Bad_Daddy

Gay TV show "New Normal" gives Republicans a voice

53 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-tv-show-normal-gives-republicans-voice-210023474.html

By Jill Serjeant | Reuters – Tue, Sep 25, 2012

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Gay TV comedy "The New Normal" takes a surprising political turn on Tuesday with an episode touching on hot button election issues - from all points of view.

The NBC show about the efforts of two gay men to have a baby through a surrogate, takes on racism, health care, abortion, religion, same sex marriage and the Republican and Democratic contenders for the White House in the episode called "Obama Mama".

Creator Ryan Murphy, one of Hollywood's prominent supporters of President Barack Obama, said he wanted to give as many points of view as possible through the show's different characters.

"I thought it would be interesting to do an episode that is not what you would expect us to do," Murphy told reporters in a conference call on Tuesday.

"You have two clearly gay liberal guys at the heart of the show. But we all thought it would be great to do an episode where we presented Ellen Barkin's character's point of view, the conservative point of view, the Republican point of view, in a way that hopefully was as eloquent," Murphy added.

"The New Normal" is based on Murphy's own life as a gay TV producer and writer who is exploring surrogacy with his partner. NBC's Salt Lake City affiliate, owned by a subsidiary of the Mormon Church, in August said it would not broadcast the show as it felt "inappropriate on several dimensions, especially during family viewing time".

Tuesday's "Obama Mama" plot revolves around an upcoming school mock election debate that sees couple Bryan (Andrew Rannells) and David (Justin Bartha) at loggerheads with their hard-core Republican future mother-in-law Jane, played by Barkin.

In a stand-off with Jane over Obama, and a failed bid to prove they have plenty of black friends, Bryan and David are forced to admit that in some ways they are "phony liberal frauds" who "talk the talk but don't always walk the walk".

Murphy said he was "very proud of the episode" to be aired on Tuesday night on NBC, adding that he was inspired by 1970s TV comedy "All in the Family" and the heated debates between its characters on social and political issues.

NBC, Murphy said, gave the episode the network's full support.

"I have never been part of or written something that was so politicized so I was anticipating a little bit more push and pull because it is an election year, but they were very supportive," he said.

Murphy, who also created edgy high school musical comedy "Glee," and "American Horror Story", said "The New Normal" is very close to his heart.

But he added, "One of the fun things about this show is the ability I have to send myself up. I like to make fun of myself and to skewer what people think of me."

"The New Normal" is getting an average audience of 6.4 million viewers, and is particularly popular with 25-54 year-old women, NBC said.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The 'sodomy' involved was apparently with female subordinates!

A yeah, and when Ann Coulter does The View, both sides are represented as well. 5 to 1.

B-)

Didn't you know that two guys getting it on is now considered "the new normal" ? :wacko:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

The 'sodomy' involved was apparently with female subordinates!

Don't bring facts into this. They hate that.

Didn't you know that two guys getting it on is now considered "the new normal" ? :wacko:

Yep. And about time, too! :thumbs:

Edited by Evylin

Don't bring facts into this. They hate that.

Yep. And about time, too! :thumbs:

Exactly! Two guys giving each other oral sex and corn holing each other is the new normal.

sigbet.jpg

Exactly! Two guys giving each other oral sex and corn holing each other is the new normal.

Yep! Yay for two consenting adults being able to live their lives together happily and do whatever they'd like in the privacy of their own homes. Welcome to 2012. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I find it fascinating that alleged heterosexuals should spend so much time indulging in homosexual fantasies...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Right? It's oddly obsessive. I never spend this much time or effort talking about someone else's sex life, gay or straight.

Then again, I'm also not the kind of person who hates a state so much that I read every article on the internet about it and post them for all to see, either.

Oh well, whatever floats their boat. ;)

Edited by Evylin

Yeah, it wasn't enough to say "two men having sex".. he had to get graphic. Interesting and weird.

Graphic? Iv'e seen a lot more "graphic explanations" in regards to men and women on here. So do we change the game when it comes to homosexuals? Instead of saying "homosexual" how about we say... "gay" or maybe "gender confused". And instead of saying "illegal immigrant" how about we say "undocumented workers".

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Right? It's oddly obsessive. I never spend this much time or effort talking about someone else's sex life, gay or straight.

Then again, I'm also not the kind of person who hates a state so much that I read every article on the internet about it and post them for all to see, either.

It could just be habit. He frequents a regional subforum on VJ where talk of moist gleaming vulvas is par for the course and considered totally normal.

Graphic? Iv'e seen a lot more "graphic explanations" in regards to men and women on here.

Links. I'm up for some VJ pron.

Graphic? Iv'e seen a lot more "graphic explanations" in regards to men and women on here. So do we change the game when it comes to homosexuals? Instead of saying "homosexual" how about we say... "gay" or maybe "gender confused". And instead of saying "illegal immigrant" how about we say "undocumented workers".

How would "gender confused" be an appropriate term for gay?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

http://www.nytimes.c...e-gay.html?_r=0

Homophobic? Maybe You're Gay

Why are political and religious figures who campaign against gay rights so often implicated in sexual encounters with same-sex partners?

In recent years, Ted Haggard, an evangelical leader who preached that homosexuality was a sin, resigned after a scandal involving a former male prostitute; Larry Craig, a United States senator who opposed including sexual orientation in hate-crime legislation, was arrested on suspicion of lewd conduct in a men's bathroom; and Glenn Murphy Jr., a leader of the Young Republican National Convention and an opponent of same-sex marriage, pleaded guilty to a lesser charge after being accused of sexually assaulting another man.

One theory is that homosexual urges, when repressed out of shame or fear, can be expressed as homophobia. Freud famously called this process a "reaction formation" — the angry battle against the outward symbol of feelings that are inwardly being stifled. Even Mr. Haggard seemed to endorse this idea when, apologizing after his scandal for his anti-gay rhetoric, he said, "I think I was partially so vehement because of my own war."

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org