Sebastiangator

Positive from TB skin test...

78 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good Day!

I am positive on TB skin test. The doctor told me that I have to undergo a medication for 6 months to prevent my tb infection to become active. But I took my medication for 2 months only and stop taking the medicines. My questions are: Since I stop my medication, does it mean that my skin test tb positive is already worse? Does my TB infection will become an active TB already? And should I go back to the doctor to ask another medication again? And should I tell the doctors in Manila that I had been positive to tb skin test and I had been treated. Should I bring the copies of the medical records about positive skin test as proof that I am already treated? Or should I just not say anything at all because I heard from others that there no problem having positive in skin test as long as my x-ray is ok?

Thank You & MABUHAY!!!

Timeline

Is your TB active? I mean do you have symptoms of tb? If you stop your medication you might make your tb infection harder to treat or also called as drug resistant tb. Why did you stop your medication? Did you feel alright? Does the symptoms gone? Although you don't have the symptoms it is very important to continue your medication as directed by your doctor.

No. My TB is not active. The doctor said that I had just an infection on TB, that's the reason why my PPD skin test is positive because I was exposed to someone who got TB. I don't have any symptoms also and my x-ray is normal or ok. It was just the PPD skin test went to positive that's why I had my medication for 6 months for prevention to become active someday.

Salamat!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Since no one here really offered you a useful answer other than condemning you for not continuing your medication, here is what I can tell you. Having a positive skin test does not necessarily mean that you have tb. It just means that you were somehow exposed to it, as most of the philippine people are. You should have had an x-ray test if you had a positive tb skin test. That will determine whether or not you have TB. Keep in mind that you only get the skin test once!!! The rest of the time you will be undergoing an xray test. In my case, the reason why I had a positive skin test during my teens was because back in middle school I was already tested for it. Once tested you will always get a positive skin test. The nurse did not bother checking my past medical history and still gave me that skin test. You will be given another set of medication, so take them. You should also take that x-ray exam. St. Luke's will take an x-ray for you during your medical exam. AND YES As long as your x-ray is clear, you should have no problems.

Met at school: August 2008

Dated Officially: Sept 22, 2008

Engaged: April 24, 2011

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2012-01-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-02

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-06-22

NVC Received : 2012-07-13

NVC Left : 2012-07-17

Interview Date : 2012-08-14

Interview Result : Administrative Review

USEM Document Request: Sept 11, 2012

Documents sent: Sept 24, 2012

Documents received: Sept 25, 2012

Forwarded to the Consular officer: Sept 28, 2012

Visa Issued: OCt 3, 2012

Final processing: Oct 3, 2012

Received text msg from 2go: Oct 5, 2012

Visa Received : 2012-10-06

US Entry : 2012-10-19

Applied for SSN: 11-06-2012

SSN Issued: 11-22-2012

Timeline

First up, why did you stop taking the medication? It was given to you for a reason. And then you're gonna try to cover it up? Had you continue on with the prescribed medication, you'll only be a PPD converter and you'll be a converter for life, mind you. You're putting yourself and others at risk. I think the best thing to do is go back to the doctor and restart your medicine intake. Once you do that, you'll get better, your conscience will be clear and you'll have nothing to worry about. It's integrity my friend. INTEGRITY.

The doctor said that my PPD Skin Test was positive but the doctor also told me that it doesn't mean that I already have TB. He just said that maybe I was exposed to someone who had TB. So to prevent me to have TB in the future, he gave me medication to prevent my infection to become or develop into TB someday. And YES I have my appointment for my doctor already.

SALAMAT!!!

Timeline

No. My TB is not active. The doctor said that I had just an infection on TB, that's the reason why my PPD skin test is positive because I was exposed to someone who got TB. I don't have any symptoms also and my x-ray is normal or ok. It was just the PPD skin test went to positive that's why I had my medication for 6 months for prevention to become active someday.

Salamat!

I see... So you have a normal chest xray, right? and your tb is not active... So it's latent tuberculosis infection is not contagious but you still have to undergo your medication again to prevent the development of your tb.

Edited by Sherlyn

Good Day!

I am positive on TB skin test. The doctor told me that I have to undergo a medication for 6 months to prevent my tb infection to become active. But I took my medication for 2 months only and stop taking the medicines. My questions are: Since I stop my medication, does it mean that my skin test tb positive is already worse? Does my TB infection will become an active TB already? And should I go back to the doctor to ask another medication again? And should I tell the doctors in Manila that I had been positive to tb skin test and I had been treated. Should I bring the copies of the medical records about positive skin test as proof that I am already treated? Or should I just not say anything at all because I heard from others that there no problem having positive in skin test as long as my x-ray is ok?

Thank You & MABUHAY!!!

I find it hard to believe that the Dr. confirmed you were TB positive (whether active or inactive TB with just using the skin test and then placed you on meds, it is common knowledge that the skin test will show positive result for the vaccination you took as a child cause this to be. Did the Doctor take chest x-ray or give you the sputum test for confirmation. Yes, you can tell St. Lukes about the skin test and give them the medical findings if you want, they will not recognize the doctors findings nor the treament course even if you had completed it. They will issue you TB Skin test regardless of previous ones as it is required by the U.S Embassy, you may fail it, they will then do chest x-ray and the 3 day sputum test, if nothing shows then you have a 2 or 3 month wait to see if positive TB culture grows, if it does then you will have to undergo 6 month of medication to be given to you daily at St. Lukes which requires you moving to Manila during this time.

If you pass the sputum test at St Lukes this means you do not have active TB, if it is inactive TB they will still allow you to pass as you are not contagious, once stateside you may or may not be referred to the health unit for further testing and possibly be placed on meds for 6 months to insure that it not become active TB.

My wife had the same problem, failed the TB skin test, took chest x-ray showed small scarring, she then did the 3 day sputum test, 1st and 2nd day sputum sample was good, the 3rd day it was sent for culture. She called St. Lukes at the end of culture on date told to do so and was informed it was negative and to come back in 2 days for completion of shots and physical and then to U.S Embassy K1 Visa interview.

Hope this info helps

Timeline

I find it hard to believe that the Dr. confirmed you were TB positive (whether active or inactive TB with just using the skin test and then placed you on meds, it is common knowledge that the skin test will show positive result for the vaccination you took as a child cause this to be. Did the Doctor take chest x-ray or give you the sputum test for confirmation. Yes, you can tell St. Lukes about the skin test and give them the medical findings if you want, they will not recognize the doctors findings nor the treament course even if you had completed it. They will issue you TB Skin test regardless of previous ones as it is required by the U.S Embassy, you may fail it, they will then do chest x-ray and the 3 day sputum test, if nothing shows then you have a 2 or 3 month wait to see if positive TB culture grows, if it does then you will have to undergo 6 month of medication to be given to you daily at St. Lukes which requires you moving to Manila during this time.

If you pass the sputum test at St Lukes this means you do not have active TB, if it is inactive TB they will still allow you to pass as you are not contagious, once stateside you may or may not be referred to the health unit for further testing and possibly be placed on meds for 6 months to insure that it not become active TB.

My wife had the same problem, failed the TB skin test, took chest x-ray showed small scarring, she then did the 3 day sputum test, 1st and 2nd day sputum sample was good, the 3rd day it was sent for culture. She called St. Lukes at the end of culture on date told to do so and was informed it was negative and to come back in 2 days for completion of shots and physical and then to U.S Embassy K1 Visa interview.

Hope this info helps

SALAMAT FOR THE INFO.

Yes the doctor here in our province just gave me a PPD Skin test and the result was positive but my x-ray was always normal because I took my x-ray twice w/ in this year. And because of the PPD test result that's the reason why He gave me 6 months of medication but as what I said I stop the medication already. But I have a doctors appointment again to continue my medication because my fiancee told me that I have to continue my medication so that my medical exam in manila will be OK. Should I go back to my doctor and continue my medication?

THANK YOU!!!

Filed: Timeline

First up, why did you stop taking the medication? It was given to you for a reason. And then you're gonna try to cover it up? Had you continue on with the prescribed medication, you'll only be a PPD converter and you'll be a converter for life, mind you. You're putting yourself and others at risk. I think the best thing to do is go back to the doctor and restart your medicine intake. Once you do that, you'll get better, your conscience will be clear and you'll have nothing to worry about. It's integrity my friend. INTEGRITY.

This.

I'm always amazed of those who put getting to America over their safety, happiness, health, relationship, etc

People come first then the immigration process.

OP, please go back to your primary Physician, get tested and follow through. If not for yourself but for others around you. We'll all be guessing here on VJ, it's only a Doctor who can tell what your status is for sure.

Edited by Gowon

Timeline

Since no one here really offered you a useful answer other than condemning you for not continuing your medication, here is what I can tell you. Having a positive skin test does not necessarily mean that you have tb. It just means that you were somehow exposed to it, as most of the philippine people are. You should have had an x-ray test if you had a positive tb skin test. That will determine whether or not you have TB. Keep in mind that you only get the skin test once!!! The rest of the time you will be undergoing an xray test. In my case, the reason why I had a positive skin test during my teens was because back in middle school I was already tested for it. Once tested you will always get a positive skin test. The nurse did not bother checking my past medical history and still gave me that skin test. You will be given another set of medication, so take them. You should also take that x-ray exam. St. Luke's will take an x-ray for you during your medical exam. AND YES As long as your x-ray is clear, you should have no problems.

SALAMAT!

My x-ray is clear & normal. Only my PPD Skin Test was positive. Should I go back to my doctor here in our province and continue my medication?

SALAMAT AGAIN!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

A positive PPD test, skin test, means that one has been exposed to TB and antibodies are present in their body. PPD testing can continue to be performed many times as long as they are negative but once a positive rsult is found that person will ALWAYS show positive from that point. The medically appropriate follow up to a positive PPD is a chest xray to determine if the person has an active case of TB.

With a positive PPD and a clear chest xray a precautionary course of medication can be administered. Stopping this course of treatment does not necessarily result in one developing TB but should be discussed with ones physician.

I know many health care providers that have positive PPD tests and a clear chest xray that NEVER developed TB nor are they latent carriers as latent carriers can spread the disease with out showing signs/symptoms themselves.

TB is nothing to mess with and the testing, disease, and treatment does need to be properly managed by a competent physician

As a paramedic and Bloodborne Pathogens instructor I know this situation all too well.

K1 Visa Timeline:

03/21/2012 Met in person

03/23/2012 Engaged

04/09/2012 I-129F mailed

04/13/2012 I-129F Received at TSC, forwarded to VSC

04/13/2012 NOA1 Date

04/13/2012 Check Cashed

04/19/2012 Received NOA1 letter

10/18/2012 NOA2-No RFE

10/23/2012 Received MNL case number from NVC

10/24/2012 Paid visa fee and scheduled interview

11/08/2012 Medical Completed

11/09/2012 CFO seminar and interview completed

11/19/2012 Interview USEM- VISA APPROVED

11/26/2012 Passport (and visa) in transit from post

11/27/2012 Visa Packet delivered/Air booked-business class all the way!!

12/05/2012 flew to Manila-CFO sticker-USA Bound

12/06/2012 Arrived USA-POE Washington DC!!!!!!!!!

12/12/2012 Wedding

event.png

event.png

got confused somewhere, where did you get your skin test at the province or at St. Lukes? please enlighten me. thanks a lot

}Our Journey{

--October 22, 2010 * Started talking online "As friends"

--November 20,2010 * Became a couple (Started Dating)

--December 18,2011 * Met in person for first time @ Davao Int. Airport

--January 3,2012 * Returned to the US (saddest day of our lives)

--May 19,2012 * I-129F finally sent YAY!

--May 21,2012 * Packet 1 was received at Dallas Lockbox Facility

--May 23,2012 * First Notice Of Action (NOA1)

--May 24,2012 * $340.00 Check is Cashed By Department of Homeland Services

--May 29,2012 * Form I-797C NOA1 Received From USCIS California Service Center

--August 16,2012 * APPROVED I-129F!!! WOO! :) :) :)

--August 20,2012 * Second Notice Of Action Rcvd (NOA2 Hardcopy)

}*{Patience brings things worth waiting for}*{

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.