Sebastiangator

Positive from TB skin test...

78 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

If your sputum microscopy and 6 week culture is defined as negative you still may be offered the 6 months of isoniazid but you are not forced to take it. You will still be labeled as LTBI but you may travel to America.

People have focused on radiograph identification and sputum results, and it has been incorrectly said that if you are LTBI then you have sleeping bacteria but this is not necessarily so. You "might" have sleeping bacteria, or you might not. LTBI does NOT mean you are either infected or infective but you might be or might become so later or might have no live M. tuberculosis in your body to ever become active.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to post this. I know more about TB now than I used to. My question is, if your 6-week culture is negative, how does taking the isoniazid help? Does that remove the chances of the person having a latent TB turn into an active one?

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you. My son's case was a primary complex cause he was just a yr old then, it was treated though, however you mentioned that St Luke won't consider outside test or findings other than the test they are going to do....would this mean we have to wait for 2-3 months and re schedule our interview date if we already have?And so the request for expedite would also be of no use..;(

Yes, they will decide based on their own findings. You will have to reschedule if your son will need a sputum test done. I think that you can still expedite it but the visa will not be issued without the final medical result from St. Lukes. So you can go with your interview and your son may pass it but they will give him a 221g i.e put him in administrative processing until they get that medical result.

Met at school: August 2008

Dated Officially: Sept 22, 2008

Engaged: April 24, 2011

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2012-01-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-02

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-06-22

NVC Received : 2012-07-13

NVC Left : 2012-07-17

Interview Date : 2012-08-14

Interview Result : Administrative Review

USEM Document Request: Sept 11, 2012

Documents sent: Sept 24, 2012

Documents received: Sept 25, 2012

Forwarded to the Consular officer: Sept 28, 2012

Visa Issued: OCt 3, 2012

Final processing: Oct 3, 2012

Received text msg from 2go: Oct 5, 2012

Visa Received : 2012-10-06

US Entry : 2012-10-19

Applied for SSN: 11-06-2012

SSN Issued: 11-22-2012

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm not going to bore anyone with a long post, but if you are interested, go to www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/pdf/tuberculosis-ti-2009.pdf to find out more. A person would be amazed at what you can find out yourself with a little research, instead of just listening to so many people shoot from the hip not really knowing what they are talking about. Now, I'm certainly not talking about everyone posting on here, just most. How many of you really even knew about the above link or the info in it before posting? I bet only a couple at most. It really is ok to say you don't know about something if you don't, you don't have to act like you do. TB by itself can be a horrible thing, but misinformation about it can be even worst.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to post this. I know more about TB now than I used to. My question is, if your 6-week culture is negative, how does taking the isoniazid help? Does that remove the chances of the person having a latent TB turn into an active one?

The mechanism of action is unknown but supposedly it encapsulates the bacteria to prevent spreading..Any person that has latent TB can have an active TB in the future once the immune system is weak or you are immunosuppressed.

I-130 Submitted ---- 09/16/2011

NOA 1 ---- 09/21/2011

I-130 Approved ------ 04/30/2013

NVC Case Number -- 05/14/2013

Medical Exam ------ 05/28/2013

Case Complete ------- 08/06/2013

Interview -------- 09/09/2013

Visa Arrived ---------- 10/17/2013

POE SFO ------------- 10/21/2013

Delays maybe inevitable, but misery is optional!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

The mechanism of action is unknown but supposedly it encapsulates the bacteria to prevent spreading..Any person that has latent TB can have an active TB in the future once the immune system is weak or you are immunosuppressed.

Thanks! :thumbs:

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm not going to bore anyone with a long post, but if you are interested, go to www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/pdf/tuberculosis-ti-2009.pdf to find out more. A person would be amazed at what you can find out yourself with a little research, instead of just listening to so many people shoot from the hip not really knowing what they are talking about. Now, I'm certainly not talking about everyone posting on here, just most. How many of you really even knew about the above link or the info in it before posting? I bet only a couple at most. It really is ok to say you don't know about something if you don't, you don't have to act like you do. TB by itself can be a horrible thing, but misinformation about it can be even worst.

Good point but most people will not read a forty page technical document, though perhaps some will. My post incorporates the posted document plus any more recent CDC recommendations.

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

Filed: Timeline

Good point but most people will not read a forty page technical document, though perhaps some will. My post incorporates the posted document plus any more recent CDC recommendations.

Right. The poster of the 40 page link could show me his astuteness by pasting the part on the document that okayed stopping the medication that was prescribed for TB.

Right. The poster of the 40 page link could show me his astuteness by pasting the part on the document that okayed stopping the medication that was prescribed for TB.

Right. Not unless you are going to make a pathophysiology of TB then you should read the 40 page link..lol..

I-130 Submitted ---- 09/16/2011

NOA 1 ---- 09/21/2011

I-130 Approved ------ 04/30/2013

NVC Case Number -- 05/14/2013

Medical Exam ------ 05/28/2013

Case Complete ------- 08/06/2013

Interview -------- 09/09/2013

Visa Arrived ---------- 10/17/2013

POE SFO ------------- 10/21/2013

Delays maybe inevitable, but misery is optional!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

The point of the post is that most people on here don't have a clue of what they are talking about, or the desire to learn. They just want to spit out whatever comes to mind. I am not trying to show anyone my astuteness on anything and if you had read my post, you would have known that. I don't try to say that I know much about it, but I am not to lazy to try to do research to become more informed. "Juliet and Steve" know what they are talking about, but I bet he has done plenty of research also. Vic20r, it was posted for those that might want to read it, and assuming that they could find other info on the sight that would be useful also. However, you do prove my point perfectly. Thanks.

Timeline

The short and sweet answer to your question is:

Yes, a 9 month treatment of Isoniazid will cure almost all latent (hidden) TB infections. Latent is often thought of as "sleeping" but this is not the case. TB bacteria does not "sleep" the way some virus can but the body can hold it in check so that it does not produce symptoms. The treament will simply kill it completely if a hidden infection exists.

The long-winded explanation for the few interesed in such...

TB is considered so important an issue in public health because TB is usually “sited” (located) within the airways. As such, when a person sings, coughs or sneezes, aerosols (tiny droplets) can spread as far away as 5 feet to be inhaled by another person who might be, and if exposed over a long period of time, often will become infected.

The TST test simply shows antibodies. It does not tell us if a person has live TB bacteria in them.

So to be sure that people coming to the US who “might” be infected are not infective they do the sputum test. If bacteria is present in the airways a sputum culture will usually grow the bacteria when cultured. If no TB bacteria grow when the sputum is cultured than the person does not have TB that can be transmitted by coughing, sneezing or singing.

But TB can occur in many other areas. NCBI estimates that about 11% of active TB cases are extra-pulmonary (outside the airways). When you get your physical the physician will palpate the glands of your neck and probably your groin and underarms. One reason is that TB can be located within the lymph nodes. So you could have TB lymphadenitis. You could have an active TB infection in your gastro-intestinal system, or in the lining of your lungs (the outside lining) or the lining of your heart. You could have a TB infection in your skin and you might not even be aware of it.

All of the above infections do not create a public health issue—it is unlikely that you can transmit such an infection to another. TB can occur is the uro-genital system (kidneys, #######, epididymus or urethra (the tube which urine passes through)). In this case you can infect an intimate partner and this is a particular problem in India where about 12% of extra-pulmonary TB cases are uro-genital cases.

The problem is that in many extra-pulmonary cases symptoms may not be present.

So a negative TST says “you do not have TB.”

A positive TST says: “you might or might not have TB.” It’s as simple as that.

So many opt to take the 9 month Isoniazid treatment just to be sure that they do not have a hidden infection. This decision is best made with the medical practitioner you are dealing with and I believe that if you lived in an area where TB was common or if you worked closely with an infected person they will recommend that you do. But if you received the TB vaccination as a child and lived where TB is uncommon, I believe many practitioners may say: “don’t bother.”

Much is said negative about Isoniazid but much is said negative about all meds. Much harm is done because people look up “adverse effects” and see all sorts of terrible things. But in reality most of those terrible things really are not significant.

Let’s take a study where 10,000 people take a new med. Over time 14 report “seizure,” who took the med. Another 10,000 took a placebo (a dummy). Over time 13 report “seizure,” so that 1 extra seizure is listed as an adverse effect of the med being tested. But was that one extra seizure in fact even related? Statistics would say no, yet it still gets listed. And so some will scream: Oh my, that medication causes seizures. Hmmm...if in a second study, if the group that received the med had 12 seizures and the placebo group had 14 seizures I wonder if the same people would say: "Oh my, that's a good med--it cured some people of seizures." In fact both positions are incorrect and many adverse effects fall into this category.

Isoniazid must be cleared from the system via the liver and the liver works hard to clear it from the body. Some people for some reason do have liver issues and for these reason every few months a “liver profile” is done—to make sure that your liver can handle the med. The liver is used to toxins, detoxification is one of its major functions. Alcohol (wine, beer) is a toxin. One or two ounces of alcohol a day over a lifetime do not adversely affect the liver. Drink 8 ounces a day and over time your liver will be destroyed. For the vast majority of people on Isoniazid there will be no liver problems. For approximately 1 in 1000 there will be. Isoniazid can also cause peripheral neuropahy (nerve damage) and this will affect approximately 2 people in 1,000 who take the med. This neuropathy is usually reversible though slowly but sometimes is not so as with any med there is risk and the potential benefits must outweigh the risk. Again a medical Practioner can assess the person and make recommendations. For instance a doctor might suggest Isoniazid treatment to a 17 year old person but not to a 60 year old person because the elder person is far more likely to have adverse effects, but only a medical practitioner can assess the picture.

Interestingly many people who do take the 9 month Isoniazid treatment report “feeling great.” This is because Isoniazid is a medication that has known anti-depressant qualities.

The short and sweet answer to your question is: Yes, a 9 month treatment of Isoniazid will cure almost all latent (hidden) TB infections.

I hope this answers your question because the subject is a distressing and important one to many who test positive.

As as afterthought--if you test positive for the TST you will never, ever be allowed into a Simian (monkey, ape, etc) laboratory. Human TB is horrendously infective to simians.

Also never, ever let your child or you feed an elephant. Throughout the world TB has become a serious problem for elephants and it has been a source of TB infection from elephants to humans. In Bangkok, Thailand there is a horrendous fine if you are caught feeding an elephant (which is almost always ignored) and in fact most, if not all "street elephants" and their mahouts (handlers) in Thailand are TB infected. Many American circus elephants have been made ill or have died from actine TB. Just what you wanted to know, eh?

Edited by Juliet and Steve

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

• 5 months later...
Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Settle down people :wow:

I currently work at a health care facility and it is a strict compliance to undergo TB skin test and I am positive from latent TB too.

FACTS:

1. Latent TB infection (LTBI) means the TB bacteria are sleeping or dormant in the body. For most people who breathe in TB bacteria and become infected, the body is able to fight the bacteria to stop them from growing and the bacteria become dormant, Has a normal chest x-ray and a negative sputum smear.

2. People with LTBI are not infectious and cannot spread TB bacteria to others.

3.Persons with LTBI are often advised to take antibiotics for several months, 9 months the most, in order to kill the sleeping bacteria and to prevent the development of active TB disease. Taking medications is an option/ prerogative however there is no guarantee that latent TB won't develop into active TB in the later period of life when human immune system weakens despite complete course of taking medications.

4. For persons whose immune systems are weak, especially those with diabetes or HIV infection, the risk of developing TB disease is much higher than for persons with normal immune systems.

5. In some other countries anti TB vaccines are given to kids, if so, later they will be tested positive from latent TB skin test. Further blood testing would determine if the positive latent TB is caused by past TB vaccine or exposure.

I decided not to take any medications. I mean what's the sense if it can't even guarantee total wipe out of the dormant bacteria??! I am fine. Not contagious. I just have to maintain a very strong immune system which I have by the way, by maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Manila St. Luke's will regulate chest x-ray and once u passed then you are good. The problem I am seeing in OP's case is that she started taking the medications and not completed it which actually makes the bacteria more resistant. Good luck! (F)

Hi! i want to know, what's going to happen if you have latent TB infection, negative xray, and has started taking the medications but decided not to continue it? is there a big chance of getting an active TB soon? thanks!

Hi! i want to know, what's going to happen if you have latent TB infection, negative xray, and has started taking the medications but decided not to continue it? is there a big chance of getting an active TB soon? thanks!

What will happen is your dormant latent TB will become resistant to the antibiotics- meaning, in case the latent becomes active you could hardly get rid of it. Is there a big chance of getting an active TB soon? It depends on your immune system, lifestyle, environment and other health issues. A latent TB usually turns in to active as when you become old and immune system dropped enormously.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you stop taking your medication you will have to start all over again, I'm over here stateside, where I was born and raised. I've been going to the Philippines since I was a baby and had multiple PPD Skin Tests, once when I was a baby, once in high school which were both negative. Then I went in our local clinic about a month ago since I was caught whatever the local cold/flu bugs which were floating around. While in there I was asked to take another PPD and the results came back borderline positive/negative. Rather being safe than sorry I; like yourself, was given a prescription for anti-TB for 6 months. I have a 4 year old cousin who came here to the US from the Philippines when she was 2 years old, she was also tested(positive) and is currently undergoing a 9 month treatment session. One way or the other you'll have to complete the prescription whether in PI or US. Just because the virus isn't currently active doesn't mean it can't become active sometime in the future, hence the precautionary measures taken. Taking preventitive measures are better than getting treated if it becomes active and you spread it to all of your loved ones, just saying. TB is taken very seriously here in the USA even missing one day of your medication during the 6 month period is considered a big NO-NO. This isn't the type of medication you can slack off on you have to be consistent at taking your medication on time. They won't prescribe additional refills unless you go in for regular checkups and bloodtests

Edited by YourHumboldtBud

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i have started my medication for a few days now and i will be leaving for the US very, very soon. will it be alright to bring my doctor's prescription and all the medications? just in case? i really want to finish my meds so that i wont have a problem in the future, but i cannot postpone my job opportunity anymore.

• 1 year later...
Timeline

If you stop taking your medication you will have to start all over again, I'm over here stateside, where I was born and raised. I've been going to the Philippines since I was a baby and had multiple PPD Skin Tests, once when I was a baby, once in high school which were both negative. Then I went in our local clinic about a month ago since I was caught whatever the local cold/flu bugs which were floating around. While in there I was asked to take another PPD and the results came back borderline positive/negative. Rather being safe than sorry I; like yourself, was given a prescription for anti-TB for 6 months. I have a 4 year old cousin who came here to the US from the Philippines when she was 2 years old, she was also tested(positive) and is currently undergoing a 9 month treatment session. One way or the other you'll have to complete the prescription whether in PI or US. Just because the virus isn't currently active doesn't mean it can't become active sometime in the future, hence the precautionary measures taken. Taking preventitive measures are better than getting treated if it becomes active and you spread it to all of your loved ones, just saying. TB is taken very seriously here in the USA even missing one day of your medication during the 6 month period is considered a big NO-NO. This isn't the type of medication you can slack off on you have to be consistent at taking your medication on time. They won't prescribe additional refills unless you go in for regular checkups and bloodtests

Hi. I would like to ask coz my 6 y.o son has also tested positive for TST but negative in chest xray. Will they allow my son to enter US and have his medication there instead? Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.