C&Q

Confused about name change

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello everyone,

my husband and I are ready to submit my AOS app but I'm honestly a lil confused about the name change.

Sep 12 - 2 weeks after my arrival - I went to the SSO and applied for a SSN with my new name. The lady said it didn't get thru and she will have to send the documents to Homeland Security (?) to verify them and then will get back at me. So far so good.

We have everything that we need to apply for my AOS but I just now realized that I listed my maiden name on all the forms. Is it okay for me to put my married name on the forms even though the name change isn't officially completed?

Edited by C&Q

If you want your green card in your married name, put your married name on all of your AOS paperwork. The marriage certificate you will provide is enough "proof" of the name change.

hi there. i submitted all of my paperwork with my new last name and didn't change it for probably a month after with social security (i obviously wouldn't advise waiting that long). i asked this question from an info pass officer before i submitted the paperwork if it was ok to put my new last name before i changed it officially and he said that it was fine and actually very common and that as long as a certified copy of the marriage certificate was included, we should be fine. so far, everything went through okay without issues and we have our interview today with immigration (fingers crossed!). good luck!

AOS:

5/29/2012: Married
6/29/2012: Sent AOS Package (I485, I130, I131, I765)
7/02/2012: *Date Received Shown on NOA for I485, I130, I131, I765
7/13/2012: Text/Email NOA Received
7/16/2012: Hard Copy NOA Received
8/07/2012: Biometrics Appointment
8/27/2012: I131 and I765 (AP and EAD) APPROVED - 59 Days
9/05/2012: EAD Received
9/26/2012: Interview (I485 and I130)
9/26/2012: Conditional Green Card APPROVED - 89 Days
10/8/2012: Green Card Received

ROC:

9/4/2014: Sent ROC Package (I751)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello everyone,

my husband and I are ready to submit my AOS app but I'm honestly a lil confused about the name change.

Sep 12 - 2 weeks after my arrival - I went to the SSO and applied for a SSN with my new name. The lady said it didn't get thru and she will have to send the documents to Homeland Security (?) to verify them and then will get back at me. So far so good.

We have everything that we need to apply for my AOS but I just now realized that I listed my maiden name on all the forms. Is it okay for me to put my married name on the forms even though the name change isn't officially completed?

Hi. Regarding your SSN: When you applied for your SSN, did you submit your marriage certificate also?

As you are about to send your AOS forms, that means that you still did not receive your EAD (employment authorization)so when you receive this, you will have to take to the SSN office for they to include in your SSN card that you are allowed to work. Otherwise the SSN card that you will receive will not valid for work (this is what they explained to me).

I applied for it on Aug 10 (showing her my marriage cert, passport and the EAD) and the lady said that she would send the copy of these documents for verification. I waited 1 month and 2 weeks until I received it yesterday!

Remember that the name you put in your AOS forms (maiden or married) is the name that will appear on your Green Card so I would suggest you to include your married name in your AOS forms... otherwise you would have a green card under your maiden name but a SSN card under your married name which can be a little confusing. Try to match both cards under the same name.

I dont know if this answered your questions but this is what I got from my personal experience. :D

hi there. i submitted all of my paperwork with my new last name and didn't change it for probably a month after with social security (i obviously wouldn't advise waiting that long). i asked this question from an info pass officer before i submitted the paperwork if it was ok to put my new last name before i changed it officially and he said that it was fine and actually very common and that as long as a certified copy of the marriage certificate was included, we should be fine. so far, everything went through okay without issues and we have our interview today with immigration (fingers crossed!). good luck!

Good luck in your interview today! :thumbs:

Timeline

Ok. I just wanted to make sure so I wouldn't be doing anything illegal.

Good luck for u as well and I hope everything went well!

Timeline

Hi. Regarding your SSN: When you applied for your SSN, did you submit your marriage certificate also?

As you are about to send your AOS forms, that means that you still did not receive your EAD (employment authorization)so when you receive this, you will have to take to the SSN office for they to include in your SSN card that you are allowed to work. Otherwise the SSN card that you will receive will not valid for work (this is what they explained to me).

I applied for it on Aug 10 (showing her my marriage cert, passport and the EAD) and the lady said that she would send the copy of these documents for verification. I waited 1 month and 2 weeks until I received it yesterday!

Remember that the name you put in your AOS forms (maiden or married) is the name that will appear on your Green Card so I would suggest you to include your married name in your AOS forms... otherwise you would have a green card under your maiden name but a SSN card under your married name which can be a little confusing. Try to match both cards under the same name.

I dont know if this answered your questions but this is what I got from my personal experience. :D

Good luck in your interview today! :thumbs:

Yes, I'm trying to get everything under my new name so there won't be any confusion in the future. I just thought that applying for a SSN is the 'official' name change and if that isn't done, I can't put my married name on any forms as that would be illegal. I guess I'm just paranoid lol.

Thanks a lot though. Guess I will go thru the forms again and change it :]

Edited by C&Q

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Ok. I just wanted to make sure so I wouldn't be doing anything illegal.

Good luck for u as well and I hope everything went well!

No worries about it being illegal. The SSN is not an ID, and it does not work as proof of legal name change. Your certified marriage certificate is the legal name change document. Fill out the AOS forms with your married name. It is not cheap to change the name on your green card once it is issued, so you need to apply with the name you will be using from now on.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

No worries about it being illegal. The SSN is not an ID, and it does not work as proof of legal name change. Your certified marriage certificate is the legal name change document. Fill out the AOS forms with your married name. It is not cheap to change the name on your green card once it is issued, so you need to apply with the name you will be using from now on.

Thank u! Will do!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.