2013-12-03 RFE Returned : 2014-05-24

Packet 4 Received : 2013-12-21 RFE Received (Online Status Change). : 2014-05-29

Interview Date : 2014-01-14 EAD Approved : 2014-06-27

Interview Result : Approved EAD Card Produced : 2014-07-02

Visa Issued : 2014-01-22 EAD Card Received : 2014-07-05

Visa Received : 2014-01-25 Potential Interview Waiver Letter Dated : 2014-08-13

US Entry : 2014-03-13 Potential Interview Waiver Letter Received : 2014-08-18

POE: ORD (Chicago O'hare) EAD Renewal NOA : 2015-05-07

Time at Primary Inspection : 5 min EAD Renewal Biometric : 2015-06-02

Time at Secondary Inspection : 15 min AoS Out of Normal Processing Time Request Filed : 2015-06-18

Marriage : 2014-04-07 (L) EAD Expedition Request Filed : 2015-06-19

Infopass Appointment : 2015-06-25 (Useful: received info of IO assignment and field office location)

EAD (Expedited) RFE Received : 2015-06-26

EAD (Expedited) RFE Faxed (as instructed) : 2015-06-26

EAD (Expedited) Approved : 2015-07-01

EAD Card Mailed : 2015-07-16

AoS RFE : 2015-07-17 (Redo Medical)

EAD Card Received : 2015-07-18

AoS RFE Received : 2015-07-23 (Redo Medical)

AoS RFE Sent : 2015-08-04 (Medical)

AoS Approved : 2015-08-10

Green Card Mailed : 2015-08-24

Green Card Received : 2015-08-26

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the information about the Department of State, that has been the thing I have been wondering about...

Good luck to you all... I am going "home" to see my fiance in January and am hoping the next trip after that will be to bring him home with me t the US

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hey everyone! Had to share the great news and hopefully provide some assurances. Haris and I received the I-129 Petition Approval today (NOA2) from the USCIS. It took 56 days from NOA1 which I think is fairly quick. It got processed at the Texas center which may be one of the faster centers or maybe they have gotten better. So obviously there are no problems with filing petitions for same sex partners! I am so happy this is available for us now. Of course now the next hurdle is the State Department and the visa which hopefully is just doing to be more paperwork and the embassy interview. Thanks everyone for the encouragement and the folks at the site that post really good information. Hope to hear that more petitions are being approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

This is great news, and very heartening for all of us whose I-129F petitions have been sent to the TSC! Thanks for letting us know, and please keep us posted on your progress with the DOS.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Congrats! ^_^ I'm in the Embassy/NVC process now. Mostly it's just more paperwork.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Congrats GayK1inTexas! We are also a same sex couple waiting for our NOA2 from the TSC. We are 41 days in from NOA1...You give us hope!

Edited by Davesings

K1 Timeline

07/29/2013 I-129F Sent via FedEx to Lewisville, TX. 07/30/2013 I-129F TSC Received. 08/01/2013 NOA1. 08/07/2013 NOA1 Received by mail.

10/30/2013 NOA2

11/04/2013 NOA2 Received by mail. 11/21/2013 USCIS shipped the approved case to NVC 

12/02/2013 NVC Received, LND case number provided, "At NVC" 12/04/2013 Left NVC! "In Transit"

12/11/2013 Medical - Completed! 

01/23/2014 INTERVIEW! APPROVED!

01/31/2014 VISA IN HAND!

03/31/2014 POE New York JFK 04/19/2014 WEDDING!

AOS Timeline

04/30/2014 Forms sent via FedEx to USCIS in Chicago, IL

05/10/2014 Received NOA in mail

06/03/2014 Biometrics @ Varick Street ASC - Completed!

07/12/2014 AP/EAD Approved!

07/18/2014 EAD/AP card received in mail!

08/18/2014 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver received

04/14/2015 GC approved and in Production!

04/18/2015 Received Welcome Letter!

04/21/2015 GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!

Lifting of Conditions Timeline

01/14/2017 I-751 Package sent via USPS Priority Express to USCIS Vermont Service Center

01/18/2017 NOA date

01/27/2017 Received NOA in the mail 

02/09/2017 Received Biometrics Appt Letter

02/21/2017 Biometrics Appointment 

12/21/2017 Removal of Conditions approved! 

01/02/2018 Received NOA in the mail

01/08/2018 Website updated to "my card was mailed," received text and email to same effect, and Green Card appeared on same day in the mail!

Naturalization Timeline

01/14/2018 Filed online, credit card payment accepted, NOA dated 1/14/18 appeared online 1/17/18. Received NOA in the mail on 1/19/18.

02/09/2018 Biometrics Appointment

10/10/2018 Interview Letter posted online

11/14/2018 Interview

12/07/2018 OATH!

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

WOW. Its 3:00 am in the morning and I just got text from my finance. He finished his interview and was approved. We are so happy with the experience with the US Consulate in Jakarta. They treated my fiance so fantastic. We were the first gay couple to be granted K1 at the Consulate. They expressed their full support of DOMA and the right of all couples to be happy in marriage. They made him feel so comfortable and asked very good questions about our relationship. Of course they ask about how we met and communicate. Questions about me, my job and house. And my finance indicate the interviewer genuinely was happy to see our pictures and mentioned we looked so happy together. He wished us the best of luck and was happy to approve our visa.

By the way our timeline indicate 85 days to interview and approval. We couldn't have done it without the great tools on VJ. We did get some weird advice from some members who didn't understand DOMA but maybe they will get educated. But in terms of process of visa everything was very beneficial. Thanks again everyone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

WOW. Its 3:00 am in the morning and I just got text from my finance. He finished his interview and was approved. We are so happy with the experience with the US Consulate in Jakarta. They treated my fiance so fantastic. We were the first gay couple to be granted K1 at the Consulate. They expressed their full support of DOMA and the right of all couples to be happy in marriage. They made him feel so comfortable and asked very good questions about our relationship. Of course they ask about how we met and communicate. Questions about me, my job and house. And my finance indicate the interviewer genuinely was happy to see our pictures and mentioned we looked so happy together. He wished us the best of luck and was happy to approve our visa.

By the way our timeline indicate 85 days to interview and approval. We couldn't have done it without the great tools on VJ. We did get some weird advice from some members who didn't understand DOMA but maybe they will get educated. But in terms of process of visa everything was very beneficial. Thanks again everyone.

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS........Awesome news finally there is a same-sex couples got approved for fiance visa.....Really really gives us hope....

Congratulations! Glad your fiance didn't have any problems at the interview. Feeling really happy for you both! This bodes well for all the other same sex couples to follow. good.gif

USCIS: CR-1 Visa @ Vermont Service Center (Approved in 140 days from NOA1)

03/07/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/14/11: NOA1 via text and email (03/21/11: in the mail); petition routed to VSC

07/27/11: NOA2 via text and email (07/30/11: received in the mail)

08/01/11: Case received at NVC

09/19/11: Case complete and forwarded to consulate

10/19/11: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

11/18/11: POE

12/12/11: 2- year Green Card arrives in the mail

12/22/11: Applied for SSN at local office

12/26/11: SSN arrives in the mail

08/20/13: ROC window opens

10/03/13: I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center

10/05/13: I-751 Delivered (Signed for by Karen Fitzgerald)

10/09/13: Check cleared bank account

10/11/13: NOA1 received (dated 10/07/13)

10/19/13: Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 10/16/13)

11/12/13: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo, NY

11/15/13: Case transferred to CSC

03/04/14: USCIS case status update: Card/Document Production (i.e. APPROVED!!!)

03/07/14: USCIS case status update: Green Card in the postal system; tracking number

03/08/14: Approval notice arrives in the mail (dated 03/04/2014; USCIS Office: Buffalo, NY)

03/10/14: 10-year Green Card arrives in the mail

Timeline

Yes and I hope it finally give actual answer to the state issue that many senior VJ members kept incorrectly bringing up about what state you live in. We are in Texas and get married in Iowa because it is close. But with DOMA as long as you have legitimate marriage in state where it is legal then USCIS and DOS consider it legitmate marriage for immigration purposes. This is what has been happening in Immigration courts from 1st day of DOMA where couples were fighting their cases. And was being correctly reported by immigrationequality.org

The End of DOMA: How are LGBT couples affected
http://immigrationequality.org/2013/06/the-end-of-doma-what-your-family-needs-to-know/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Congratulations! This is wonderful news, and it's nice to know that the DOS personnel in Jakarta were so supportive. Hopefully we will have a similarly positive experience in Rio de Janeiro sometime in the next few months. Best wishes as you prepare for your new life together!

Peter and Bonieke

Filed: Timeline

Congratulation Mr. GayK1inTexa. Im very happy for your approval! i can imagine how happy both of you are...

I remembered when the first time you started to post about K1 visa for LGBT, you tried to look for advises and experiences sharing, but some members here tried to bring you down by giving false information and tried to scare you with some issues which were really nonsense! I bet they feel so ashamed now that they re deadly wrong and you re totally right! but thanks to them for trying to bring LGBT couples here down, unfortunately that made other LGBT couples get stronger instead. LOL

You got approval within 3 months with no RFE at all. what a great accomplishment!

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.