Sebastiangator

Positive from TB skin test...

78 posts in this topic

I am not a medical person, but can relate to our experience. My wife had a clean Xray, her minor daughter (14 at the time), failed the skin test. They did ot delay her and both were given visas, K1/K2. The issue must have been documented in their immigration packet because at POE (Detroit), my wife was instructed to take our daughter to the local health (Georgia), department for examination.

We really didn't think about it much until about two weeks after POE, we got a letter from the Georgia department of health instructing us to report to the local health department with our daughter. The letter also alluded that if we did not, Des's K2 immigration benefits could be in jeapordy. Basically they were saying that if she did not go to the health department, Georgia would notify USCIS.

We were sent to get her another chest XRay and bring it to the health department. The health department doctor put Des on a regimen of medicine for nine months. She had to take a series of pills every day. Once a month she had to go to the health department for a physical and blood test. All of this was at no cost to us.

At the end of nine months she was given a document that says she should never take a skin test again because it will show positive. It also states that she underwent the course of therapy and there is no problem.

Filed: Timeline

What you both do not understand is NO ONE in the philippines can get a visa without passing a medical exam. The OP will HAVE to pass the x-ray exam from the embassy's choice of hospital, which is ST. Luke's. Regardless of whether or not the OP resumes medication, if the OP is not in the clear healthwise, the OP will not receive a visa. St. Luke's will examine the OP and if the OP's xray test is positive, the OP will have to undergo a sputum test. The OP will also be given medication. The OP cannot receive a visa at any point without passing an extensive medical examination. Idk what you do in your country but since I have gone through the same process in the same country, I can attest to this.

And as to your previous statement, one can read between the lines. You said "OP, please go back to your primary Physician, get tested and follow through. If not for yourself but for others around you. We'll all be guessing here on VJ, it's only a Doctor who can tell what your status is for sure." You were assuming that the OP has already contracted the disease. The OP has also specified in the previous posts that the xrays were clear. Hence, the OP has been tested and was proven to be clear of TB. It has also been advised that the OP should go back to take a new set of medication. However, it is still a fact that a positive ppd skin test doesn't mean that a person has contracted TB and should not be treated or seen as such. You can argue that however much you want but the way you have spoken about it already demonstrates that you believe that the OP may be diseased. And please, just because I came from the Philippines does not mean that I cannot "comprehend English language as it's written". Perhaps, you should take that advice, as you do not write very well. =)

I would like to say that it is not a claim that we just made up ourselves. I have encountered this scenario many times already (annual medical check up, school admission medical check up, immigration medical check up etc etc) and have been told by competent medical professionals (doctors, nurses etc) the same thing. But we are by no means telling the OP to not take the medication. It has been suggested many times in fact. We say it so as not to cause unnecessary panic and because it is true. The x-ray test must still be performed as it usually is after a positive ppd skin test. X-ray test should also be performed every year. BTW, it doesn't matter if the OP lies. In the Philippines, an x-ray test is a requirement. AND NO ONE gets a visa without passing a rather extensive medical examination.

The selfishness of your posts continues to be alarming.

All you seem to care about is passing the USA visa requirement. I on the other hand am focusing on the OPs personal health. A medical Doctor prescribed the OP a TB regiment = FACT. They just don't place folks on TB regiments until after an XRay indicates otherwise. You're making the Philipines to be a backwards country, it's not, it's a progressive oucntry with seasoned Physicians. OP stopped taking her meds on her own accord = FACT. Gowon recommends, prudently I may add, that OP goes back to her Primary Care Provider and discuss her stoppage of prescribed medications = FACT. You argue otherwise and wants her to just keep on going and potentially spreading the germs = FACT.

" it is crucial that you finish the full course of therapy and take the medications exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Stopping treatment too soon or skipping doses can allow the bacteria that are still alive to become resistant to those drugs, leading to TB that is much more dangerous and difficult to treat" <<<<------- from a medical source

You are a resoundingly selfish human being :bonk:

Edited by Gowon

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The selfishness of your posts continues to be alarming.

All you seem to care about is passing the USA visa requirement. I on the other hand am focusing on the OPs personal health. A medical Doctor prescribed the OP a TB regiment = FACT. They just don't place folks on TB regiments until after an XRay indicates otherwise. You're making the Philipines to be a backwards country, it's not, it's a progressive oucntry with seasoned Physicians. OP stopped taking her meds on her own accord = FACT. Gowon recommends, prudently I may add, that OP goes back to her Primary Care Provider and discuss her stoppage of prescribed medications = FACT. You argue otherwise and wants her to just keep on going and potentially spreading the germs = FACT.

" it is crucial that you finish the full course of therapy and take the medications exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Stopping treatment too soon or skipping doses can allow the bacteria that are still alive to become resistant to those drugs, leading to TB that is much more dangerous and difficult to treat" <<<<------- from a medical source

You are a resoundingly selfish human being :bonk:

LOL :wow::rofl::bonk:

Met at school: August 2008

Dated Officially: Sept 22, 2008

Engaged: April 24, 2011

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2012-01-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-02

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-06-22

NVC Received : 2012-07-13

NVC Left : 2012-07-17

Interview Date : 2012-08-14

Interview Result : Administrative Review

USEM Document Request: Sept 11, 2012

Documents sent: Sept 24, 2012

Documents received: Sept 25, 2012

Forwarded to the Consular officer: Sept 28, 2012

Visa Issued: OCt 3, 2012

Final processing: Oct 3, 2012

Received text msg from 2go: Oct 5, 2012

Visa Received : 2012-10-06

US Entry : 2012-10-19

Applied for SSN: 11-06-2012

SSN Issued: 11-22-2012

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

In some countries TB vaccines are given to children, In some of these people a skin test will now show up positive, the Dr will do xray to rule out active TB, I have not heard of them treating these people with 6 mths meds but I am no Dr. but personally I believe the Dr had some reason to prescibe meds and it should be taken, the world is trying to eradicate diseases, so each one should be responsible in taking all the meds if its prescribed, the US govt have these requirements in place to prevent cross border contamination by irresponsible people. You should tell the Dr the meds was not completely taken

Filed: Timeline

In some countries TB vaccines are given to children, In some of these people a skin test will now show up positive, the Dr will do xray to rule out active TB, I have not heard of them treating these people with 6 mths meds but I am no Dr. but personally I believe the Dr had some reason to prescibe meds and it should be taken, the world is trying to eradicate diseases, so each one should be responsible in taking all the meds if its prescribed, the US govt have these requirements in place to prevent cross border contamination by irresponsible people. You should tell the Dr the meds was not completely taken

:thumbs:

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Some doctors in the Philippines don't have access to laboratories that do sputum test which is more accurate than the TB skin test that's why they advise people to take medication for TB with just a suspicion. The problem is that the skin test would show a positive even if you were given the vaccine when you were young even if you don't have TB.

OP, where are you in the process right now? If you already have a NVC number then you should go to St. Luke's Extension Clinic and do your medical over there. This is because they are capable to find out if you really have TB or not. If you don't have a NVC number yet, then I suggest that you go to St. Luke's Medical Center. The doctors over there can order a sputum test for you to confirm whether you really have TB or not. If you do need to undergo medication, you can just bring your records from St. Luke's Medical Center to St. Luke's Extension Clinic. As what other people said, the extension clinic do not recognize your medical records from most doctors. If you do need to take the medication, do not stop because you might develop resistance to the drugs that would make the treatment longer.

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I had a positive ppd skin test here in the US. But my chest cray was normal.it was all part of our yearly check up with our insurance. It was my first year in the US. I passed st. Luke's without any problem. My doctor gave me medication for 9 months. I didn't.drink it.because I was afraid I might be pregnant. And it turns out I was indeed pregnant after a month. My doctor quickly asked me if I took my tb medication. I said I didn't take it. She said, that's good. She said I'll start my tb medication when it will be safe for me.

as1cHr40g410000MTU3bHN8MDQ1MTAzNGx8c2luY2Ugd2UgbWV0IGluIG1hdGNo.gif

as1cJK60g410000MDAwMDEwN2x8MDE1NWxzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGZvdW5kIG91ciBsb3Zl.gif

event.png

as1cJYl0g410010MDAwNTQ2NnN8MDE1NnN8c2luY2Ugd2VkZGluZyBkYXk.gif

Settle down people :wow:

I currently work at a health care facility and it is a strict compliance to undergo TB skin test and I am positive from latent TB too.

FACTS:

1. Latent TB infection (LTBI) means the TB bacteria are sleeping or dormant in the body. For most people who breathe in TB bacteria and become infected, the body is able to fight the bacteria to stop them from growing and the bacteria become dormant, Has a normal chest x-ray and a negative sputum smear.

2. People with LTBI are not infectious and cannot spread TB bacteria to others.

3.Persons with LTBI are often advised to take antibiotics for several months, 9 months the most, in order to kill the sleeping bacteria and to prevent the development of active TB disease. Taking medications is an option/ prerogative however there is no guarantee that latent TB won't develop into active TB in the later period of life when human immune system weakens despite complete course of taking medications.

4. For persons whose immune systems are weak, especially those with diabetes or HIV infection, the risk of developing TB disease is much higher than for persons with normal immune systems.

5. In some other countries anti TB vaccines are given to kids, if so, later they will be tested positive from latent TB skin test. Further blood testing would determine if the positive latent TB is caused by past TB vaccine or exposure.

I decided not to take any medications. I mean what's the sense if it can't even guarantee total wipe out of the dormant bacteria??! I am fine. Not contagious. I just have to maintain a very strong immune system which I have by the way, by maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Manila St. Luke's will regulate chest x-ray and once u passed then you are good. The problem I am seeing in OP's case is that she started taking the medications and not completed it which actually makes the bacteria more resistant. Good luck! (F)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

When you get into your medical at St. Lukes you doctors there will not give you skin test. They will just run sputum and chest XRAY as long as your Xray and sputum tests is clear then you are good to go. If they see something on your Xray then they will want you to undergo medication that will lasts 6-8 months.

My XRAY result was clear. And I found out i was PPD skin test positive when I was already here in the states. I suggest you not to panic since you have the clear XRAY result.

Edited by charramal

K1

01-21-08 mailed I-129F

05-20-08 Medical

06-10-08 Interview - PASSED :D

06-18-08 Visa in hand

06-26-08 PRISM CFO Seminar

06-27-08 US

07-21-08 Wedding

AOS

09-06-08 Mailed AOS

09-29-08 Biometrics

10-06-08 SSN Card received

11-10-08 State ID

01-02-09 EAD Card received

02-25-09 I-485 approved

03-06-09 Conditional Green Card

ROC

01-20-11 Mailed I-751

01-28-11 NOA1 (1 year extension letter)

01-24-11 Biometrics

06-17-11 I-751 approved

06-22-11 Permanent Residency Card

NATURALIZATION

06-23-12 Mailed N-400

08-06-12 Early Biometrics

10-26-12 Interview (Fresno)

11-08-12 Oath Taking

I-130 MOM

11-13-12 Sent in I-130

11-20-12 NOA1

11-20-12 Check Cashed

All I could say is never go against medical advice unless you know any better.

Good luck!

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

SALAMAT!

My x-ray is clear & normal. Only my PPD Skin Test was positive. Should I go back to my doctor here in our province and continue my medication?

SALAMAT AGAIN!!!

You are schedule for medical at St. Luke's right?..i guess since you stop your medication from your doctor, continuing it will not do good. Just wait for your schedule of medical and follow what the doctor from St. Luke will say about it.

I-130 Submitted ---- 09/16/2011

NOA 1 ---- 09/21/2011

I-130 Approved ------ 04/30/2013

NVC Case Number -- 05/14/2013

Medical Exam ------ 05/28/2013

Case Complete ------- 08/06/2013

Interview -------- 09/09/2013

Visa Arrived ---------- 10/17/2013

POE SFO ------------- 10/21/2013

Delays maybe inevitable, but misery is optional!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She could have tested positive if she had received the BCG vaccines. My little one always test positive due to this and the Board Certified Doctor at St Lukes says it is normal because of that.

A real life case of how super-bugs are created.

One of my babies at work nearly died due to a superbug that was resistant to all bacteria but one drug. Thank God we had one drug left for her to treat (resistant to 15 antibiotics).

OP, you need to take the entire prescribed therapy as recommended by your doctor. Contributing to the creation of superbugs is inexcusable. We're lucky that my baby at work survived to fight off the infection. But if people like you continue to ignore prescribed treatment, the next case could be death--including your own. Please take this seriously.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.