Bad_Daddy

Los Angeles police offer gift cards to take guns off streets

68 posts in this topic

I don't have any reason to feel good or bad about facts and numbers. Numbers don't lie

Ok as far as the crime stats. Let's take Dallas where I live.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Dallas-Texas.html

The violent crime index fell from 788.8 in 2001 to 387.2 in 2010. That's more than a 50% drop in violent crime! I'm not sure how they pulled that off without a gun buy-back program, but they did.

According to the link you posted, it appears the crime rates lowered as Dallas hired approx. 1,000 new law enforcement employees, including over 700 new police officers. Wonder how much that cost? Bet it was quite a bit more than the gun buy back program.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So you launch a program that encourages people to steal other peoples property, for which they can sell to a government fence no questions asked. You think that is genius. ?? Speechless.

file this one under redistribution of wealth, LA style. B-)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

You can break the numbers down however you want, it doesn't change or disprove anything I've posted, which is what you are attempting to do. What does the total amount of gun purchases or total amount of guns in the entire world for that matter, have to do with the fact that 8,000 guns have been taken off the streets of LA and violent crime has dropped by 33% since 2009? Absolutely nothing.

That gun program has about as much to do with violent crime dropping as the price of eggs does.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

According to the link you posted, it appears the crime rates lowered as Dallas hired approx. 1,000 new law enforcement employees, including over 700 new police officers. Wonder how much that cost? Bet it was quite a bit more than the gun buy back program.

That's a very good point. Maybe L.A. should stop wasting money and officer's time on silly buy back programs, and do more to reduce violent crime. That probably wouldn't get them good photo-ops on the 6 pm news though.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

That's a very good point. Maybe L.A. should stop wasting money and officer's time on silly buy back programs, and do more to reduce violent crime. That probably wouldn't get them good photo-ops on the 6 pm news though.

Let's compare notes shall we? LA has bought back approx. 8,000 guns in the last 4 years at about $200 each for a total of $1.6 million and the violent crime rate in LA has dropped 33% since the buyback program began.

I'm going to be real generous with the numbers here. Your hometown of Dallas has hired approx. 1,000 new law enforcement employees in the last ten years at an average cost of, let's just say 50,000 each per year, which is extremely low. In one year alone that's a minimum cost of $50 million dollars, over the ten years since they started hiring the new law enforcement employees, the cost becomes mind numbing. And over ten years Dallas has achieved a 50% drop in violent crime, an overall rate much lower than what LA has done in just 4 years.

Which numbers do you like better? :lol:

Edited by Teddy B

Timeline

Let's compare notes shall we? LA has bought back approx. 8,000 guns in the last 4 years at about $200 each for a total of $1.6 million and the violent crime rate in LA has dropped 33% since the buyback program began.

I'm going to be real generous with the numbers here. Your hometown of Dallas has hired approx. 1,000 new law enforcement employees in the last ten years at an average cost of, let's just say 50,000 each, which is extremely low. In one year alone that's a minimum cost of $50 million dollars, over the ten years since they started hiring the new law enforcement employees, the cost becomes mind numbing. And over ten years Dallas has achieved a 50% drop in violent crime, a rate much lower than LA.

Which numbers do you like better? :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Show me how that buyback program had anything to do with lowering violent crime. You can't.

I like to break the numbers down using YOUR logic. It just seems fair that way somehow. LOL

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/austin/crime/

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/los-angeles/crime/

I think that LA's 5.28 violent crimes per 100000 residents vs. Austin's 4.26 violent crimes per 100000 residents is probably because in Austin guns are bought back by private individuals and put right back on the street and in Los Angeles they are taken off the street. A 25% difference (wow that's a lot isnt it) in violent crime rates (Austin - where gun buybacks went back on the street vs Los Angeles where gun buybacks take guns off the street) doesn't really support your case. Plus the gun shows come through Austin every few weeks. This also contributes to the (is it really 25%? I thought it would be a few percent but dam!) difference in violent crime rates.

You people are being herded like sheep.

You can break the numbers down however you want, it doesn't change or disprove anything I've posted, which is what you are attempting to do. What does the total amount of gun purchases or total amount of guns in the entire world for that matter, have to do with the fact that 8,000 guns have been taken off the streets of LA and violent crime has dropped by 33% since 2009? Absolutely nothing.

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

I like to break the numbers down using YOUR logic. It just seems fair that way somehow. LOL

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/austin/crime/

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/los-angeles/crime/

I think that LA's 5.28 violent crimes per 100000 residents vs. Austin's 4.26 violent crimes per 100000 residents is probably because in Austin guns are bought back by private individuals and put right back on the street and in Los Angeles they are taken off the street. A 25% difference (wow that's a lot isnt it) in violent crime rates (Austin - where gun buybacks went back on the street vs Los Angeles where gun buybacks take guns off the street) doesn't really support your case. Plus the gun shows come through Austin every few weeks. This also contributes to the (is it really 25%? I thought it would be a few percent but dam!) difference in violent crime rates.

You people are being herded like sheep.

I have no idea what you are attempting to compare. Is there something in there that disputes the fact that since 2009 LA has bought back approx. 8,000 guns and that violent crime has also fallen 33%? If not, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Timeline

I have no idea what you are attempting to compare. Is there something in there that disputes the fact that since 2009 LA has bought back approx. 8,000 guns and that violent crime has also fallen 33%? If not, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Yeah I was scratching my head as well. Oh well.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

LOL I am sure Compton is so safe now. I would be willing to bet almost everything I own that not one single criminal turned in a gun that was his, that was in any kind of decent shape. . I am sure quite a few were stolen.

Most of these weapons are either stolen which cannot be pawned (cashed) or have been used in some crime and good way to get rid of them.

Then there are some who have a weapon in the home passed on in the family and now no one in the family is using them.

There is nothing new about this program, lot of cities have been doing it as well and LA normally does their in May this year they are riding the publicity bandwagon of the shooting and doing it early and getting all the media attention.

Listen carefully so you can get it

I am highlighting the 25% lower violent crime rates in Austin, Tx, where buybacks are done by private citizens and guns are returned to private citizens to violent crime rates in Los Angeles where they have removed 8000 guns off the streets using buyback programs.

Summary: Removal of guns from the streets results in 25% higher violent crime rate than doing nothing at all LOL. That might be labelled as "success" on your planet but it isn't "success" anywhere else. I guess you gun control people ARE scratching your friggin heads LOL

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

Listen carefully so you can get it

I am highlighting the 25% lower violent crime rates in Austin, Tx, where buybacks are done by private citizens and guns are returned to private citizens to violent crime rates in Los Angeles where they have removed 8000 guns off the streets using buyback programs.

Summary: Removal of guns from the streets results in 25% higher violent crime rate than doing nothing at all LOL. That might be labelled as "success" on your planet but it isn't "success" anywhere else. I guess you gun control people ARE scratching your friggin heads LOL

I'm scratching my head alright, but it has nothing to do with gun control. Maybe you should try typing a little slower, then maybe I'll get what you're trying to say. :wacko: