amino

After Naturalization

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Both. Don't do what I did, I was young and clueless and only got my US passport without updating my SSN information after i received my naturalization document. I only realized this when I went with my wife to update her information.

Filed: Other Timeline

If you want to do it "right," do the SSA thingi first.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

If you want to do it "right," do the SSA thingi first.

It dont matter what to first!! i got my pasport first than i took it with me to the Social Security Office and i update it, than 5 days later i got the New Card, Good luck.

It dont matter what to first!! i got my pasport first than i took it with me to the Social Security Office and i update it, than 5 days later i got the New Card, Good luck.

Do I need to give the original Naturalization Certificate?

They will make a copy of it, so make sure you get the original back. When you get your first passport, you will need to mail the original.

Hi amino, when you apply for your pasport send the original Certificate, than they will mail it back to you after you get your pasport, and when you go to the Social Security office take with you Pasport or Certificate either one works, when i went to ipdate my SS i took my pasport and he update it online it took 15 mints thats all, Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malta
Timeline

Why do you have to update your SS? even those that kept same name have to do so?

N400 sent : 2012-10-27

Check Cashed : 2012-11-05

Bio Appointment : 2012-11-23

Walk-In Biometrics : 2012-11-14

Interview Appointment : 2013-04-12

Approved : 2013-04-12

Oath Ceremony : 2013-06-28

as1cCET0g410010MjA0MDk1c3wwMTMxbHxTaW5jZ

I would advice first update SSN with your original naturalization certificate in local office.

Then apply for US passport, where original naturalization certificate will be filed with application.

Of course, they will mail it(naturalization certificate) back to you once your passport is issued :)

02/09/2010 - Married
05/02/2012 - I-130 sent for my wife and kids
05/09/2012 - NOA1 hard copy received
10/18/2012 - Became a USC and called USCIS to upgrade cases to IR-1/CR-1
10/22/2012 - Got the notice of case upgrade to IR-1
01/29/2013 - NOA2 email

NVC:
02/04/2013: NVC Received
02/22/2013: BOG number/IIN
02/22/2013: Choice of Agent email sent
02/26/2013: AOS bill invoiced
02/26/2013: AOS bill paid
03/06/2013: AOS bill shows PAID
03/07/2013: Choice of Agent email accepted
03/07/2013: IV bill invoiced
03/13/2013: IV bill paid
03/23/2013: IV bill shows PAID
04/01/2013: AOS package sent
04/01/2013: IV package sent
04/17/2013: RFE for AOS package, requested form I-864W
04/18/2013: Sent RFE back to NVC
05/02/2013: Case complete
05/13/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy/Consulate:
05/21/2012: Embassy received
06/05/2013: Medical
06/26/2013: Interview
06/27/2013: Visa in hand
07/03/2013: POE WAS, VA

08/07/2013: Permanent residence card arrived

Filed: Timeline

Good Day!I would like to ask if what should I do first,get a passport or change my Social Security?

Thank you.

You can choose whichever makes you feel comfortable with. It makes no difference though. However, if you apply for the passport first then you will not have your original naturalization certificate with you for next 10-16 days and there might be a 1% risk involved in losing your original naturalization certificate either by Dept. of State or in the mail as it does happen. So if I were you, I would first update my address with the Social Security Administration and also register to vote which could be done in one day, and then apply for the passport especially when I'm not traveling so soon. You can do all these in one day, but applying for the passport sould be last choir on that day then.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hubby became a Citizen last week Wednesday. Today he brought his old social with his Naturalization certificate/Name Change and went to the SS administration office & DMV. We had no problems getting that done at all. He even registered to vote too. Next he will go to our bank & do the name change, then post office & our jobs... then we will get the US passport.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Opened up the pfd SS-5 fillable form on my computer for my wife and stepdaughter, unchecked legal alien allowed to work and checked the US citizen box. Changed the date at the bottom, and had them sign it. Drove over to my SS office, suppose to open at 8:00 AM but more like ten minutes later, was the first in line. Showed them their certificates, would take a nice color copy I made, copied it on their own dirty copy machine. Was done in about two minutes, a week or two later, they received their new cards.

Was no problem in dropping my wife's maiden name she thought she had to use in this country. Number always stays the same. Already had the SS-5 prepared before their oath ceremony.

Same for the DS-11, had taken their passport photos, and that was all filled out, except they had to show up in person. We used are clerk of court, all the required evidence was prepared before hand and the form filled out before their oath ceremony, again we got their at 8:00 AM, first in line, and had a protective plastic envelop for their certificates. Paid extra for my wife's passport for expedient service, but hers came in about the same time as my stepdaughter wasn't in any rush. Wife's certificate came back in that protective plastic envelop, but the DOS swiped my stepdaughter's, but did come back in a plain brown envelop with no damage.

Since we live in a partial rural area, installed a much larger mailbox so they wouldn't have to bend it. Have no idea what they do with your certificate in those tiny apartment type mailboxes. Also good friends with my mailman.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I believe they recommend 10 days after naturalization before going to the SSA office. I applied for the passport book the day after my Oath as I figured SS can wait a little while its always a good idea to have a passport handy at all times just in case you need to travel abroad urgently. I do plan to update the SSA soon after I've received my passport book and card and naturalization cert back. It is in dire need of update as my SS card still says 'work with INS authorization only' harking back to my student days in the late '90s. Yes, I never updated my SS card after becoming and being a GC holder for the last 9 years :bonk:

07/14/12 - N400 Fedex'd Out

07/16/12 - Received

07/18/12 - Date on NOA1

07/19/12 - Text/Email Receipt of Docs Received

07/25/12 - Date on Biometrics Letter

08/01/12 - Early Biometrics Walk-in Done

08/21/12 - Date on NOA2

08/22/12 - Original Scheduled Biometrics Appointment

09/27/12 - USC Interview

10/23/12 - Oath Letter Received

11/14/12 - Oath Ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.