Asgardian

212 (d) (3) approved - 10 years

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I applied for a nonimmigrant waiver in conjunction with a B2 visa application. The waiver was recommended for approval and after 10 months I got the visa. It's great and I am thrilled and super happy with the approval! But, I'd like to know you guys' opinion on one fact of this visa+waiver.

It's a B1/B2, I only asked for a B2, but that is great.

It's valid for 10 years.

I don't know if you guys are aware of the law, but these waivers are only supposed to be valid for up to 5 years. Most nonimmigrant waivers are valid for 1 year only - especially first time applicants like me. The law is clear when it says that waivers cannot be valid for more than 5 years. It also says that the visa needs to be in accordance with the waiver validity. My questions are - and I'm just looking for your opinions on this, hoping there's a similar case:

1. Have you guys ever seen a nonimmigrant waiver valid for 10 years?

2. Do you think that consulate gave me a 'regular' 10-year visa, but my waiver approved by ARO may just be valid for a year?

N-400

April 25, 2018 - Interview in Jacksonville, FL

May 24, 2018 - Oath Ceremony

I-130 for Mom

May 24, 2018 - Mailed I-130 for mom via UPS One-Day shipping

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It depends on what the waiver is for- it may be for something that expires within the 5 years, so no waiver would be needed later.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are correct that 1 year would be normal in your situation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

?

There is no application form.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Can you explain a little bit more,how do we apply for this waiver?

Are you related to the OP or are you asking for yourself? If the later, please start your own topic giving us background of why you need a waiver and what type of visa you are applying for so we can advice you.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

The CO otherwise willing to grant a visa would recommend one.

It depends on what the waiver is for- it may be for something that expires within the 5 years, so no waiver would be needed later.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, it is for something that expires in 3 years - unlawful presence ban. Great point.

May I ask you what type of ban did you get? and could you please provide me the link to this 212(d)(3) application form,thanks

Unlawful presence ban, 10-years ban. You just apply for the visa you want and along with it you introduce the waiver package, there's no form. There's a lot of info on the web if you look for 212 d 3 nonimmigrant waiver. Look for lawyers websites, they explain really well.

N-400

I-130 for Mom

Please beaware, getting the visa is only one step, now you have to get past CPB.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Any visa is a first step´, no one is guaranteed entrance. Even someone that is going for the first time and has no immigration history can be sent home if there are suspicious activities. I am definetelty concerned because a waiver annotation is something they will take a closer look at. But again, it's a genuine trip and I find it positive that the waiver was approved and hopefully it'll go smoothly with CBP. Thanks for the input.

N-400

I-130 for Mom

Timeline

It would be unlikely for the POE to second guess the Consulate. I have never come across it anyway.

It would be unlikely for the POE to second guess the Consulate. I have never come across it anyway.

Excuse me, but they do it every day. There are many who arrive upon with a valid visa, but they are turned back.

Timeline

Excuse me, but they do it every day. There are many who arrive upon with a valid visa, but they are turned back.

Not sure how many are approved. Can not be that many. But I have never seen the Consulate overridden.

I can only remember one 601 causing problems.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.