The Mean Lady

Starting to File Paperwork

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello!

I finally got approval from my work to pay for my husbands transfer from Canada to the US (I am an American Citizen) but I feel completely clueless!

I'm reading these guides, and I just feel like I'm COMPLETELY lost, so please please forgive me because I am WELL aware that there are placed to find my answers, I just feel like sometimes there's too MUCH information.

I am mildly dyslexic so having long explanations often times just confuses me more than anything.

We have been married for almost 2 years, and so far, all I can see is that I need to file the following forms:

i-130

g-325a

This is according to the guide on this site... but I really feel like I'm missing something!

I can't believe that all I have to do is fill out just (2) sheets?

Also, I'm looking at the i-130 check-list and it says:

"4.Copy of the full Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport. This is used to establish citizenship."

Is it asking for copies of MY information? And is it really asking me for copies of all of the blank pages of the passport?

Finally,

"15.Evidence of a bonafide marriage (see note below for what to include) "

We only share a lease in Canada. Is this applicable?

Co-mingling of finances... does this just mean to show he's on my bank account?

How many of these examples should I provide? Just as much as possible?

And where would one get a sworn affidavit? Is that just notarized?

Any other relevant documentation: Would this include pictures?

Thanks in advance for any help

-Krystal

oldlady.gif

Timeline

I read slightly about proof of relationship in the stupid RFE thread and am now freaking out.

I've pasted directly from there since I saw the last post was in late August lol-

Are they a bit more lenient on this if you've already been married for 2 years?

We've been together about 3.5 years, and married for the past 2.

I don't have any chat logs that I could possibly find, and quite honestly, I'd be mortified to send the few emails that I still have.

All of our phone calls happen between the (2) shared phones on my verizon account because I bought him one 3 years ago.

It was entirely too expensive to keep buying calling cards at the time.

Is it helpful to see that I've had this US/Canada plan for 3 years?

Stamped visits for myself are impossible because he's Canadian and I just drive across the border.

Does anyone know if the Canadian Border office can give me a history of visits?

I know they can see them on their screen, just don't know if they will give me something.

Getting him to take pictures with me is like pulling teeth, so I don't even have a plethora of pictures.

In fact, aside from our Wedding Photos, I think I seriously might have a handful of photos of the two of us!

I'm SERIOUSLY freaked right now.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello!

I finally got approval from my work to pay for my husbands transfer from Canada to the US (I am an American Citizen) but I feel completely clueless!

I'm reading these guides, and I just feel like I'm COMPLETELY lost, so please please forgive me because I am WELL aware that there are placed to find my answers, I just feel like sometimes there's too MUCH information.

I am mildly dyslexic so having long explanations often times just confuses me more than anything.

We have been married for almost 2 years, and so far, all I can see is that I need to file the following forms:

i-130

g-325a

This is according to the guide on this site... but I really feel like I'm missing something!

I can't believe that all I have to do is fill out just (2) sheets?

Also, I'm looking at the i-130 check-list and it says:

"4.Copy of the full Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport. This is used to establish citizenship."

Is it asking for copies of MY information? And is it really asking me for copies of all of the blank pages of the passport?

Finally,

"15.Evidence of a bonafide marriage (see note below for what to include) "

We only share a lease in Canada. Is this applicable?

Co-mingling of finances... does this just mean to show he's on my bank account?

How many of these examples should I provide? Just as much as possible?

And where would one get a sworn affidavit? Is that just notarized?

Any other relevant documentation: Would this include pictures?

Thanks in advance for any help

-Krystal

Okay first don't feeak out. You are okay. I have asked the moderators to move your topic to the Canada forum. They have some great knowledgable people there who have done this and that and can better serve you K. In the mean time I can answer some of your immediate questions. But you must breathe.

1. I can't believe that all I have to do is fill out just (2) sheets? There are just the two forms. But also get the G-1145 which tells them you want ttext and email alert when you get your first notification.

2. Is it asking for copies of MY information? Yes the US citizens information to prove citizenship either ALL pages of passport or birth certificate.

3.And is it really asking me for copies of all of the blank pages of the passport? YES

4. We only share a lease in Canada. Is this applicable? A lease with both your names is excellent proof of an on-going relationship.:thumbs:

5. Co-mingling of finances... does this just mean to show he's on my bank account? anything finaicial with both your names, credit cards, life insurance, health insurance,...

6. How many of these examples should I provide? Just as much as possible? Well what I have seen Canada isn't too tough except when it comes to proving domicile (but thats later) you'll get some good tips from folk on that I am sure. But the more the better just don't overwhelm. That would be my embassy.:blink:

7. And where would one get a sworn affidavit? Is that just notarized? No affidavits do not hav eto be notarized. Just statments from people who know of your relationship since the beginning. Its secondary evidence. Not require. You guys live together. Thats a plus.

8. Any other relevant documentation: Would this include pictures? pictures with friends and family (both sides if u have um), receipts showing travel, movie tickets,.. just really things you do together as a couple ongoing.

Hope this helps.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Okay first don't feeak out. You are okay. I have asked the moderators to move your topic to the Canada forum. They have some great knowledgable people there who have done this and that and can better serve you K. In the mean time I can answer some of your immediate questions. But you must breathe.

1. I can't believe that all I have to do is fill out just (2) sheets? There are just the two forms. But also get the G-1145 which tells them you want ttext and email alert when you get your first notification.

2. Is it asking for copies of MY information? Yes the US citizens information to prove citizenship either ALL pages of passport or birth certificate.

3.And is it really asking me for copies of all of the blank pages of the passport? YES

4. We only share a lease in Canada. Is this applicable? A lease with both your names is excellent proof of an on-going relationship.:thumbs:

5. Co-mingling of finances... does this just mean to show he's on my bank account? anything finaicial with both your names, credit cards, life insurance, health insurance,...

6. How many of these examples should I provide? Just as much as possible? Well what I have seen Canada isn't too tough except when it comes to proving domicile (but thats later) you'll get some good tips from folk on that I am sure. But the more the better just don't overwhelm. That would be my embassy.:blink:

7. And where would one get a sworn affidavit? Is that just notarized? No affidavits do not hav eto be notarized. Just statments from people who know of your relationship since the beginning. Its secondary evidence. Not require. You guys live together. Thats a plus.

8. Any other relevant documentation: Would this include pictures? pictures with friends and family (both sides if u have um), receipts showing travel, movie tickets,.. just really things you do together as a couple ongoing.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your insight!

Though I'm not sure this should go to the Canadian forum since it is specifically about filing my i-130.

My biggest concern right now is my second post on the proof of relationship.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Hey just out of curiosity, how bad is it if when they ask 'why do you want to come to the US' my husband answers 'I don't'?

Because honestly he doesn't. But he finally realized it's only fair to give the states a chance because that's what we had agreed upon before getting married. I left behind a LOT of family and it's difficult for me to work remotely from the computer all of the time so I think he just finally caved and literally said to me 'it's only fair.'

I know you're not supposed to lie soooooo... just wondering if I should help him come up with a slightly more appealing answer lmao

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Thank you for your insight!

Though I'm not sure this should go to the Canadian forum since it is specifically about filing my i-130.

My biggest concern right now is my second post on the proof of relationship.

Thats why posting in the Canadian forum is key. You have to realize every embassy is different. People that have gone through the embassies in Canada know exactly what is required what a CO wants to see.

Even the proof of relationship. Since you live together you won't have the mountain of texting, IM'ing and emails like what I had to submit (219 at USCIS, 1486 pages).

But definately pictures, gatherings you have been at receipts things like that. The before during and after the wedding showing a timeline. And your proof you already have face time living together. Imagine the rest of us proving we are in a relationship 8000 miles apart. So your part is easy. For you I would focus more on the co-minging of your lives and finanaces showing ongoing relationship.

Edited by dwheels76

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

Hey just out of curiosity, how bad is it if when they ask 'why do you want to come to the US' my husband answers 'I don't'?

Because honestly he doesn't. But he finally realized it's only fair to give the states a chance because that's what we had agreed upon before getting married. I left behind a LOT of family and it's difficult for me to work remotely from the computer all of the time so I think he just finally caved and literally said to me 'it's only fair.'

I know you're not supposed to lie soooooo... just wondering if I should help him come up with a slightly more appealing answer lmao

Yikes well if he says that why would they want to give him a Visa. Maybe say honestly "because I love my wife". But yes tell him please don't answer negatively. I read once someone said to the question why you want to move to America they said "cuz I hate americans". Good gollie :wacko:

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

Thats why posting in the Canadian forum is key. You have to realize every embassy is different. People that have gone through the embassies in Canada know exactly what is required what a CO wants to see.

Even the proof of relationship. Since you live together you won't have the mountain of texting, IM'ing and emails like what I had to submit (219 at USCIS, 1486 pages).

But definately pictures, gatherings you have been at receipts things like that. The before during and after the wedding showing a timeline. And your proof you already have face time living together. Imagine the rest of us proving we are in a relationship 8000 miles apart. So your part is easy. For you I would focus more on the co-minging of your lives and finanaces showing ongoing relationship.

But I real feel like we have virtually no information.

Our finances stay separate for the most part. Given that I have to deposit american cheques in an american bank, and he's on a canadian. He's on my canadian account in case of emergencies when I'm in the US and he needs to get rent out of my account.

He NEVER takes pictures with me. I think I have like 2 from this past christmas if I'm lucky. 1 from niagara falls last july, then probably the wedding in october 2010 before that lol. He really really hates pictures! Like I said, I'm really really hoping that the whole being married already for 2 years thing brings some leniency because who in their right mind would want to put up a facade with someone for THIS long just to get into the US... especially with my being here for almost 3 years now... I'm only speculating, but I would thing that someone sponsoring someone illegally wouldn't go through the trouble of moving to THEIR country lmao

oldlady.gif

Filed: Timeline

The thread is in the appropriate place at the moment. :) You will definitely want to check the "Proving Domicile" pinned thread in the Canada forum, though.

The question about why you want to move to the US is not about your feelings. Leave feelings out of it. They are asking for the reason related to the visa application.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Look. The fact of the matter is that if he wants to move to the US, then he'll need to be a little more positive.

Just use those pictures (make sure to get copies because you won't get them back) and tell him not to be a douche and tell the officer that he doesn't want to go to America. He does want to go. There are just different senses in which someone wants to go. If he didn't want to go in at least some sense (ex. to be with you), then he wouldn't be going. He isn't lying if he just says that he wants to give it a shot in the US for your sake.

He sounds stubborn, to be quite honest. He will probably have a change of heart when he meets more people (as long as he isn't the hermit type). I really clash with these types of people.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

Look. The fact of the matter is that if he wants to move to the US, then he'll need to be a little more positive.

Just use those pictures (make sure to get copies because you won't get them back) and tell him not to be a douche and tell the officer that he doesn't want to go to America. He does want to go. There are just different senses in which someone wants to go. If he didn't want to go in at least some sense (ex. to be with you), then he wouldn't be going. He isn't lying if he just says that he wants to give it a shot in the US for your sake.

He sounds stubborn, to be quite honest. He will probably have a change of heart when he meets more people (as long as he isn't the hermit type). I really clash with these types of people.

We're both hermits. We just sit inside all day and enjoy eachother's company.

I think his biggest distaste stems back to christmas when my boss was drunk and told him 'it's going to be you or me and I want your wife back in the office' soooo he doesn't exactly want to move back for work reasons (and work is paying for the whole process =X)

The thread is in the appropriate place at the moment. :) You will definitely want to check the "Proving Domicile" pinned thread in the Canada forum, though.

The question about why you want to move to the US is not about your feelings. Leave feelings out of it. They are asking for the reason related to the visa application.

Thanks, I actually didn't even realize there was a Canada forum until someone above suggested moving this there lol

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Hi and welcome to Visa Journey.

It might make it easier for you to understand the visa process if you know that it is really a two step process. You are at step one which is requesting permission from the US government for your husband to apply for a visa to move to the US. The I-130 form is the petition requesting that permission. The government wants to know, first, if you are eligible to request this permission - which is why they want proof of your citizenship, and second proof that this relationship between you exists. So, you will definitely include your marriage certificate and if you have any pictures from the wedding, or a copy of any invitations you might have sent out, you can include those too. The lease in both of your names is great. Is your husband listed as your emergency contact at work, or a beneficiary for health care or life insurance or even your pension or a 401(k) beneficiary? Those help to prove you are financially involved. Does he have you listed as a beneficiary for his Canadian pension or for Canada Pension Plan? I realize it can be difficult to 'prove' a marriage when you are still living in two separate locations, but if you think creatively, you may find other evidence that shows how you have mingled together your personal, social and financial lives.

Part two happens after you receive permission from the government to sponsor your husband. You will receive more forms and a request for more documents from the National Visa/Benefits Center, which is where you will fill out the information they need to give him a green card, and where you will prove you make enough money to support him. Your husband will have to arrange for an immigration based medical in Canada (there are only 3 or 4 locations where they are available so he will probably have to travel there), get a Canada wide police record search showing he has no criminal record, and then he will have to attend an interview at the US Consulate in Montreal.

If he is asked at the interview why he wants to go to the US, he can honestly state that it doesn't really matter to him what country the two of you are in but that the two of you are together - and that you have to work in the US, so he wants to be with you. For many of us Canadians, the only reason we have moved to the US is to be with our spouses and we would have been just as happy remaining in Canada. He doesn't need to lie, although it would probably be less problematic if he didn't say he doesn't want to move to the US, just that he wants to live with you, and you are in the US.

Good luck - and it does all get easier to understand as you go through everything.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Thanks, I am working on the form and wondering.

Step 21. If Filing for your husband/wife, give last address at which you lived together.

I don't TECHNICALLY live in Canada, I am just allowed to visit him for extended periods of time given that we're married, but I'm on the lease. So should I fill this out with this address? Or just leave blank?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm concerned because it wants a date period and if I put To: PRESENT I don't want them confused thinking I don't live in the US...

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Does it allow you the option to add additional information perhaps on an extra page? If so, you can either type in the Canadian address or write n/a and then on the extra page write: Step 21: additional information - then explain that you have never 'lived' together since you are living in separate countries but you share a lease on the Canadian address and you visit him there regularly. You officially reside in the US but you have a home together in Canada where you stay when you visit.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Does it allow you the option to add additional information perhaps on an extra page? If so, you can either type in the Canadian address or write n/a and then on the extra page write: Step 21: additional information - then explain that you have never 'lived' together since you are living in separate countries but you share a lease on the Canadian address and you visit him there regularly. You officially reside in the US but you have a home together in Canada where you stay when you visit.

Genius! Thank you!

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.