Mo1689

HELP: I listed "single" on my Federal Tax Returns while Married

63 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Then look again. I've never seen a birth certificate with a photo on it. If you don't use the passport, you must have two from the other list, of which ONE must have your photo on it.

If you do not submit your passport, you can submit two of the following and one must have a photograph:

*Current original documents are:

Civil birth certificates—since civil birth certificates do not

contain an expiration date, they are considered current at all

times.

Passports and national identification cards—these documents

will be considered current only if their expiration date has not

passed prior to the date the Form W-7 is submitted.

Medical records—these documents will be accepted for

dependents under 6 years of age. A medical record will consist

only of a shot/immunization record which documents the

patient's name and chronological dates of the patient's medical

history and care. The medical record must contain the child's

name, date of birth, and verifiable address. In addition, the

medical record must document the name, address, and phone

number of the doctor, hospital, or clinic where treatment was last

administered. If this information is not printed on the medical

record, the medical record must be accompanied by a dated

letter providing the required information on official letterhead

from the Federal authority, physician, hospital, or clinic that

administered the latest care of the child. If a date of entry is

required for the applicant, the medical record must be from a

U.S. facility.

School records—these documents are valid for dependents

under the age of 14 (under age 18 if a student) and are

considered current if they are for a school term no older than 12

months from the date of the W-7 application (e.g., January

2012–December 2012 for a January 2013 application). The

school record consists of an official report card or transcript

issued by the school or equivalent of a Ministry of Education and

signed by the school or ministry official. The record must be

dated and contain the student's name, course work with grades,

date of grading period(s), and school name and address. If a

date of entry is required

Edited by KDH

oldlady.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If you do not submit your passport, you can submit two of the following and one must have a photograph:

So, when you looked again, did you realize a birth certificate is not sufficient?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

So, when you looked again, did you realize a birth certificate is not sufficient?

Still better than sending your passport, or going off to the issuing agency in some cases.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Still better than sending your passport, or going off to the issuing agency in some cases.

What's better? The birth certificate alone will not work. So, sending the W7 with a birth certificate is a waist of time. If you're suggesting something other than what you actually wrote, it would be helpful for you to clarify your suggestion.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

What's better? The birth certificate alone will not work. So, sending the W7 with a birth certificate is a waist of time. If you're suggesting something other than what you actually wrote, it would be helpful for you to clarify your suggestion.

No, I meant above where I said (2) things needed.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

No, I meant above where I said (2) things needed.

And I didn't comment on that. You wrote that the birth certificate was sufficient. It is not.

You wrote. "Probably easiest to just get a copy of your birth certificate which I'm seeing is sufficient enough." That's what I responded to.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

And I didn't comment on that. You wrote that the birth certificate was sufficient. It is not.

You wrote. "Probably easiest to just get a copy of your birth certificate which I'm seeing is sufficient enough." That's what I responded to.

Yeah, I've moved past that. You should too.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Yeah, I've moved past that. You should too.

Actually, you simply ignored your error. I didn't. You don't need to educate ME on the W7 form but you DO need to refrain from making false statements that mislead the reader. A wise person knows the limits of their knowledge. Please get wise.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Actually, you simply ignored your error. I didn't. You don't need to educate ME on the W7 form but you DO need to refrain from making false statements that mislead the reader. A wise person knows the limits of their knowledge. Please get wise.

Well, you didn't acknowledge that the passport copy can no longer be notarized as you stated, so I think we're even.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Well, you didn't acknowledge that the passport copy can no longer be notarized as you stated, so I think we're even.

First, this is not a contest. It's a forum to help people with immigration related issues. False information doesn't help people.

Second, you misinterpreted what I said. My point was that often people choose to wait because of the difficulty in meeting the documentary requirements associated with the W7.

Third, this little paragraph in the instructions refers to authentication by Consular Officers. Consular officers provide this "authentication" by "Notarizing". What changed is that they don't accept the other kinds of notarial services previously accepted.

Have the officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas

provide certification and authentication services. Contact the

Consular Section, American Citizens Services of the U.S.

embassy or consulate in advance to determine the hours of

operation for these services.

When you're wrong, you're wrong. Again, it's not a competition.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

I've been a member of VJ for more than seven years. During that time, this subject has been discussed several times each year about this time. A year or two ago, a member who worked for IRS led the charge to attach the idea of filing single. He did an admirable job, but it served only to confirm that there is a danger only if you are an actual IRS employee. That same year, I was advising another IRS officer (not a member here) on the subject. He confirmed that HE needed to take the risk of having his wife's passport couriered to him for authentication, but that this was not an actual issue for the rest of the taxpayers not employed at the IRS.

This, of course, is known to tax professionals who advise their clients to file single, then amend the returns later. It's BECAUSE there is no penalty. Sure, if you want to risk losing a passport during the visa process, or there IS NO RISK, because the passport is hand carried during a visit, filing the W7 is clearly the best choice. For some though, it is NOT.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

I've been a member of VJ for more than seven years. During that time, this subject has been discussed several times each year about this time. A year or two ago, a member who worked for IRS led the charge to attach the idea of filing single. He did an admirable job, but it served only to confirm that there is a danger only if you are an actual IRS employee. That same year, I was advising another IRS officer (not a member here) on the subject. He confirmed that HE needed to take the risk of having his wife's passport couriered to him for authentication, but that this was not an actual issue for the rest of the taxpayers not employed at the IRS.

This, of course, is known to tax professionals who advise their clients to file single, then amend the returns later. It's BECAUSE there is no penalty. Sure, if you want to risk losing a passport during the visa process, or there IS NO RISK, because the passport is hand carried during a visit, filing the W7 is clearly the best choice. For some though, it is NOT.

you are very knowledgeable about immigration matters. Am just curious are you a lawyer? you are an asset to these forums. :thumbs:

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Timeline

you are very knowledgeable about immigration matters. Am just curious are you a lawyer? you are an asset to these forums. :thumbs:

No. I'm not a lawyer. Thanks for the complement.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Interesting post. actually kept me busy insstead of driving off to go see a friend who is probably waiting. At least Ihave been educated on this issue.

yet to read a reply to the question " which of these filing options mentioned results in more refund or less taxes :)

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Timeline

Interesting post. actually kept me busy insstead of driving off to go see a friend who is probably waiting. At least Ihave been educated on this issue.

yet to read a reply to the question " which of these filing options mentioned results in more refund or less taxes :)

The option that results in the lowest taxes is married filing jointly. That's how you can eventually amend the return regardless of how you file now.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.