noname0

The uncertainty and worries are killing me!

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

We applied for the adjustment of my status, from K1 visa holder in March. No news since (status on the USCIS website still shows "initial review").

We hired an attorney to prepare the papers and file the application for us. The attorney also did our k1-visa application before.

He asked us to send the documents below:

US CITIZEN SPOUSE:

1. 2 Passport Style Photographs

2. Copy of Tax Returns and W-2s

3. Original Letter of Employment stating your current position, wage, and hours worke.

4. Filing fee check

ALIEN SPOUSE—PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:

1. Copy of Marriage Certificate

2. Six Passport Style Photographs

3. Copy of all pages of Passport

4. Medical Examination

So we only sent the regular copy of the marriage certificate, not a certified one.

Now reading a topic on visajourney, people say the copy must be certified.

I've been waiting for 6 months without any news, and now the new information about the certified copy of the marriage certificate really makes me worried. Is that the reason why my case has been so silent since?

Why didn't the attorney ask us to send a certified copy?

The worries are killing me!

Does anybody have any idea?

Edited by noname0

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Has your file been transferred to the California Service Center? If yes, this long wait is "normal", they are slow there.

Do not worry too much about the marriage certificate. A regular copy can work, and if you have an interview, you will bring the original and show it. If you didn't receive a RFE yet, no need to worry too early. Prepare a certified copy if that makes you feel better, and have it ready IN CASE you receive a RFE for this reason. :)

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

Why didn't the attorney ask us to send a certified copy?

The worries are killing me!

Does anybody have any idea?

Don't worry.

In most places, you cannot get the original of your marriage certificate - it is kept on file. What you get is a "certified copy." USCIS does not require that you send

originals. In this case, the original is the "certified copy." You sent a copy of that, which is the right thing to do. What they are actually asking for is the copy of the

certified copy.

The reason they ask for a "certified" copy is so that people do not send a copy made BEFORE the marriage is recorded officially.

Oh, thank you so much! I was so worried. Yes, my case was transferred to CSC, and the long wait has been draining me out physically and emotionally.

I got the marriage certificate from the magistrate, I think so, after the wedding. And when the lawyer asked us to send a copy of it, I just got it scanned and sent the scanned copy to him.

By the way, for the ROC later (I know it's way too early to worry about it but I just want to know), do I need a regular copy of the documents like driver's license, bank statements, insurance plan, etc... or do I need certified copies of them?

Thank you.

Edited by noname0

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Oh, thank you so much! I was so worried. Yes, my case was transferred to CSC, and the long waiting has been drained me out physically and emotionally.

I got the marriage certificate from the magistrate, I think so, after the wedding. And when the lawyer asked us to send a copy of it, I just got it scanned and sent the scanned copy to him.

By the way, for the ROC later (I know it's way too early to worry about it but I just want to know), do I need a regular copy of the documents like driver's license, bank statements, insurance plan, etc... or do I need certified copies of them?

Thank you.

I think you are confused as to what a certified copy is. You would just need to make copies of your IDs, statements, and other evidence documents.

A certified copy of the marriage license means one that you get from the court after the marriage is registered. The seal and signature of the clerk makes it a certified copy. You cannot make a copy of your bank statements 'certified'.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I think you are confused as to what a certified copy is. You would just need to make copies of your IDs, statements, and other evidence documents.

A certified copy of the marriage license means one that you get from the court after the marriage is registered. The seal and signature of the clerk makes it a certified copy. You cannot make a copy of your bank statements 'certified'.

Yes, thank you. And yes, I was confused. I was actually thinking about "notarized" copies.

So later when I apply to remove my condition I'll only need to send regular copies of stuff like bank statements, utility bills, driver's license...?

My questions may sound silly. But I must admit that I don't know anything about the process. And the long waiting has been stressing me out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, thank you. And yes, I was confused. I was actually thinking about "notarized" copies.

So later when I apply to remove my condition I'll only need to send regular copies of stuff like bank statements, utility bills, driver's license...?

My questions may sound silly. But I must admit that I don't know anything about the process. And the long waiting has been stressing me out.

Yes, you just need regular copies. Don't worry about that. I know this process is long and stressful, but you can relax about the copies at least. :)

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.