del-2-5-2014

Question On Back Child Support

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A bit of background, I am current on child support payments but suddenly I allegedly owe back child support. I am paying on the back child support eventhough I disagree with the ploy used by my Ex. I could either give the money to Attorneys to challenge the back child support or just give her the money so I chose to give it to her but in installments. It's for the best interest of the children, right?

Anyways the question is could this come up at the interview in the Embassy?

I know that HR78 died, and thankfully, but I also know that HR89 has been referred to committee. So does "referred to committee" mean that the bill is not yet active and the CO cannot use it as a basis for denial?

Thanks in advance for all intelligent responses.

PS: I ran a search but found only old conversations from 2006.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Back child suport only bothers those that are seriously in arrears and are not on a payment plan. Works almost like owing back taxes. If you are worried you should get a playment plan on record.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Well a few issues to address here. First it is only a bill and is not a law therefore you could not be denied due to it (unless it becomes a law) and according to your link it has about a 2% chance of being passed. Second the arrears would have to be enough to be be certified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services and last time I checked only arrears of more than $5,000 fit this category. Third this would required the child support office with your case actually doing the paperwork to send this information to the Federal Government.

So chances, in my opinion, of it affecting your petition are none at this time.

Well a few issues to address here. First it is only a bill and is not a law therefore you could not be denied due to it (unless it becomes a law) and according to your link it has about a 2% chance of being passed. Second the arrears would have to be enough to be be certified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services and last time I checked only arrears of more than $5,000 fit this category. Third this would required the child support office with your case actually doing the paperwork to send this information to the Federal Government.

So chances, in my opinion, of it affecting your petition are none at this time.

That's what I thought but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I would make sure the court that handled your divorce is aware of the payments

as

they be the one making the report of being in arrears.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I would make sure the court that handled your divorce is aware of the payments

as

they be the one making the report of being in arrears.

Thanks Darnell, it's being paid to the states child support office directly and it's them that reports.

I have no issue with them reporting but I just want to know if it affects my petition via the bill. Upon further research it seems that the bill is not yet law so the CO cannot use that.

Thanks once again.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Disclaimer: I work for Child Support... (albeit the IT section)

Please contact your Support Enforcement Officer and make arrangements with him for arrears payment. Even if the house bills you mention were to pass, they are likely be like the license and passport suspension programs. As such, if you are in cooperation with your child support agency, you would not be referred and this would be a non-issue. If you are already in cooperation, you should have nothing to fear. Your Support Enforcement Officer is also your best resource for this type of question than those of us here on this forum. I hope you have a helpful one... if not, respectfully and politely request to speak to the agency's costumer relations unit... they will be really helpful (given they are approached with the right attitude). Good luck.

Good luck.

Mark

Disclaimer: I work for Child Support... (albeit the IT section)

Please contact your Support Enforcement Officer and make arrangements with him for arrears payment. Even if the house bills you mention were to pass, they are likely be like the license and passport suspension programs. As such, if you are in cooperation with your child support agency, you would not be referred and this would be a non-issue. If you are already in cooperation, you should have nothing to fear. Your Support Enforcement Officer is also your best resource for this type of question than those of us here on this forum. I hope you have a helpful one... if not, respectfully and politely request to speak to the agency's costumer relations unit... they will be really helpful (given they are approached with the right attitude). Good luck.

Good luck.

Mark

A bit of background, I am current on child support payments but suddenly I allegedly owe back child support. I am paying on the back child support eventhough I disagree with the ploy used by my Ex. I could either give the money to Attorneys to challenge the back child support or just give her the money so I chose to give it to her but in installments. It's for the best interest of the children, right?

Anyways the question is could this come up at the interview in the Embassy?

I know that HR78 died, and thankfully, but I also know that HR89 has been referred to committee. So does "referred to committee" mean that the bill is not yet active and the CO cannot use it as a basis for denial?

Thanks in advance for all intelligent responses.

PS: I ran a search but found only old conversations from 2006.

I didn't arrange with them, they just started deducting from my paycheck which is how I found out in the first instance.

I thank you for your advice and I know it comes from a good place but I just want to know if the bill is law or not. I have no desire to do anything with the agency other than to make my timely payments until the kids turn 18.

Thanks once again.

Edited by Gowon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Okay. Even if they just started deductions, contact them and find out what your standing is and make sure you are in some kind of arrangement. They will know exactly what your standing is. FYI for most suspension actions there is generally some sort of threshold (X number of dollars in arrears and Y number of months of non-payment) before actions are taken. These issues tend to vary from state to state (unless specifically mandated by the feds). So contact them and put your fears to rest.

Mark :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the exact same situation as you are. I decided not to give the money to Attorneys to challenge the back child support and give to my ex instead (hopefully it will go to my children). From what I have searched so far this question only comes up if our income minus (debt we owe + child support monthly payment) is greater than the income requirement. The CO can't use child support arrear to deny visa to our fiancée but having know that I am still nervous and worry.

Another piece of info your exiting passport will be revoked if you apply for any type of passport service such as: renew, addition page to a passport; otherwise, your existing passport is still good.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.