monicaps

Sent I-751 missing divorce decree

4 posts in this topic

I got married in may 2010, in jan 2011 I received my 2years green card. My marriage was a disaster and we got divorced in march 2012.

At the end of the divorce hearing, the judge gave out 3 pages of paper with the words "dissolution of marriage", cause and the day, with a stamp "filed in march 26 2012" and the signature of the judge. I thought it was the only document I needed to prove I got a divorce. I dont know if it makes a difference, but I got divorced in CT.

Yesterday I sent the ROC package. After I sent it, I found out the document the judge gives to you on the day of the final trial was not the divorce decree. I went to the DMV in NYC and they didnt accept that document as proof of my divorce (i was seeking a name change), that was when I called the court in CT and they said I might not have the decree. I requested one from the court in CT and I should have it on the first or second week of january.

Therefore I didnt include my divorce decree! Im freaking out... Im getting ready for an RFE... Can they deny my case without sending a RFE? Should I send the divorce decree or wait for their answer?

My green card expires in january 2013.

Here is the list of what I sent:

• Form I-751 based on marriage entered in good faith but terminated through divorce.

• A check for $590 from my checking account.

• A copy of my permanent resident card.

• A copy of my marriage certificate.

• A copy of the divorce decree and case notice. (oh well I thought it was the correct paper)

• A copy of the lease for ... Hamden CT and a copy of the lease release and security deposit refund to us by the lease holder when we moved from Connecticut to New York in mid June 2011. Copies of some of the rent receipts.

• A copy of the lease for ... New York NY and a copy of the lease addendum when .. left me. Copy of some of the rent receipts.

• Pictures from when we were dating (Summer 2008-May 2010).

• Pictures from after we got married, including pictures of a pet we bought together in September 2011 that now lives with me.

• Seat requests and boarding passes from when we went to Disneyland (July 2011).

• Sworn affidavit from ...(my brother-in-law).

• Sworn affidavit from ... (friend).

• Renters insurance for our apartment ... Hamden CT.

• Car insurance ID cards and agreements for our cars in both of our names for both addresses (Hamden CT and Bronx NY).

• Health insurance ID card.

• Dental insurance ID card.

• Credit and debit cards from joint accounts we had together. All the accounts we had together have been closed after the divorce in March 2012.

• Copy of holiday cards and letters that we wrote each other and his parents wrote to us, miscellaneous correspondence and cards from others to us.

• Copy of 2010 joint tax return.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I believe that they will send an RFE requesting the proper documentation. I don't think you need to worry since you have already requested the papers you need. Just be ready to send them in as soon as the RFE arrives. You shouldn't need to worry about being denied outright especially since you obviously sent in what you thought would be enough. It sounds like you sent some good evidence. Maybe try to get more evidence of joint bank accounts, credit cards accounts, etc. just in case they request that kind of thing in the RFE as well. Good luck with the rest of your process!

Edited by menina
event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

They'll just RFE you for it. Don't worry about it. A lot of people file the divorce waiver without the decree when their divorce isn't final yet.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Try and get a rush copy from the court, as soon as it is approved.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.