overnatapos

RFE Vermont.... forever?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I seem to be at the end of my wits in here so please, please, please tell me we're not the only one in this but here's our scenario.

I filed for our i-129f on January 2012 and then on May 2012, I got an RFE stating that I missed checking one box, which is weird because I made a copy of the documents I sent and I checked it and I DID check the box in question. Anyway, I completed the RFE and returned back to USCIS, which they posted to having received on the end of May. It's been pending ever since. They initially said they would have an answer by 60 days of which came and go with nothing. I called the 1800-number and got an email stating that they would have an answer by 30 days... of which came again, but alas, nothing. I called the 1800-again and they said they can't do anything since they already processed a request before and suggested I email the Vermont office, which I did... and the officer just told me that they are backlogged and working on i-130 and they have no idea on when they will get back to the RFE. I even emailed the head USCIS, which went back to the same answer from Vermont. I reached out to my congressman, who diligently requested an update on my behalf but *STILL* got the same answer. It's already October and it's been 9 months. Is it just bad luck or what? Any encouragement or tips or anything really would help my sanity right now.

Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I seem to be at the end of my wits in here so please, please, please tell me we're not the only one in this but here's our scenario.

I filed for our i-129f on January 2012 and then on May 2012, I got an RFE stating that I missed checking one box, which is weird because I made a copy of the documents I sent and I checked it and I DID check the box in question. Anyway, I completed the RFE and returned back to USCIS, which they posted to having received on the end of May. It's been pending ever since. They initially said they would have an answer by 60 days of which came and go with nothing. I called the 1800-number and got an email stating that they would have an answer by 30 days... of which came again, but alas, nothing. I called the 1800-again and they said they can't do anything since they already processed a request before and suggested I email the Vermont office, which I did... and the officer just told me that they are backlogged and working on i-130 and they have no idea on when they will get back to the RFE. I even emailed the head USCIS, which went back to the same answer from Vermont. I reached out to my congressman, who diligently requested an update on my behalf but *STILL* got the same answer. It's already October and it's been 9 months. Is it just bad luck or what? Any encouragement or tips or anything really would help my sanity right now.

Thank you.

The USCIS website says that VSC is currently working on I-129F case files from the end of February. That doesn't mean that all January cases would have been completed. It only means that the most recent case file any adjudicator worked on was filed in late February.

Only USCIS knows what's really going on with your petition. I doubt they're being truthful about not having time to get back to your RFE. The adjudicator usually keeps the case file when they send an RFE, and they usually work on cases where they've received a response to an RFE before starting any new cases each day. They usually issue a decision within days of receiving an RFE response. It's very unusual for them to receive an RFE response and then not have any information five months later.

What happened to your case file is anybody's guess. The adjudicator might have lost it. USCIS often won't admit this to the petitioner, but they would usually be honest about this to a congressional representative's office.

One possibility is that some adjudicators were told to stop work on certain case files in anticipation of receiving deferred action requests. I know that USCIS publicly states that deferred action requests were not going to affect processing times of other types of petitions, but an IO at the San Francisco field office told me otherwise. She also indicated that she didn't think the processing times on the USCIS website would be updated to reflect the slowdown.

Try your Senator's office next.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

The USCIS website says that VSC is currently working on I-129F case files from the end of February. That doesn't mean that all January cases would have been completed. It only means that the most recent case file any adjudicator worked on was filed in late February.

Only USCIS knows what's really going on with your petition. I doubt they're being truthful about not having time to get back to your RFE. The adjudicator usually keeps the case file when they send an RFE, and they usually work on cases where they've received a response to an RFE before starting any new cases each day. They usually issue a decision within days of receiving an RFE response. It's very unusual for them to receive an RFE response and then not have any information five months later.

What happened to your case file is anybody's guess. The adjudicator might have lost it. USCIS often won't admit this to the petitioner, but they would usually be honest about this to a congressional representative's office.

One possibility is that some adjudicators were told to stop work on certain case files in anticipation of receiving deferred action requests. I know that USCIS publicly states that deferred action requests were not going to affect processing times of other types of petitions, but an IO at the San Francisco field office told me otherwise. She also indicated that she didn't think the processing times on the USCIS website would be updated to reflect the slowdown.

Try your Senator's office next.

Thanks, Jim. I actually did try my Senator's office (hey, it's re-election time!) and they were quick to call me back... to say that they can refer me to the Congressman again since it's a Federal matter. There goes another wall, I guess. I actually do think that the adjudicator working on my case is indeed working on more urgent matters, it's just the run-around and the waiting and the non-tentative dates that kept on piling up (from 60 days then add 30 days then add 15 days then add to sorry, no time frame!) can really run anybody's confidence. The email that they sent to the Congressman, which the good 'ol Congressman forwarded me, did say that they are holding off i-129f because of the i-130, so far, consistent with what they were telling me. But I really just wanna know if there's more I can do that I haven't tried or if this is really the case nowadays. Also, since you mentioned January 2012, when someone gets an RFE, do they still belong to the January 2012 group or when the RFE was acknowledged?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you.

why don't you try an infopass appointment? once you get, it go and be firm on your request for a solution. Best of luck

Timeline

Thank you.

Hi there!

We had the same situation when we send my application for citizenship they send my application back stating that We missed to filled out the address part. And same as yours we did filled out everything. So we resend it back and called the USCIS. We also contacted our US Senator in Hawaii regarding the application. Since then my papers moving and I received an email that they got my application and gave me a new case number. I suggest to keep calling the USCIS and asked help from your State Senator. Hope it helps.

Magie

Timeline

Contact senator

Hi there!

We had the same situation when we send my application for citizenship they send my application back stating that We missed to filled out the address part. And same as yours we did filled out everything. So we resend it back and called the USCIS. We also contacted our US Senator in Hawaii regarding the application. Since then my papers moving and I received an email that they got my application and gave me a new case number. I suggest to keep calling the USCIS and asked help from your State Senator. Hope it helps.

Magie

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Contact your Federal US Senator or Federal US Representative, NOT your State Senator or State Representative. USCIS is a Federal agency, NOT a State agency. :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

My application hasn't even been reviewed yet and it was received 2/21/2012. I emailed my U.S. Senator Wednesday Sept 26th and got a reply back and a call on the 27th. The Senator's office sent an official inquiry form for me to fill out which I did. I mailed it back on Saturday. I will see where this gets me. This Senator is not up for re-election. I also emailed my U.S. Congressman and I have yet to get a reply back and he is up for relection. I quess he will not be getting my vote this time around.

Hang in there and hope you'll get a development soon!

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.