crisjerm

is letters from ma families necessary

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Compliments of seasons to ma Vjay members....I pray God grant us our heart desires....I was wondering if its necessary to get letters from ma families concerning them being aware of ma marriage....I met my love for the first time in london and after we met he went back to Nigeria and I went back home and filed a k-1 visa....in which he was denied...one of the questions the CO kept hammering on was av I been to Nigeria...

That's that though....my worries is

Now we are married and I want to know if its necessary to get letters from my mom n sisters of their awareness of my marriage as part of the docs to send to NVC....I really don't want anything to go wrong....I noticed if u follow their simple instructions its never enough....please feel free to add any advice u can add...

God bless

Edited by crisjerm

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Compliments of seasons to ma Vjay members....I pray God grant us our heart desires....I was wondering if its necessary to get letters from ma families concerning them being aware of ma marriage....I met my love for the first time in london and after we met he went back to Nigeria and I went back home and filed a k-1 visa....in which he was denied...one of the questions the CO kept hammering on was av I been to Nigeria...

That's that though....my worries is

Now we are married and I want to know if its necessary to get letters from my mom n sisters of their awareness of my marriage as part of the docs to send to NVC....I really don't want anything to go wrong....I noticed if u follow their simple instructions its never enough....please feel free to add any advice u can add...

God bless

Nigeria is one of the toughest places to deal with from what I have seen. In my opinion these letters are worthless because they could be written by anyone that can say anything about any subject.

As long as you are legally able to marry what difference does it make if others are aware you did so? If you mean that the CO will see that people in Nigeria know you are married I dont know how that will help.

The most difficult problem with Nigeria is the incredible level of fraud. It exceeds that of my own country by far. Your marrige cert should suffice to prove you are married. What else do you have to prove the relationship is what it should be?

Timeline

Thanks for the response.....honestly the level of fraud has affected so many legit people....we have lots of pictures and also emails n phone records....I just want to make sure there is no loose....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks for the response.....honestly the level of fraud has affected so many legit people....we have lots of pictures and also emails n phone records....I just want to make sure there is no loose....

Well first have you addressed the first issue of going to Nigeria? Have you meet his family and friends and have the pictures to prove it? That is very key for a successful approval is time together and meeting their family.

Affidavits yes are secondary evidence but for Nigeria its looked at a bit different. I am sure no one has been denied because they had no affidavits, but they do show openness and that others know.. Not a scam marriage where it is secret with a scam marriage ceremony with fake people (yes it has happened and still does).

Sure for Canada and London a marriage certificate is usually all they need to prove a Bona Fide marriage, But lets be real Nigeria is not in that category. Whenever you can show, who ever can add to "yes we know and we approve" Why wouldn't you include that.

I mean look at it this way it sure wouldn't hurt and I would attach there picture to affidavit and get them notarized. It's not required but hey why not.

And since you have had a denial I would strongly suggest if you didn't include write up a relationship timeline. It really will help and they can see on a page or two whats been happening. The evolution if you will of your relationship. This is Lagos. Front-load at the USCIS and load up some more at NVC.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread shifted from the CR-1 Case Progress subforum to the main CR-1 Process forum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yes whil anyone can write an affidavit, i would suggest you add what you can to show bonafide of your relationship. I had my mom, sister and his sister write an affidaavit sworn at court for us which we sent to USCIS. we were approved last week and I plan to add more docs at the NVC stage in prep for his interview.You already said that following their simple instructions does not seem to be enough so go that extra mile to make ur case stronger.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Timeline

I would definetly add affidavits from USC family and Nigerian family to prove that there is a relationship there and the families are aware of it. If the families are not aware of it then it may look like a scam marriage to them... sorry by them I mean the embassy in Nigeria

Edited by memlaura

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Yes I would sure add affidavits to it this time around....I met his families..n friends....I'm going to give it all ma best time around....habakuk 2:3....

Timeline

where did you meet his family and friends? hope you have been to Nigeria to see. considering the fact that you have been denied on k1, your case may attract more scrutiny so give it your best shot. take multiple trips to Naija if possible during the process, take pictures and try to make sure they look natural, like you two attending fucntions and ceremonies in the midst of friends and families, they shd not look like pics that were posed for to give an impression,

keep all your flight boarding passes, email each other often, call often look for possible means to show you co mingle finances etc. if you have a place you stay together in lagos, can you get something that mentions both your names as occupants?

there is this moroccan lady on Vj (wanttknow) who had her I-130 denied in october after their k1 was denied previously. USCIS detailed reasons for the denial and mentioned how they think their marriage, pics submitted and recently opened bank accounts etc were done for immgration purpose after the K-1 denial. Such IS NOT YOUR PORTION in Jesus name , we just learn from others' experience.

Edited by ndu26

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

where did you meet his family and friends? hope you have been to Nigeria to see. considering the fact that you have been denied on k1, your case may attract more scrutiny so give it your best shot. take multiple trips to Naija if possible during the process, take pictures and try to make sure they look natural, like you two attending fucntions and ceremonies in the midst of friends and families, they shd not look like pics that were posed for to give an impression,

keep all your flight boarding passes, email each other often, call often look for possible means to show you co mingle finances etc. if you have a place you stay together in lagos, can you get something that mentions both your names as occupants?

there is this moroccan lady on Vj (wanttknow) who had her I-130 denied in october after their k1 was denied previously. USCIS detailed reasons for the denial and mentioned how they think their marriage, pics submitted and recently opened bank accounts etc were done for immgration purpose after the K-1 denial. Such IS NOT YOUR PORTION in Jesus name , we just learn from others' experience.

thanks so much....denial is not our portion...amen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.