jose_leti

WIFE CHANGING HER LAST NAME

9 posts in this topic

We finally got married. when we go to get social security card should wife change her last name to mine???

To my mind that is a personal choice that you and your wife need to discuss. IF you decide to have her change her lastname, then you will need a copy of the marriage certficate when going to the SSA office. Some SSA employees are brain dead and will try to tell you that they cannot change the name as it will not match what is in the DHS database. Two options: 1) ask for a supervisor and comlain very loudly that a USC can change their lastname with a marriag certificate so why is it that you cannot, leave and send an e-mail to the head SSA office for assistance, or 2) go get the SSC in her maiden name while you decide if she is going to change it or not and then go back after receiving the SSC with the marriage certiificate and get the name changed (if making a second trip for this I would wait until after the GC arrives so you can get the restriction removed plus you can prove she is a LPR). The important thing is the number.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I think they usually recommend that she does - I've heard that for AOS, they see that as small, but nonetheless, evidence of a bonafide marriage.

The same day my husband went to get a SSN I went as well to change my own last name. Two birds with one stone! :thumbs:

Ultimately of course, it is a personal choice.

Edited by Alex&Manny

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I think they usually recommend that she does - I've heard that for AOS, they see that as small, but nonetheless, evidence of a bonafide marriage.

The same day my husband went to get a SSN I went as well to change my own last name. Two birds with one stone! :thumbs:

Ultimately of course, it is a personal choice.

No changing last name doesn't mean anything. it is neither a negative or a positive because you could easily change it back on divorce... doesn't prove anything.

We finally got married. when we go to get social security card should wife change her last name to mine???

If she wants to. It doesn't matter to immigration. Gary&Alla for example, his wife didn't change her name to his until she filed for N400. It was never a problem.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No changing last name doesn't mean anything. it is neither a negative or a positive because you could easily change it back on divorce... doesn't prove anything.

If she wants to. It doesn't matter to immigration. Gary&Alla for example, his wife didn't change her name to his until she filed for N400. It was never a problem.

Hence, 'ultimately it's a personal choice.'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hence, 'ultimately it's a personal choice.'

Yes, but you also stated "I've heard that for AOS, they see that as small, but nonetheless, evidence of a bonafide marriage." which is wrong. They don't give a fig.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Might be a little too late to answer your question, But she can keep her name. I don't think it's a problem at all. My wife kept her name intact and it was never put in question. We'll only at the Social Security office, a clerk told me that if she's my wife then she must bear my last name. I had to school that lady saying that it's state law that a woman may opt for keeping her name, but obviously this was a lady that couldn't do her job right. But at USCIS we never encountered a problem.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We filed using my wifes maiden name, but at our interview changed her last to a middle and used mine as a last and the green card came as the IO typed her new name. Upon receipt of the green we went to SS and changed her name to reflect the GC name and at the same time they issued a new card with the married name and the work restrictions wording was removed automatically in the new card.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

It will have to be her choice if she is taking your last name. After our inicial interview of adjustment of status we drove to the Social Security Office and got her SSN card with her married name and INS stamp off. Make sure you are using the last name you used on her inicial file so you dont have any questions from USCIS officer.

Good Luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.