S and R

Unable to open joint bank accounts

8 posts in this topic

I know this is personal but I'd like some advice from those who have experienced a similar situation:

We have failed to open joint checking accounts due to my wife's history of collections. I have so far spent $7,500 clearing her unpaid debts but we were not approved, and yesterday we tried a Credit Union only to find out that she has $270 unpaid! I cleared that as well just because of the risk of not having a joint bank account (financial co-mingling) for ROC in a year's time is scaring me. The Credit Union now says it has to be 12 months after the last debt clearance before she can qualify for a joint checking account.

How did you go about the joint account issue or lack of, with this journey to removing conditions? The excessive debt is just that. There is nothing I can do about it. For the next 3 months, 100% of her paycheck is going to clear an overdraft with another bank......We are living off my savings mostly, I managed to open an account in my name and transferred the savings over.

Have you tried going to a completely new bank and open a joint checking account? There is usually no issue at all, debt or no debt.

Not necessarily, thanks to ChexSystems.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If you can't show your documentation, that you are unable to do so due to her credit rating, the truth is what it is.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My exwife and her husband had the same problem . They were able to open a checking account at Bank of America. Its worth a chance . Another bank that was willing to help them was Union Bank of California. There are a few banks out there but it takes work to find the ones not using Chexsystems and credit checks. Heres a link to try. Cabt guarantee it will work but it did for them. Hope it helps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4572847_have-been-reported-chex-systems.html

I-129F K1 Visa

06/04/12- I-129F mailed USPS Priority

06/06/12- USPS Delivery Confirmation

06/11/12- Received Text & Email notification for NOA1

06/11/12- Official NOA1 date on hardcopy

06/12/12- USCIS cashed check

06/14/12- Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail

09/09/12- Received Text/Email NOA2

09/12/12- NVC received

09/13/12- NVC issued case #

09/14/12- NVC Left for USEM

09/17/12- Schelduled Interview

09/21/12- USEM Received case

09/21/12- Received Instruction Letter NVC completed

09/24/12- Medical at St Lukes ( Day 1 Delay started menst :( )

10/01/12- Medical at St Lukes (Day 2 Passed)

10/04/12- CFO seminar completed ( Certificate issued)

10/19/12- Interview USEM (Approved)

10/24/12- USEM issued/released visa to 2GO for delivery

10/25/12- Able to track visa via 2GO website ( *Had to use UID# as tracking #)

10/27/12- Visa received (Quezon City)

12/06/12- POE SFO

A joint account is not a requirement for ROC. Don't worry about it; you have a good reason for not having one. I might keep the rejection letters from the bank and your receipts paying her debts, for a rainy day. For the initial ROC submission, I would just include an explanation. There is no point in worrying. The worst that can happen is they call you for an interview and ask you questions about your lives, which you answer, and that's all.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Yep, we did ROC without a joint account. I wrote a letter and included a copy of the civil judgement a creditor had against me. I just explained that I didn't want to risk his money being taken for a debt I had prior to us meeting.

Yep, we did ROC without a joint account. I wrote a letter and included a copy of the civil judgement a creditor had against me. I just explained that I didn't want to risk his money being taken for a debt I had prior to us meeting.

Thanks for the responses - We'll keep trying for the account while collecting the rejection letters for ROC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.