griffy

Moving to the US

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My lady and I have been discussing the best way to ship her stuff from Russia to the US. Obviously we are trying to find the least expensive and safest way. I would rather ship some of her stuff than have her take 4 bags on the plan. Also she wants to buy her dress in russia and bring it here. It probably is not practical to take it on the plane. They tend to be large as you all know. It may be practical to ship it here as well. We have had good experience shipping stuff so far here, but we have not tried to actually ship anything of great volume. Anyone with experience in getting stuff from Russia to here would be great!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Off Topic to Russia, Ukraine, & Belarus regional forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Its easier to ship things.tell her that she should go to Почто and tell them she would like to send her things by express , then they will weigh it, and then help her ship it to the address given to them and it will be express , in 2 weeks time you will receive it no matter how big all the stuffs are. also is not expensive, the last time i sent to a friend in Maryland a heavy stuffs, like 13kg , i used 7400p to send it

Timeline

Ship it. But also buying a dress in Russia is dumb, because it will be a million times cheaper in the US. Tell her to watch Say Yes to the Dress on vk.

I do not agree with you that it is stupid for her to buy a dress in Russia. Anything I can do to make her transition easier is a good thing. In regards to cost,she is able to get them for a great price

since her mother owns a clothing store and is able to get them at a lower cost. In addition they tend to be more unique than the dresses here in the states.

I agree we should ship it. I guess I should have been more specific. The Russian postal service is not the most reliable service. We are looking for something that is less expensive and reliable. It does not need

to arrive when she does. We are looking for an inexpensive alternative to additional bags on the flight or shipping by russian post. It does get pricey for a large box of clothes etc. I have heard of a service called excesse baggage but I do not know much about them.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

If her mother owns a clothing store, that's a different story, I suppose. Clothes are MUCH more expensive in Russia. And, well, "unique" is one way to put it.

Less expensive--does not exist. It WILL get there with Pochta Rossiya; it just won't get there FAST. Also I think there is more issue with things coming into Russia than going out.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You're absolutely right that it's not stupid to want to bring clothing with you from Russia. Your lady, being Russian, will either not like the quality of the cheaper American clothing (dresses made of polyster instead of cotton, synthetic instead of leather-lined shoes, etc.), or she'll say she can't find the quality/style of clothing she desires. So yes, I think you're right to want to bring her clothing with you. Now, for other items, like towels, sheets, glasses, teacups, irons, etc., I don't think you should waste the pounds in your luggage or money to ship them. You can find quality items like these much cheaper in the US. Pretty much women's clothing, shoes, boots, etc. are all you need to bring with you to avoid heartache. DID I MENTION BOOTS AND SHOES!? Make sure you bring these or you'll go broke in the US wishing you had!

If you really really want to ship items and you don't want to use Russian post (and I know why you wouldn't), you can try this: set up a business account with DHL (just say you've got a small business or something, like through EBay) and they'll give you one month of reducing shipping costs, I think 10% off. Even with the 10% off shipping is really expensive, but if you've gotta ship, DHL will be the cheapest of the overnight companies.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

LOLWhut. Where are you taking your wife shopping in the US if all you find is polyester? For what you pay for midrange brands in Russia, you can get ready-to-wear in the US.

I got a new winter coat in Russia a couple of weeks ago and the exact same one is 70$ cheaper in the US.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ship it. But also buying a dress in Russia is dumb, because it will be a million times cheaper in the US. Tell her to watch Say Yes to the Dress on vk.

I'm gonna have to side with eekee here... it's stupid cheap Stateside compared to Russia...

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

I don't mean to tell the OP what to do since there is much more going on with a wedding dress than where you can get the cheapest, or even best quality, dress (in addition to all of the personal, family, and relationship issues, you also have to deal with fitting and lead times). However, anyone who thinks that Russia beats the US for clothing shopping in quality or price either shops only at Walmart or doesn't realize that Russian markets are full of cheap #######. You can find quality clothing in both countries and it will be cheaper in the US (often 50% or more cheaper).

In terms of shipping, I would second that I have never heard of problems shipping things from Russia to US by the post office. The other way around is another story, of course. If you want something else, you can go to DHL but it will cost you more. Keep in mind that the cheapest shipping option from Russia at the post office is by boat and could take several months. There are probably other options available for shipments as opposed to packages, but I am not familiar with those and they probably aren't worth the hassle unless we are talking about a truck's worth of stuff. For a few boxes I recommend the post office.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My wife CAN NOT find jeans that fit her properly here in the US.

And properly fit must be seen to be understood.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife CAN NOT find jeans that fit her properly here in the US.

And properly fit must be seen to be understood.

Baron,

To be honest, I cannot relate to that... My wife has not had any issues finding jeans that fit her "properly" (whatever that means in a demented mind of a RUB woman)

Edited by Martyshk

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Right on baron555, I was worried everyone else here on the forum had managed to find the ONLY fat and/or homely women in Russia! If your woman is attractive and actually Russian/Eastern European, she:

1. Has a smaller body/frame and wears mainly petite sizes

2. Likes boots/shoes that are flush to the calf (=narrow) and will not like the American-style boots/shoes that are wider than the calf

3. Likes fully leather ("kozhanny") shoes

4. Likes sexy/frilly/unusual panty hose

5. Likes bikini bottoms that are very open like string bikinis

Number one means your lady will have trouble finding her size even when she shops at Ann Taylor, Lord 'n Taylor, or another nice clothing store. There are more size 12+ women in America than size 0, petite, XXS, etc. It's a matter of supply and demand.

Number two is big for winter/fall boots so you'll either have limited selection or will be looking in stores like European boutiques.

Number three means while you might find nice shoes in the nice stores and might find your girl's size, it'll be even tougher to find the trifecta of leather sole/lining/upper. Hell I have this same problem looking for men's dress shoes - you find a great pair but then you see that the sole is rubber :(

Numbers four and five also mean you'll be looking online, in boutiques, or in specialty stores for clothes. In case no one noticed Americans are prudish which makes items like these almost impossible to find in our stores. The closest Victoria's Secret gets to selling a string bikini is as I recall a "tanga," whatever that means.

The main thing to understand is that Russian clothes themselves aren't of better quality. The European clothing is the sexy stuff that Russian ladies show so well, and this clothing is if not cheaper much more accessible given Russia's proximity to Western Europe. Anybody who has been to Moscow or another big Russian city has noticed this so the haters on here are either dressing their wives frumpy to scare away other men or live in NYC and shop on Fifth Avenue.

The OP may indeed want to ship the wedding dress b/c of other details. If he does go by Russian Post he should ship from Petersburg, Moscow, or another big city. If he ships from the regions yes the package will be fine from Russia to the US but it's anyone's guess what happens to the package on its way from the regions to the big city before it's even sent off by air or boat shipped to the US.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Right on baron555, I was worried everyone else here on the forum had managed to find the ONLY fat and/or homely women in Russia! If your woman is attractive and actually Russian/Eastern European, she:

1. Has a smaller body/frame and wears mainly petite sizes

2. Likes boots/shoes that are flush to the calf (=narrow) and will not like the American-style boots/shoes that are wider than the calf

3. Likes fully leather ("kozhanny") shoes

4. Likes sexy/frilly/unusual panty hose

5. Likes bikini bottoms that are very open like string bikinis

Number one means your lady will have trouble finding her size even when she shops at Ann Taylor, Lord 'n Taylor, or another nice clothing store. There are more size 12+ women in America than size 0, petite, XXS, etc. It's a matter of supply and demand.

Number two is big for winter/fall boots so you'll either have limited selection or will be looking in stores like European boutiques.

Number three means while you might find nice shoes in the nice stores and might find your girl's size, it'll be even tougher to find the trifecta of leather sole/lining/upper. Hell I have this same problem looking for men's dress shoes - you find a great pair but then you see that the sole is rubber :(

Numbers four and five also mean you'll be looking online, in boutiques, or in specialty stores for clothes. In case no one noticed Americans are prudish which makes items like these almost impossible to find in our stores. The closest Victoria's Secret gets to selling a string bikini is as I recall a "tanga," whatever that means.

The main thing to understand is that Russian clothes themselves aren't of better quality. The European clothing is the sexy stuff that Russian ladies show so well, and this clothing is if not cheaper much more accessible given Russia's proximity to Western Europe. Anybody who has been to Moscow or another big Russian city has noticed this so the haters on here are either dressing their wives frumpy to scare away other men or live in NYC and shop on Fifth Avenue.

The OP may indeed want to ship the wedding dress b/c of other details. If he does go by Russian Post he should ship from Petersburg, Moscow, or another big city. If he ships from the regions yes the package will be fine from Russia to the US but it's anyone's guess what happens to the package on its way from the regions to the big city before it's even sent off by air or boat shipped to the US.

VS sells string bikini panties...just google ”string bikini victoria secrets.” They've got boat loads of string bikini panties. Tanga panties are like a semi-thong...a little more coverage in the front with a little more cheek showing in the back. Good luck on your search...cute knickers always make a great stocking stuffer!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.