coloso

can petition my father if he has prostate cancer?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

How is your father in the USA now, on what kind of visa?

Prostate cancer is not a reason for denial, but they may want proof you can pay for his health insurance/ care over and above the usual 125% poverty line, as he will not be elligible for medicad/ medicare for a long time.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from AOS from Family Visa to Bringing Family of USC as OP's dad is outside the country ***

As he is not in the USA, you won't need the I-485, you will file a petition for him via the I-130 and he will then apply for a visa. See this Guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents-overview You are looking at a cost of around $1500, could be more or less depending on the medical fees in your country, cost of translating documents etc.

The issue of proving health care can be paid for still applies. If his cancer is treatable, it would likely be cheaper to have that done in the home country and immigrate later.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Please be advise that if your father has been diagnosised with prostrate cancer,then he should be invovle with some type of treatment plan right now. Yes cancer can be treatable, but he should be on a treatment or maintaince plan.

If that is not the case, than when he goes for his Medical, you will be asked to do more test than an average immagrate intent.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

He has prostate cancer but is in perfect conditions, he works and is really Ok.

But I am concern if they will consider that before approving his I-485

I have another questions how much will be the total cost to petition my father?

As Penguin pointed out, it will cost about $1500 for the immigration visa paperwork.

Your father's prostate cancer will affect his chances of getting a visa. If he is granted an immigration visa, who will pay for the cost of treating a foreign citizen for prostate cancer? The US does not give out green cards so foreign nationals can come and get free medical treatment.

Your father will need to prove that he or you (his sponsor) has sufficient resources to pay for the cost of his treatments so that he does not become a "public charge" in order to obtain an immigration visa.

If he is granted a visa, he can come to the US. But if he gets Medicaid to pay for his treatment, you as the sponsor will be responsible for repaying the US government for all the benefits your father receives.

Filed: Timeline

If he is granted a visa, he can come to the US. But if he gets Medicaid to pay for his treatment, you as the sponsor will be responsible for repaying the US government for all the benefits your father receives.

I think that it should be noted the the Affidavit of Support creates a cause of action, and it is up to various government agencies, or the beneficiary his, or herself, to pursue that action in civil court. I would be more afraid of the latter, than the former. However, the liability is real, and despite that government is unlikely to purse any action at this time, as local, and state governments become more stressed for entitlement funding, that trend may change quickly.

My wife is feeling the pressure from her siblings to bring her mother and father to the US, with the promises, "Oh, don't worry! We will help you support them and they can come live with us. Besides, they can get medicaid and social security." I don't buy that, and neither does the wife.

Edited by The Patriot

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I think that it should be noted the the Affidavit of Support creates a cause of action, and it is up to various government agencies, or the beneficiary his, or herself, to pursue that action in civil court. I would be more afraid of the latter, than the former. However, the liability is real, and despite that government is unlikely to purse any action at this time, as local, and state governments become more stressed for entitlement funding, that trend may change quickly.

My wife is feeling the pressure from her siblings to bring her mother and father to the US, with the promises, "Oh, don't worry! We will help you support them and they can come live with us. Besides, they can get medicaid and social security." I don't buy that, and neither does the wife.

There's no reason you should buy it. They won't be eligible for SSI until they've been permanent residents for five years, regardless of the affidavit of support. They can get emergency medicaid, but that's only supposed to be used for urgent care requiring immediate treatment. It's not supposed to be used for outpatient or routine care. That's not to say that the system isn't abused, though. There have been people who have been admitted to hospitals for months at a time when their treatment really should be done in a convalescent hospital or nursing home, or even on an outpatient basis, simply because they wanted emergency medicaid to continue paying for their treatment. Hospitals often go along with this. They don't care as long as they're being paid.

What do your wife's siblings suggest for support and routine care for the first five years?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

No, they cannot get Medicaid or Social Security.

Green card holders are prohibited from receiving certain benefits for the first five years of residency. Regular Medicaid is one of the prohibited benefits. Google "legal permanent resident 5 years bar Medicaid" for the details.

Social Security is available to those who pay into it through payroll taxes. Mom and Dad never paid into them, so they do not qualify for Social Security. It's ludicrous for the US to be the "pension system" for foreign nationals who never contributed to Social Security.

What do your wife's siblings suggest for support and routine care for the first five years?

Considering that the one sibling that is most vocal in wanting the parents here, overstayed a work visa, and is sharing a house with other immigrants from the same country, I think they don't have a credible plan at all. But, that doesn't stop the fellow immigrants my wife runs into at work, etc., from laying on the guilt and telling her how easy it would be to take advantage of America's generosity.

No, they cannot get Medicaid or Social Security.

I know, and the wife knows as well. That doesn't stop the pressure from people that don't know, or think it is okay to abuse the system, especially living in a state that doesn't seem to do a good job of verifying eligibility for Medicaid and other benefits. As far as getting Social Security, or Medicare, they still need to get the 40 qualifying quarters of work. If the immigrant is getting close to retirement age, that is just not going to happen right away, if ever.

Can anybodytell me the steps I need to take and which form I have to summit here in the STATEs? and which form in the Original country? Aslo do I have to fill all the forms at once?

You will need to submit a form I-130 here in the states.

Here is an overview, same link that Penguin posted: http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents-overview

and here is a printable guide from the DHS: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/A1en.pdf

a friend of mine petitioned for her mom and dad to come here, but they both had health issues in the past, the dad had prostate cancer too, and the mom had some sort of other cancer, although they are well now, when they went for their interview they were denied, on the basis that they will become a burden to the govt based on their health issues, they know healthcare is very expensive here, so even if u have a sponsor they might think its still not enough to cover healthcare

6/29/12 AOS Package mailed Chicago Lockbox

7/01/12 Package delivered

7/09/12 NOA email notification

7/14/12 Received hard copy of NOA in the mail

7/16/12 Received biometric appointment letter for 8/01/12

7/23/12 Successful walk in Biometrics

8/15/12 Received email for interview notice

8/17/12 Received interview notice in the mail

9/10/12 EAD card ordered, (didnt get email or text checked it on USCIS website)

9/18/12 EAD card received in the mail

9/18/12 Interview done, approved on the spot!

9/19/12 Got email that approval notice was mailed out on 9/18/12

9/22/12 Received Approval notice in the mail

9/24/12 Got email that greencard was sent in the mail

9/26/12 Received greencard in the mail, thank you lord!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.