California14

Does a person who has domestic violence can get visa K1?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Dear All of members...

I just join in VJ because i concern about my visa k1 process. Im Novel from Indonesia. I and my fiance will submitt fiancee visa in this Feb'2013.

First we wanted to submitt the petition in Dec'12 but because he cant get his police record until Jan 20, so we postpone till it completes.

My question: Is it possible for us to get visa K1? because his criminal background. He has domestic violence in WA and drug problem in OR.

Also we will use co-sponsor because his income doesnt meet with the qualification. He has works part time and has financial aid from his collage.

Will the USCIS look his work in the past?

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Dear All of members...

I just join in VJ because i concern about my visa k1 process. Im Novel from Indonesia. I and my fiance will submitt fiancee visa in this Feb'2013.

First we wanted to submitt the petition in Dec'12 but because he cant get his police record until Jan 20, so we postpone till it completes.

My question: Is it possible for us to get visa K1? because his criminal background. He has domestic violence in WA and drug problem in OR.

Also we will use co-sponsor because his income doesnt meet with the qualification. He has works part time and has financial aid from his collage.

Thank you.

The domestic violence will be a problem, I believe it is one type of offenses that prevents US citizens from petitioning for alien fiancees. I don't mean to be judgmental, but...are you sure you want to marry this guy?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Dear All of members...

Thank you.

Hi Novel.

First, if you submit the petition in December (this month) you are unlikely to get it approved/denied for about 6 months (sometimes longer, very occasionally earlier) so you would not get the visa by February. You are best case looking at August 2013.

Second, the criminal background will almost definitely be an issue. I'm sure some people here on VJ will be able to advise you on that.

Third, some embassies accept a co-sponsor and others do not. It is entirely dependent on the embassy you are interviewing at. He will still need to submit the proper income/financial forms at the interview regardless of whether or not he meets the requirements.

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

Timeline

The domestic violence will be a problem, I believe it is one type of offenses that prevents US citizens from petitioning for alien fiancees. I don't mean to be judgmental, but...are you sure you want to marry this guy?

Fisrt let me explain, he got domestic violence in 2006 because he had argument with his ex gf. His ex gf pushed him to the wall and he pushed back the girl. The girl has a bi-polar mental. after he arrasted he still came to that girl and argued again and arrasted again because the girl called police again. His problem wasnt hard.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Fisrt let me explain, he got domestic violence in 2006 because he had argument with his ex gf. His ex gf pushed him to the wall and he pushed back the girl. The girl has a bi-polar mental. after he arrasted he still came to that girl and argued again and arrasted again because the girl called police again. His problem wasnt hard.

Seriously? Just asking. :unsure:

What about the his drug problem/case?

I think you may want to seek an immigration lawyer's advice on his cases.

Timeline

Hi Novel.

First, if you submit the petition in December (this month) you are unlikely to get it approved/denied for about 6 months (sometimes longer, very occasionally earlier) so you would not get the visa by February. You are best case looking at August 2013.

Second, the criminal background will almost definitely be an issue. I'm sure some people here on VJ will be able to advise you on that.

Third, some embassies accept a co-sponsor and others do not. It is entirely dependent on the embassy you are interviewing at. He will still need to submit the proper income/financial forms at the interview regardless of whether or not he meets the requirements.

I have emailled embassy of U.S in Indonesia and they accept co-sponsor. but i am still confuse about the financial evidence. Do we need to submitt the financial evidence and co-sponsor in our 129F petition? because he called USCIS and they said if in the instruction "ya" we must but if "no" we dont. And also the USCIS said maybe there is a chance so if they need the financial evidence and we dont attach with the 129F they will send back our petition or deny the petition.

So should i submitt the financial evidence with the 129F together?

Timeline

i knew why he got domestic violence. his domestic violence is minor. he got cause argued with his ex gf in 2006.

and he is a nice guy. i know him very well. i have known for 2 years.

Any of members in VJ who had gotten K1 visa or while in processing has criminal background wants to share their experience?.

I just want to know.

Thank u

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

his domestic violence will most likely be an issue so its best you at least consult with immigration lawyer so you can be prepared with options to face a possible denial

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Timeline

Seriously? Just asking. :unsure:

What about the his drug problem/case?

I think you may want to seek an immigration lawyer's advice on his cases.

seriously of what?

the drug problem happened in 2009. he was arrested when he used weed with his friend and his friend's gf in his car.

the criminal history will give bad influence for our petition?

USCIS will be looking the court records and police records right?

If you want to pursue this, your fiancé will need to meet with an immigration attorney to attempt to mitigate the strikes against him -- drug charges, domestic violence, and he can't meet the poverty guideline requirement. Be sure he reads through the I-129F instructions and answers honestly about his past. Part one of this process is reviewing the US Citizen to ensure they're eligible to petition.

Also, have you two actually met in person?

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

his domestic violence will most likely be an issue so its best you at least consult with immigration lawyer so you can be prepared with options to face a possible denial

the domestic violence wasnt hard or bad. it just because aurgued with his ex gf and the girl pushed him so he pusshed back that girl.

I think courd record can explain the history to USCIS right?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

yes novel but giving that explanation is not just about sending court records in to USCIS. That is where a lawyer can assist you. At least do a consultation then proceed.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Timeline

If you want to pursue this, your fiancé will need to meet with an immigration attorney to attempt to mitigate the strikes against him -- drug charges, domestic violence, and he can't meet the poverty guideline requirement. Be sure he reads through the I-129F instructions and answers honestly about his past. Part one of this process is reviewing the US Citizen to ensure they're eligible to petition.

yes we have. he has came to my country twice or once every year.

Our relationship has in 2 years now.

And about the 129F, he will attach police records and court records. Is it enough?

yes we have. he has came to my country twice or once every year.

Our relationship has in 2 years now.

And about the 129F, he will attach police records and court records. Is it enough?

Again, he will need to meet with an immigration attorney. VJ is primarily for people who can handle this process on their own. Your case is clearly not something that should be done without consulting with an immigration attorney.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

:thumbs:

yes novel but giving that explanation is not just about sending court records in to USCIS. That is where a lawyer can assist you. At least do a consultation then proceed.

:thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.