8 posts in this topic

Hello fellow VJers!

Here is my situation: I received my Social Security Number while in the US on a J1 visa last summer. I have since received a K1 visa and got married. I have just filed for AOS.

My question is, should I change the name on my SSN card? I assumed it should be in my married name, but I've read that your green card is issued in your maiden name and that your SSN card should match it. So should I wait until I remove conditions and change the name on my GC?

N-400:

Applied online - 7/4/19 

Receipt notice - 7/4/19

Biometrics - 7/25/19

Interview - 9/13/19

Oath Ceremony - 10/11/19

Hello fellow VJers!

Here is my situation: I received my Social Security Number while in the US on a J1 visa last summer. I have since received a K1 visa and got married. I have just filed for AOS.

My question is, should I change the name on my SSN card? I assumed it should be in my married name, but I've read that your green card is issued in your maiden name and that your SSN card should match it. So should I wait until I remove conditions and change the name on my GC?

If you're using your husband's name as your last name, then that's how you apply for the greencard so it will have your new last name on it. Greencard is only in maiden name if that's how you apply for AOS. Social Security will probably want your card to match immigration records. At least our office did. You can do a married name change on the greencard for around $450.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Ah okay. Thanks Nich-Nick!

N-400:

Applied online - 7/4/19 

Receipt notice - 7/4/19

Biometrics - 7/25/19

Interview - 9/13/19

Oath Ceremony - 10/11/19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

What name did you write on the forms? Maiden or married?

Whatever name you wrote on the forms is what will be on your GC/EAD/AP.

Ah okay. Thanks Nich-Nick!

If you didn't apply in the married name, perhaps you can get them to revise it at the interview., if you have an interview. About half don't interview.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I applied in my married name. I had read that your Greencard has your maiden name on it, but I guess that's only if you apply with your maiden name. I'll go ahead and get my SSN card changed now too :)

N-400:

Applied online - 7/4/19 

Receipt notice - 7/4/19

Biometrics - 7/25/19

Interview - 9/13/19

Oath Ceremony - 10/11/19

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I applied in my married name. I had read that your Greencard has your maiden name on it, but I guess that's only if you apply with your maiden name. I'll go ahead and get my SSN card changed now too :)

Possible that you will have to wait for your EAD or GC (whichever comes first) to update your SS card. That's what the SS employee told me (they wanted an immigration document with my married name on it), and what I did. But you can still try to go there with your marriage certificate, passport/visa/I-94, and your NOAs (you just filed, so I would wait to receive it, just in case).

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Thanks didopage! I'll wait for my NOA1.

N-400:

Applied online - 7/4/19 

Receipt notice - 7/4/19

Biometrics - 7/25/19

Interview - 9/13/19

Oath Ceremony - 10/11/19

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.