MissingWife

Applying for Spouse Visa

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this website today and it has been amazing!!! Makes me feel more comfortable that there's a website where ppl are discussing the situation i'm going through. I wish everyone good luck! Here is my situation.

I am a Canadian Citizen and I have a green card that I got through a relative over 10 years ago. I moved to the US 3 months ago after receiving a job offer in Texas. My fiancée is currently living in Montreal, QC, Canada and we are getting married in November. We will be applying for a spouse visa using the I-130 application form and would like to know is this the only option for us? I'm asking because i'm afraid it will take 2-3 years to receive a permanent resident visa for her which is a long time as we miss each other everyday. If it is 2-3 years, we are both ready but are interested if there is/are any other options.

She is currently applying for jobs in Texas hoping a company will sponsor her but it has been difficult because she works in the medical field (Radiology Technician) and we feel hospitals/clinics aren't willing to sponsor her.

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi. I always thought you have to be an US citizen in order to bring your spouse to US.

Anyways here some links to the USCIS site that may be useful for you.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=10093e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=10093e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=4c2515d27cf73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=4c2515d27cf73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

You can always call USCIS customer service to see if you have other options.

Good luck in your journey! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a thought, but have you considered applying for US Citizenship so you can apply for your spouse being a citizen yourself instead of being a permanent resident applying to bring a spouse? This would for sure be the faster option. Looks like you might meet requirements to apply for your own citizenship:

"You May Qualify for Naturalization if:

You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years and meet all other eligibility requirements, please visit our General Path to Citizenship page for more information."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d84d6811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=d84d6811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

Plus, the nice thing is you can do them both at the same time, i.e. start the naturalization process and file the I-130, because you can notify the USCIS if you become a citizen of the US while you're waiting for your I-130 to process.

I-130 Sent : 2012-05-09

I-130 NOA1 : 2012-05-16

I-130 Approved : 2012-07-31

NVC Received : 2012-08-08

Sent DS-3032 by email: 2012-08-17

Received I-864 Bill : 2012-08-08

Pay I-864 Bill: 2012-08-08

Downloaded I-864EZ online: 2012-08-09

Receive IV Bill : 2012-08-20

OPTIN for electronic processing: 2012-08-29

Pay IV Bill : 2012-08-31

Completed DS-260 online : 2012-09-07

Emailed Completed I-864EZ and supporting I-864 documentation: 2012-09-18

Emailed IV scanned docs (birth cert, etc) : 2012-09-26

Case Completed at NVC : No idea, I never got a case complete email...?

NVC Left : 2012-10-11

Consulate Received :

Interview Date : 2012-11-21

Interview Result : approved!!

Visa Received :

Timeline

Hi, thanks everyone for all the replies. I am definitely interested in applying for US Citizenship but when I read the requirements, it says the following "Have continuous residence in the United States as a green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of the filing the application" Since I have only been living in the United States for only the last 3 months (Was living in Canada my whole life previously and just completed my University education April 2012), I don't think I can yet apply for it. Please tell me if i'm wrong. Thank you.

Just a thought, but have you considered applying for US Citizenship so you can apply for your spouse being a citizen yourself instead of being a permanent resident applying to bring a spouse? This would for sure be the faster option. Looks like you might meet requirements to apply for your own citizenship:

"You May Qualify for Naturalization if:

You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years and meet all other eligibility requirements, please visit our General Path to Citizenship page for more information."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d84d6811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=d84d6811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

Plus, the nice thing is you can do them both at the same time, i.e. start the naturalization process and file the I-130, because you can notify the USCIS if you become a citizen of the US while you're waiting for your I-130 to process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, thanks everyone for all the replies. I am definitely interested in applying for US Citizenship but when I read the requirements, it says the following "Have continuous residence in the United States as a green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of the filing the application" Since I have only been living in the United States for only the last 3 months (Was living in Canada my whole life previously and just completed my University education April 2012), I don't think I can yet apply for it. Please tell me if i'm wrong. Thank you.

How can you still have a valid green card if you haven't been residing at all in the US?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How can you still have a valid green card if you haven't been residing at all in the US?

I was wandering the same--if you got the grteencard 10 yrs ago and just now started to live in the USA.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was wandering the same--if you got the grteencard 10 yrs ago and just now started to live in the USA.

Yes you have abandoned the GC. You are very lucky it wasn't revoked at the border when you crossed. Now the last thing you want to do is apply for citizenship as they'll realize you have abandoned your GC and you will be put into deportation proceedings...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Timeline

I am a Canadian Citizen and I have a green card that I got through a relative over 10 years ago. I moved to the US 3 months ago after receiving a job offer in Texas.

So are you here with that greencard issued 10 years ago or are you here on a work visa? If work visa, there is a process to bring your spouse.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Hi, the reason my greencard wasn't revoked at the border was because when at the border, I told them I was in College and University and am completing my studies by April 2012. When I told them this, it was accepted and put on my file and after that, when crossing the border, I just had to provide proof I was a student. I am currently in the United States under a green card. Can I have both a work visa and green card? If yes, can I apply for a work visa and then have the options available under a work visa to bring my spouse to the United States?

Also, I don't believe they will take away my green card now since I am now living in the USA with a permanent career job at a large international company. Also, my brother and sister have had there green card almost as long as me and recently applied for US Citizenship (They moved to the US 2-5 years ago) and my brother is now a US Citizen and my sister should be soon a US Citizen.

Thanks.

Edited by MissingWife

Timeline

Hi, the reason my greencard wasn't revoked at the border was because when at the border, I told them I was in College and University and am completing my studies by April 2012. When I told them this, it was accepted and put on my file and after that, when crossing the border, I just had to provide proof I was a student. I am currently in the United States under a green card. Can I have both a work visa and green card? If yes, can I apply for a work visa and then have the options available under a work visa to bring my spouse to the United States?

Also, I don't believe they will take away my green card now since I am now living in the USA with a permanent career job at a large international company. Also, my brother and sister have had there green card almost as long as me and recently applied for US Citizenship (They moved to the US 2-5 years ago) and my brother is now a US Citizen and my sister should be soon a US Citizen.

Thanks.

You have a greencard----no need for a seperate work visa.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

You have a greencard----no need for a seperate work visa.

Oh, I know. The only reason I was asking is because I know with a work visa, I would be able to bring my wife here sooner under a dependent visa.

I have another question. My wife and I are having a civil union due to us wanting to be to apply for a spouse visa as soon as possible. Does anyone know if we can apply for a copy of the marriage certificate after getting married? Also, does anyone know if the email method for receiving the marriage certificate is accepted as a document for the us visa? Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oh, I know. The only reason I was asking is because I know with a work visa, I would be able to bring my wife here sooner under a dependent visa.

I have another question. My wife and I are having a civil union due to us wanting to be to apply for a spouse visa as soon as possible. Does anyone know if we can apply for a copy of the marriage certificate after getting married? Also, does anyone know if the email method for receiving the marriage certificate is accepted as a document for the us visa? Thanks!

I don't understand. You aren't already legally married?

Timeline

Nope, we are getting married in November. The reason why i'm asking questions is because once we get married, we want to apply for a US spouse visa immediately and we want to be prepared and make sure we have all the documentation required to avoid any delays.

Edited by MissingWife

Timeline

Nope, we are getting married in November. The reason why i'm asking questions is because once we get married, we want to apply for a US spouse visa immediately and we want to be prepared and make sure we have all the documentation required to avoid any delays.

Since ur not a USA citizen....Its a much, much longer process. All the best

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.