Minith8

Who is the one to open the "Do not open envelope" that comes along with K1 visa

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have a question about POE in the US. I will travel to the US with K1 visa but I am confused about who is the one to open " Do not open envelope" I have 2 ways to travel I can travel from Toronto Pearson airport to Philadelphia but at Pearson we will pass the US immigration at Toronto airport, so is he the one to open the envelope? Another way I can take Megabus to Philadelphia, so I give the envelope to the US immigration at Peace Bridge? Anyone travel same route please give me an advice..Thank you so much.

Hi everyone,

I have a question about POE in the US. I will travel to the US with K1 visa but I am confused about who is the one to open " Do not open envelope" I have 2 ways to travel I can travel from Toronto Pearson airport to Philadelphia but at Pearson we will pass the US immigration at Toronto airport, so is he the one to open the envelope? Another way I can take Megabus to Philadelphia, so I give the envelope to the US immigration at Peace Bridge? Anyone travel same route please give me an advice..Thank you so much.

I think I read on here about a bus leaving someone at the border because their processing of the visa was taking too long.

I know other people have flown, although most drive down with their stuff.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I realize your question isn't being answered. BUT I don't think a bus would be willing to wait for you while you're at secondary processing at the Peace Bridge. I know I'd be PI$$ed if I was on that bus thinking I was going to arrive somewhere by a certain estimated time only to have it thrown off by someone who was immigrating.

Do you have anyone who might be willing to drive you to the airport in Buffalo? That way you could cross at the Peace Bridge or Rainbow Bridge and have as much time as necessary. My suggestion would ideally encourage you to cross the border the day before your flight, or get a late-in-the-day flight and cross early in the morning so you have plenty of time. Just a suggestion.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

If you fly from Toronto to Philly, you would be processed at Pearson. The CBP officer would open your packet, process you and issue your I-94. If you take a bus, wherever you cross the land border is where you'll be processed, so in this case the Peace Bridge. They will send you inside and an officer will open your packet, process you and issue your I-94. You never open it.

Timeline

one inappropriate and unhelpful comment has been removed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I've taken the Megabus across the border and an individual was almost left there because of some issue with their passport. I would imagine if you took the megabus was the intention of using your K1 visa, there would be a good chance the bus would leave without you. If you were to do this, however, I would suggest you sit at the very front of the bus so that you are first in line for immigration so that people aren't waiting on you. Very risky still I would think.

Question... Why would Canadian Border Patrol open an envelope when you're going through US customs/immigration? When I fly from Calgary, I have to get my ticket, and then proceed through the US customs right away, then security, then onto a secured section of the airport. I'm assuming at the US customs part is where I would be going through the POE?

I personally plan on flying down, driving up with my husband, getting my/our stuff and then driving back with him. I'm not taking my car and we need a way to move our stuff so a tow along uhaul and the Jeep sounds like a plan ;) The inital flight from Edmonton or Calgary would be the immigration POE. I would arrive earlier than normal (I always am at least 2 hours early before departure anyhow...) but I certainly won't be going through it the night before just to spend a night in the airport. LOL!

Personally I think Minith8 that flying is the better option than taking a bus. If you have to make a connecting flight either book 2 flights seperately or make sure you have enough time between the two to go through any details you need to.

I have always gone through US immigration in the Canadian airport when flying from Canada to the USA, but I've only been in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton airports for flights to the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Question... Why would Canadian Border Patrol open an envelope when you're going through US customs/immigration? When I fly from Calgary, I have to get my ticket, and then proceed through the US customs right away, then security, then onto a secured section of the airport. I'm assuming at the US customs part is where I would be going through the POE?

Canadian Border Patrol doesn't open your envelope. When I say CBP it means Customs & Border Patrol (US side). Most major Canadian airports have pre-clearance, so you go through US customs at the airport. That's where you're visa will be processed (your POE) Toronto works just like Calgary.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ah okay. I just understood the acronym wrong. Thanks :D

Every time I see the acronym, I have to remind myself that it DOESN'T mean Canadian Border Patrol lol

Took me a good 30 minutes of staring at officer's uniforms on the US side trying to figure out why it said that lmao

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I personally plan on flying down, driving up with my husband, getting my/our stuff and then driving back with him. I'm not taking my car and we need a way to move our stuff so a tow along uhaul and the Jeep sounds like a plan ;) The inital flight from Edmonton or Calgary would be the immigration POE. I would arrive earlier than normal (I always am at least 2 hours early before departure anyhow...) but I certainly won't be going through it the night before just to spend a night in the airport. LOL!

Personally I think Minith8 that flying is the better option than taking a bus. If you have to make a connecting flight either book 2 flights seperately or make sure you have enough time between the two to go through any details you need to.

I have always gone through US immigration in the Canadian airport when flying from Canada to the USA, but I've only been in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton airports for flights to the USA.

CBP doesn;t stand for canadian border patrol It stands for US Customs and Border Patrol headbonk.gif

Thanks for correcting me again today. Even though it was already mentioned in this thread. I almost feel like I have a correction fan club today.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thanks for everyone..yea when I fly from Toronto Pearson Airport to Philly, the POE is inside Toronto airport and when I walk out from Philly airport. There is no more customs on that side, so for K1 visa it will be the same as I enter with tourist visa right?

Thanks for everyone..yea when I fly from Toronto Pearson Airport to Philly, the POE is inside Toronto airport and when I walk out from Philly airport. There is no more customs on that side, so for K1 visa it will be the same as I enter with tourist visa right?

Similar except get there as early as you are allowed because you will go to the first booth and then to secondary where they will process your K-1 Visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.